Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

NOMINAL CEILING HEIGHT - ours seems to be way under!!!

Page 1 of 1
ok, we are at brick stage. I have measured our ground floor ceiling height ( concrete slab to bottom roof truss)

we are supposed to have 2590mm NOMINAL ceiling height!

my measurement today is 2570mm!!

that is without plaster or floor coverings!

so once they are installed it's say our finished height would be close to say 2540mm

being 50mm UNDER what we thought would be our ceiling height.

so is this acceptable?? what is "nominal" and can the builder get away with this?
I have no idea what nominal is... But I thought 2400mm was standard ceiling (once there is an actual ceiling of course)?
What does your plan state?
I thought the standard ceiling sizes were

2440mm (standard)
2590m (8/12ft)
2740mm (9ft)
2990mm

Generally I thought carpenters worked in lots of 75mm/150mm
25490 ???

pretty high LOL
side elevation plan says

"o/a plates 2570"

contact says nominal ceiling height 2590
Minimum ceiling height is 2400mm in a habitable room, its usually 2400mm or 2700mm to reduce timber and plasterboard offcuts.
But check your plans, project builders always allow for 2400mm and then you pay 10k extra for 2700mm.
I repeat...

side elevation plan says

"o/a plates 2570"

contact says nominal ceiling height 2590

if you check the henley website in inclusions for the sahara q1, you will see it clearly stated there. it's even printed on the web.
Look likes someone screwed up.

The contract and plans are different,

Framing was done as per plans not contract. Carpenters wouldn't know what's in the contract.

50mm isn't huge, but I'll be asking them for a substantial discount as they are unlikely going to fix it, it's not a simple fix like taking off the roof/posi trusses and adding a 90x45mm pine on top of the existing frames.

I feel for you, good luck. Stand your ground and get a substantial discount.

Tengals
If your still around what happened with this I think we have the same issue?
Related
27/06/2023
Drive way channel drain

General Discussion

Yeah mine about 9 metres long and 8 wide with slope of 25% at one point but the end point of the outlet is past the side of garage and if he concretes allowing for…

24/09/2023
Best way to attach perspex to an aluminium fence

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Using a rivet sounds like a good idea thanks

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum