Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Setback query

Page 1 of 1
Our council has setback requirements of 4m. However our plans reflect a council crossover of 3.5m plus a setback of 5m... Does our house really have to be 8.5m from the kerb? I feel like borrowing a trundle wheel and measuring our neighbour's setback. I have paced it and it paces at about 5m from kerb. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Hi,

I'm not sure where you are situated in the street, but do have a corner block? that could be the reason why.
No it's not a corner block.
maybe it means that you have a setback of 5m AND a council crossover of 3.5m. . . so the 3.5m is part of the 5m?
Our tender clearly states a setback of 5 m but when we did our driveway plan today I saw it down as 9.5 m by 5.5m...hmmm!!! A few emails sent tonight to clarify but plans are already submitted to council. This means our backyard will be small, if it's the case!
could the council have stuffed up?
I actually thought that the set back was taken from where your land begins. With your example if the set back is 5m and the council land to the road is 3.5m and the drive is 9.5m then it may be that the house is set 1m back. This could be the case if the other side is closer than 5m as it is meant to be the average. (at least I thought).

I do not believe that the council land is included in the setback.

Would be interested to know what you determine. Which state are you in. If WA I have the R-codes.... but me thinks you are not in WA.

Ciao
Mark
Aussiemark is right. set back starts from where your land begins and not from road.
True, setback is from where your front boundry starts .
Thanks for all your responses!!!! I was really confused. You are all right- setback is from the council boundary, not the kerb!
Related
30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

6/07/2023
Cumberland Council (NSW) setback requirements

Building A New House

This was on google. Development controls 2.3.1 Front setback D1 New buildings within residential areas shall adhere to a front building line, which is 5.5-6m to the…

3/04/2024
Front setback minimum requirement for battleaxe plot

General Discussion

Thanks Draftroom that definitely helps a heap. We are still at the very early stage of planning to see what kind of house would fit on our plot. While we are on a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum