Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a deck in Geelong- Building Permits

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I am planning to build a deck 6m x 4m (24m sq approx) roughly 250mm above ground level in Geelong, since is not really a raised platform is a building permit required? There are no easements anywhere nearby. My neighbour hired a chippy around a year ago, had no build permit and slapped one up, told me its not structural therefor a build permit isn't needed
I'm pretty sure you only require a permit if the decking is attached to the house. Word of warning. The Geelong City Council unit who deals in these matters contains some very arrogant, self righteous people (they're not all like this mind you). I know from experience. If you're thinking of selling your house any time in the near future, I'd be at calling up the Council and checking to see if I need one.
I believe any deck over 20m2 needs a building permit in Vic. As mentioned above it could be worth a call to the local council or private building surveying company. I have found as long as you are polite they seem to be very helpful.

250mm is not much height for a deck so just make sure there is plenty of ventilation and the timber you use has the appropriate level of treatment, so that it doesn't rot/ decay.
ELL
I believe any deck over 20m2 needs a building permit in Vic. As mentioned above it could be worth a call to the local council or private building surveying company. I have found as long as you are polite they seem to be very helpful.

250mm is not much height for a deck so just make sure there is plenty of ventilation and the timber you use has the appropriate level of treatment, so that it doesn't rot/ decay.

Depends on the council. Brimbank dont need one if its not attached to the house or <500mm from the ground, and 1mt from the boundary.
Related
6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

28/12/2023
Building a low level deck

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks. I was thinking of using either Extreme Joist or LOWDECK timbers for joists. Any idea what sets them apart and which…

8/06/2023
Does my deck need handrails?

General Discussion

I've just built 3 stairs off a landing out the back and been told by the private certifier I need hand rails sorry tried to attach a pic but couldn't mine don't have sides…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum