Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Snowing's Build : Restart the whole process...

Page 1 of 1
Having fun with roller coaster ride on my build.. Finally know what I need and what to do. It takes a few years to learn things I need and come to this point. Going to own build my house.

For the last few years, I have been going through a lot of searching to find something suitable for my new home. With one failed design and one that I don't really like. I have decided to pick it up and design my own house. Finally I have my own concept plan established and now undergoing drafting process.

11/21/2015 - land clearing
08/21/2016 - concept design restart
11/21/2016 - initial draft
03/22/2017 - 3rd draft

update: Clearing weeds within the block is a game changer... the whole plan is revoked. Now starting all over again.
We are still revising the plan...

Ground level where guest bedrooms and garage are...

First floor is where everything is..

We have made some changes to the windows in living room and dinning room already.
We really like to family/living room as the ceiling is cathedral type.
Not too sure if we missed anything... still trying to think.
Anyone got any comment?
We have received the draft site plan... The driveway looks really long.

Long driveway... and lots of gardening to do.
Elevations for the house.. somehow east and west should be opposite..

Oh well.. a lot of changes on this part and waiting for the update...
Looks an interesting house.

A few thoughts.

Also with a bedroom over the garage I would be looking to increase the fire protection of the garage ceiling over a standard ceiling.

Brian
Brian: Thanks for your advise.

I am actually working on the master bedroom windows and thinking of removing them as well since there should be enough light from the sliding door.
For the WIR and en-suite, we will leave it to stay as it is as we have views on the west side as well, also the bath will be changed to a spa bath. This is why we have L-shape window there.
Agree with you on the furniture part too. Worst come to worst, we can pull them up from the deck.

I will check with designer to make sure to increase the fire protection for garage ceiling. This is one thing I didn't know about.
snowing
Brian: Thanks for your advise.

I will check with designer to make sure to increase the fire protection for garage ceiling. This is one thing I didn't know about.

Not sure if there is an Australian requirement, but in the UK there are extra requirements for habitable rooms above garages.

See this link for more info
http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=1358
bashworth
Not sure if there is an Australian requirement, but in the UK there are extra requirements for habitable rooms above garages.

I will keep this in mind when start the engineering part.

Now waiting for the concept design with all the amendments.. going to be ready early new week.
Finally most of the floor plan are done. Now moving outside.
Sorting out a lot of things on driveway this week. Getting the driveway design right for the block is so tricky. The driveway is very long currently which we want to shorten that for sure, but given the slope, I have no idea yet if there are other alternatives.

Does anyone have any information to share for a driveway on slope block?
hey got some serious retaining walls there! But on the driveway your builder and drafter should help you. we just finished one because planners wanted it shown section through it , grade and all. cheers. pm me if want to know more leighton at clark new homes
It great that driveway finally worked out. A great deal of changes involved and basically the whole ground floor is flipped and good thing is that I am going to have a nice rumpus there and with cost saving as well. I am really impressed with the design. All the cost are well laid out and estimations are getting closer and closer.. The cost for building on this block of land is quite high thou..
It has been a long time since I last updated my build.
Things are going slowly as building on a sloping block really takes a lot of energy and time to plan.
Finally the plan is submitted to council for planning permit along with lots of reports. ie: arborist report for trees on my neighbor block. lol
I guess all I can do now is wait and rest for a few weeks before starting the hard work again.
Here is the updated plan..

Ground Floor

First Floor

It took really a long time to come up with this plan. Lucky to work with a nice builder and they don't mind me bugging them from time to time.

Any comment for the plan?

I will upload the siting plan later as we are still sorting out some issues with trees.. not on my block. lol
Hi. I'm often looking at sloping blocks for my build project. Currently looking at a fairly rectangular one at moment, good size of 1000 sq, steep slope down hill, south bayside.

Can you share any cost details of your build. Trying to come up with budget before making offer on any land. Don't want to waste any ones time if I can't afford it.
Related
20/03/2024
Experience with HBCF insurance claim process NSW

Building A New House

I apologise for any confusion, but your understanding is correct. We approached our situation differently based on advice from…

29/08/2023
Landscape construction drawings and process

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks very much! And would the landscaper/contractor generally involve the engineer or is that something the client would do? Thanks for your help

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum