Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things you forget - summary page 32

Page 28 of 61
This is great!! Unfortunately, a bit late for us as a few things on here I too did not put enough thought in to (first build) during the planning stages, and already wish I had included, but at lock up now and too late as most areas are done - mainly the shower Niches and my Kitchen bin. This is something I actually really wanted to insure so I didn't do the old, hang the plastic bags over the door trick (might deter from my new kitchen).... Anyway, I have a bin cupboard but nothing in it, tried to get it adjusted to a slide out bin that I saw on the kithcen companies website, but too late, kitchen's already been manufactured and is going in mid Jan.

Most recent "Doh" moment for me is the power locations in the island - I wish wish wish I had converted one of the top draws to be a fake draw with a pull down front. Inside a bank of powerpoints and then you don't have points on the outside of the waterfall edge (if applicable), or worry about having cords hanging around, which with little ones was a concern for me.

Saw this photo posted on the powerpoint thread and is exactly what I wish I had done.. so easy to do upfront and a great idea! So may not be too late for others to do.

Finally - wish I made my panty door integrated and put up a Poly integrated panel, I am worried having a normal door will detract from the rest of the kitchen.

Oh well.... next house perhaps!
not a fan... then you have a big draw between you and the bench sticking out, making it pretty much unuseable that section.
I think the idea is while in use, you can close the front back up so you're not having to stand infront of the door. Of course depends also on your Island and if you have the room to lose a draw so I see not for everyone, but for us, this would have been a better alternative as our whole kitchen is pretty much pot draws. As we have it now, we are getting a powerpoint put at the very front of our end cupboard in the Island. I can still close the door too, but I thought the above idea seemed neater.

Another suggestion, instead of having the draw blocked, leave it like a normal draw space with the powerpoints on the side wall. Then you can still use that space for chopping board storage still making it functional.

Hi Lilac, you can install a receptacle, good for an island situation or other areas around the kitchen. HAve look at this link, sorry I don't know how to upload a pic in here

http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/pcs34-90.html
This thread is amazing and i have only read 3 pages
im so greatful that "SmithiesWife" recommended it - when my 2 year old has gone to bed i will be back to read the rest - very excited and greatful that this exist!
happytaurus
im so greatful that "SmithiesWife" recommended it - when my 2 year old has gone to bed i will be back to read the rest - very excited and greatful that this exist!

Just read (and print if required) the "Summary" on Page 27

Cheers,

P_D
happytaurus

Always happy to help HT
I'm yet to use the list myself but will be shortly.

Quote:
Just read (and print if required) the "Summary" on Page 27

Cheers,

P_D

Great tip P_D!

Quote:
Hi Lilac, you can install a receptacle, good for an island situation or other areas around the kitchen. HAve look at this link, sorry I don't know how to upload a pic in here

http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/pcs34-90.html[/

Thanks Nini.
I have seen these before and personally I think they look awesome, but I have had discussions in the past with DH in putting one in after seeing them on another thread, but he doesn't want to put another hole in the bench for it and thinks having this sitting on the island, believes it will detract from the look of the stone
Even though it's just the top sitting there.

Our electrician recommended a point go in our end cupboard at the very front so I can still close the door too. I will use this first and see if it is extremely inconvennient. If it is, I will bring the pop-up idea up again and look at installing one later. I guess I need to see how much I will use power at the Island to warrant it first.

thanks again though.
thanks nini you just reminded me to ask about the pop up electrical when i am at our local electrical store today i am thinking of having one in the study area and had forgotten to write it on the list
I think if I needed power in the middle of an island bench I'd maybe have a fake pop up splash panel that has power behind it as opposed to stealing good draw/cupboard space
thank god for this thread
whirly birds i forgot about these and was lucky our roof is able to install at same time as roof
Thanks to everyone who added to this thread. My other half and I are about to build our first house, and after reading the entire thread my list if questions has grown from 1/2 a page to 3 pages! I'll post up a read soon and upload pics as we go
read the entire thread..well done you!

welcome.
3 pages awesome
welcome
3 pages? 28 pages....

3 pages is nothing!!

but 28......thats sad!
kiwi
3 pages? 28 pages....

3 pages is nothing!!

but 28......thats sad!

So what would call someone like me who has read it twice, second time around taken notes?

Pathetic, perhaps, lol.
Wise would be my name for such a person
Studious

ESP the note taking.

So much to know huh. This list wasn't around When we built.
If it had been, I wonder if I would have printed it out....I think I would have and then scribbled all over it adding extra things!!
Thanks, guys, I feel less like loser now
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum