Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Beechwood in the Hunter Valley

Page 9 of 9
We moved in, two weeks ago, and inside we are pretty much finished... outside is a very different story but never mind!! My husband did a fantastic Job on the floor, and everything has gone relatively well.

wow, that's pretty
how much does beechwood charge to install the light for you??
do they also charge you extra for painted different color for each bed room??
i really like it
thanks frozenkuku! about $50 each light point to install fittings (cash). They would have charged between $150 and $250 for each feature wall, dealing direct with painter, but I painted them myself to save $$$. Also, I painted 2 coats over the other walls because I didn't like the colour we'd chosen when I saw it on the walls...
what color is the kitchen feature wall love the idea of shutters in the bathroom. what happens when they get wet?
and the freestanding bath awesome
Hey build again, did you do the wall art calligraphy? Very cool...
Everything's looking great
1rocky
what color is the kitchen feature wall love the idea of shutters in the bathroom. what happens when they get wet?

might max- a taubmans colour I think? The shutters are real wood but are coated in two pack. They are fine for use in wet areas but I'd still be sensible- ie not let them become saturated with steam- I'd use the fan, or open a window or door if the room was really steamy.
Treeseachanger
Hey build again, did you do the wall art calligraphy? Very cool...
Everything's looking great

Hi treeseachanger! No way- I'm totally inept at anything arty!!! They are transfers- come on big sheets- and you adhere them, it's really easy, my nine year old helped me put them up! You can get them from heaps of places- google 'wall art decal' a million sites come up
Build again, your house looks wonderful!
I love the feature walls and lightshades and the couches all look really comfy
We have been looking for a new couch but haven't found 'the one' yet.
Congrats build again! Your home looks amazing! I love the writing wall art and all of your feature walls. Also glad your bamboo floor turned out really well.
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can provide approximate timeframes for the build of their house? Our slab was put down about 3 weeks ago and no movement on the block since. The frames were delivered a week ago, and I was advised they weren't even meant to be delivered until next week. In comparison to other homes being built, the whole thing seems rather slow. Should I be pushing them along? Am I meant to have met the Site Supervisor? I feel very "in the dark" and have been given no actual timeframes for completion - is this normal???

Oh, and if it helps, I am building a house out of the Genesis range with very minor modifications.

Thanks in advance
Little J
Hi build again, just came across your thread! your house looks fabulous, we hope to achieve a similar look with our build

Are you happy with your Taubmans White Ice? We have also chosen this colour, I just wanted a white but of course it's an upgrade so have chosen the closest colour.
natlyn
Hi build again, just came across your thread! your house looks fabulous, we hope to achieve a similar look with our build

Are you happy with your Taubmans White Ice? We have also chosen this colour, I just wanted a white but of course it's an upgrade so have chosen the closest colour.

Hi Natlyn! To be truthful, I didn't like it. We painted over the whole house with illusive white, after I saw one coat over all walls, and the second coat done in one room. It was a greening-grey white. The painter himself said 'why'd you pick this? its a really dirty looking white'.

So we bought extra paint, they did a coat of illusive white over all the walls, and then I painted another coat of the illusive white myself over all the walls. I could've paid the painters to do it, but seeing as I was doing all the feature walls myself I did it to save money. I don't mean to put you off it, but with the warm toned timber floor it just didn't work in our house.
Hi build again, thanks for the advice, we just got a sample pot of the colour so will try it out this afternoon; we have our colour selections on Tuesday so will ask how much to upgrade to another white.
We definitely don't want a greenish-grey colour!!
Hi build again, we are going to be building at Huntlee (the new town being built to the south of Branxton) towards the end of this year. We are doing our research into flooring options and loved the look of your floor. I was just wondering how your bamboo (Arc Australiana?) is performing, particularly in the kitchen and high traffic areas of the house. We have 2 young kids and will most likely have a dog down the track.
excellent annagy. the high traffic areas have no marks at all. we never wear shoes inside though. The furniture in the kids playroom has made some marks- but I can't blame that on the floor, its because the kids jump on to the lounges and the castors have fallen off. Very happy with it
Hi,

Not sure if you still reply to the blog.

but I am really curious if you have put in any expansion joint for your Bamboo floor (australiana??)
I see you have a great big open area joined by the hall way.
Did you get away without installing any ? since you DIY all the work?

Any issues so far such as gaps / warp/ cup/ shrinks?

Thanks and hopefully you still replies.

Cheers,
lovepub
Hi,

Not sure if you still reply to the blog.

but I am really curious if you have put in any expansion joint for your Bamboo floor (australiana??)
I see you have a great big open area joined by the hall way.
Did you get away without installing any ? since you DIY all the work?

Any issues so far such as gaps / warp/ cup/ shrinks?

Thanks and hopefully you still replies.

Cheers,

Hi Lovepub, no we didn't put any expansion joints in. The floor has moved a little- probably about 5-7 mm in the big room (about 7m across) but it seems to shrink and expand with the weather. Because we put the skirting down after, on top of the floorboards allowing them to shift under it, it doesn't show movement, but seeing as I know how it should look, I can tell its moved a little. No cupping or warping and only scratches have been from furniture movement (i.e. us not being careful!!) Really happy with the floor. I think an expansion gap would have been much more noticeable than the slight movement we have had without it- personally I wouldn't have liked it.
Related
14/11/2023
NCC - Roof Valley - Does this comply?

Building A New House

thanks guys! yes this is how I've exactly raised it with the builder. still awaiting response.

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum