Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

WA R Codes

Page 1 of 1
Can someone help to explain the WA setback rules for me?
I've been talking to a few builders and reading the R codes but can't find the right information.
I need a bit of understanding in the setback distances from the primary street and side boundary.

The R codes tell us that the front of the house must be on avg, 6 m from the street.

A builder told me that any part of the house can be 3m from the primary street but avg must be 6 m. Another builder told me if I'm building the garage on the zero lot line, the garage itself must be 6m from the street. I can't find anything in the R codes that correspond to what these builders are saying.

My block is on an R20 by the way.

Thanks!
Councils vary greatly and depends on what mood the person with the approved stamp is feeling on the day .

Where building ?

The 6 meters usually, and I use the term loosely, starts from your boundary and not the street , council owns the verge.
my builder also told me exactly as above. i got zero lot wall and builder told me it has to be 6 meter from my boundary (not from street).
Hi there.....

If you have a boundry wall like a garage they must be at least at the minimum set back and the average of the house has to be the set back. In your case 6m. So if your garage was say 7m back and was 50% of the front of the house that would mean the other side of the house can be moved forward to 5m and still achieve the average of 6m.

What the above have said are correct, it is measured from hte boundary not the street. For secondary roads it is les of an issue and rear set backs are also not usually an issue. Side setbacks depend on length and height and whether there are windows. That is why the building lines step in and out as they are making use of narrower set backs where there are no windows.

All of this is subject to council approval and maybe reduced but if all of the street is the same set back it will be difficult to move the garage forward. For side set backs it will not get much less than a meter because there are also overhang rules.

My interpretation (i am an accountant so dont rely on the above as gospel), but I have asked my builder to maximise width and rear yard space.

Hope you get it sorted...

Ciao
Mark
Thanks guys. I'm building in High Wycombe WA, which comes under the Shire of Kalamunda. If my garage is not on the zero lot line, i.e. it is 1m from the side boundary, how close can the garage be to the front boundary provided that I meet the 6m avg across the entire frontage?

Tried to call WA planning dept, but couldn't get through since it's quite late....
Contact Shire of Kal building department
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum