Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

QLD Solar Bonus scheme change from 10 Jul - bye bye 44c/kwh!

Page 1 of 1
Some of you may have read the news that Qld will be making changes to the Solar Bonus Scheme from 10 July onwards.

Essentially the current feed in tariff of 44c per kwh will change to be 8c per kwh for new customers after 10 July. But, if you register before then, you'll still enjoy the original tariff.
(Refer: http://www.cleanenergy.qld.gov.au/demand-side/solar-bonus-scheme.htm)

Our house is still being constructed - the solar panels have already been installed (not connected) and the builder has their electricity connected (but for their account) during the build and it won't be finished before 10 July.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to still register even though it's not finished yet, despite the electricity supply to the site being under the builders account. I'll give them a call this week to try and find out some more.

Just thought I'd let those of you currently building know about the change (and hopefully the possibility of registering for the original tariff).

Let us know what your experiences are!
Enquired with Clean Energy Council and Energex today and it would seem that we need to get our application lodged before 10 July 2012, even if solar system is not installed yet (but must be by 30 Jun 2013).

Now waiting on response from builder's management who will look into it and discuss with suppliers to see if they can get it done in time. They made no commitments of course, so here's holding thumbs.
The electricity account will need to be in your name (before July 10) in order to apply and get the 44c FIT. Your house or even the solar install being complete is irrelevant. Can't you just ask the builder to change the account to your name right away?
Yeah... that's the current situation for us - we've asked for the account to be changed to our name and for the supplier to lodge a complete network connection form to the electricity supplier once done.

Hopefully the builder can come to the party.
I am in the same boat ... I am going to ask my builder as well!!!

Keep us posted Jaans.
Got a call from the builder today - and it's
not good news.

Apparently they've had discussions with Energex and their Solar PV supplier and aren't able to effect the change of account and lodge the application in time, especially given that they have around 200 active constructions at the moment.

It's unfortunate, but not the builder's fault. On the contrary, they've tried to make a plan and I appreciate that they need to make the same accommodation for all their current constructions.

Had QLD Government been more forthcoming about the change and allowed for a longer period of time before the change takes effect, then they would be able to make it work.

Perhaps you'll have more luck with your builder!
I spoke to my builder and got the same reply ... I am obviously going to cancel the Solar Power system from my builder but I am investigating an Off-grid solution with Batteries instead ... The the Electricity costs are gonna be massive in the coming years, probably best to generate your own...
Damn - sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate.
I wonder if we have the same builder

PM me

It would seem that *currently* Origin adds 6c/KWH on top of the governments 8c/KWH and that AGL is offering 2c more with 8c/KWH on top of the government 8c/KWH.

My argument would be for solar feed in tariff to at least match the cost which is arounr 22c-25c per KWH.

It would be interesting to hear about the costs of a off-grid batteries solution though!
The tariff will only drop rather than go up ... Even people with 44c wont have it for long, best solution is to not depend on the (unreliable)Government because it will cost even more to change your system in the future ...

Major expense with Off-Grid system is the batteries, prices will drop with more people opting for it and u cud always upgrade as you go ...
Quote:
Even people with 44c wont have it for long

How long with the 44c last for if you sign up before 9th July??? Is it a twenty year thing or a couple of years ??

cheers

Stig
Stig
Quote:
Even people with 44c wont have it for long

How long with the 44c last for if you sign up before 9th July??? Is it a twenty year thing or a couple of years ??

It's legislated until 2028 - however as with most legislation it can be changed to suit the whim of the government. Anyhow 44c is much better than 8c.
Related
12/02/2024
colour scheme

General Discussion

I'm renovating - building a small extension at the back of the late Edwardian house. This is the first stage. Second stage of the renovation will be to replace roof on…

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum