Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Is this possible

Page 1 of 1
Just browsing again on the PD site
and I really prefer the Cremorne 41 over the 34, the room sizes makes a huge difference

Now the block of land we are close to bidding on has a width of 13.72, the Cremorne 41 needs a block width minimum of 14.5m. So we could miss out on building this house on a block we like over 0.78m

So I had another look at the plans and the only thing that is adding extra width which could be adjusted would be the double garage....

Currently the garage is 37.35m2, unfortunatly they don't have it is measurements of L X W, but what I'm thinking is could I chop of a few cm's to fit the Cremorne 41 onto my block or is there other things to consider with regards to structural issues (Obviously I would have to ask PD)

But would this make the garage too small to fit 2 cars (this is our only use for the garage we won't need a bench etc) We do have a 4wd and a commodore though

The garage in the Cremorne 34 is 36.62 so that is 0.73m less than the garage in the 41 but we would need to make is about 0.8m less....

I hope I am making sense - reading over it I don't think I am
but hopefully someone can help - I think what I am trying to say is what do you think the minimum length x width measurements I would need to fit 2 cars...

Cheers Belinda
I'm not sure what size you would need the garage to be Belinda, I'm not a car person and I'm not a measurements person
but you might have trouble getting a building permit if you tried to build from one side boundary to another.

My builder expected that my plans would be rejected by Council because my garage is on both the side and rear boundaries and the builder said most Councils won't allow you to build on more than 1 boundary line. In my case it was approved only because the side boundary is actually a shared driveway.

Given that you are looking at building in Newport, it might be a good idea to look around on the relevant Council website for their building regulations - such as minimum setbacks, how much land you can build on (my understanding is that most Councils also have stipulations about how much "free space" you need to leave undeveloped) and the distance from boundaries.

Also, if you build on both boundaries, in an established area, site access for your builders is going to be very difficult as you would have fences and established homes on both sides and your house would be to both side boundaries - how will the builder get access to the rear of your house? While they may be willing to work around that issue, it will possibly cost you more because they will be inconvenienced.

You mentioned in another thread that you're considering moving further out - have you looked at Altona/Seaholme - I've been told there are bigger blocks out there and that demolition houses aren't yet at the price of Newport, you might have more luck looking around there.
Thanks for that info Colleen

Silly me didn't know all that stuff about boundaries
I thought the builder took it into account when they set the min block widths. The width fo the Cremorne 41 is actually 12.52 but the min block width is 14.50 hence I thought they were taken into consideration to leave space on each sides when they set the block width requirements.

Thats why i thought if we reduced the size of the garage it would still suit the block as it would still take into account that 1.98m the builders have added to the house plan to get it to 14.50..

I hope I'm making sense again

Btw - we have looked at Seaholme/Altona, I actually quite like the area - the main reason we want to stay in Newport is for the schools/kindergartens/public transport access for highschool otherwise I would definatly build in one of the areas you mentioned
It sounds like the builders have taken it into account that they need to have a certain distance on the sides but do check with the relevant Council what their requirements are about how wide that space has to be. I didn't have to look at that stuff myself because I found the house first and then the builder gave me a list of available land that was suitable so I just went and chose the one I wanted - that's the beauty of buying new land. (And then I decided to move the garage onto the boundaries lol).

Because you are looking to build in an established area, you can't rely on the builder's sales staff to have good knowledge of your Council's requirements as they don't have the prior experience with your Council. You seem to be doing a great job of finding the information you need on the net so I'm simply suggesting, if you can wade through the technical stuff (which I couldn't
), check out what the Council says. Then, when you do go to a builder, you can tell them what your understanding of the requirements are from the beginning and they can give you a more informed response about the possibility of them building the home you want. You will also then be armed with your own knowledge about the potential problems with building in that area so you will be on slightly more even ground with the builders when you are negotiating
Good thinking Colleen - I will get onto the council ASAP

Fwiw I don't think I will be able to fit our 2 cars into the garage if we reduce its size much more but it was just a thought

We have 2 potential land sites

1) Pros: Great street, great width (15.2) so wouldn't need to minimising anything in the plan and could build the bigger Cremorne, would guess low site costs - very flat and close to power poles etc

Cons: It is only 31m long, the house is 22m, assuming we would need approx 4m set back we only would have 4-5m in length left over for a back yard...not sure if this will be enough for the kids
, also it is on the very high end of our price range

2) Pros: Huge length 42m - plenty of room for backyard and even a pool
, well within our budget

Cons: Not as great a location, potentially high site costs due to slope/location of power poles, width is only 13.72 so would need to modify plans or go for a smaller house

WHAT TO DO!!!!!
Williams Landing is going to have its own railway station and bus interchange (both due to open early 2009), schools, retail centres, office centre, restaurants, etc. There will probably be a wide variety of choice where blocks are concerned, too.

Luckily the Cremorne is a Lifestyle design, not Prestige, so PD ought to be fine about such a change. Could depend on the sales person, though! LOL

Have you tried Simonds Homes? Or a small firm that can custom-design at what could well be a lower price?

Fiona
Thanks Fiona - is there a huge difference bw lifestyle and prestige homes? I agree that there is some great land oppurtunities further out (i would be more than happy to live in Point cook etc, DH on the other hand will not budge further than Spotswood
)

Thanks again
haywgl
Good thinking Colleen - I will get onto the council ASAP

Fwiw I don't think I will be able to fit our 2 cars into the garage if we reduce its size much more but it was just a thought

We have 2 potential land sites

1) Pros: Great street, great width (15.2) so wouldn't need to minimising anything in the plan and could build the bigger Cremorne, would guess low site costs - very flat and close to power poles etc

Cons: It is only 31m long, the house is 22m, assuming we would need approx 4m set back we only would have 4-5m in length left over for a back yard...not sure if this will be enough for the kids
, also it is on the very high end of our price range

2) Pros: Huge length 42m - plenty of room for backyard and even a pool
, well within our budget

Cons: Not as great a location, potentially high site costs due to slope/location of power poles, width is only 13.72 so would need to modify plans or go for a smaller house

WHAT TO DO!!!!!

Hi

Yes, check with the council, the 14.5m width is so that the house sits 2m away from the boundary, but i believe that you can have it at 1.2m instead of 2m from the boundary. This only applies to the house, the garage can sit on the boundary line itself.

Cheers
Thanks for that info hysterical....hmm maybe I can make this happen

Will call the council on Monday to check and ask with PD when I visit the displays
It sounds possible to me, good luck!
Quote:
But would this make the garage too small to fit 2 cars (this is our only use for the garage we won't need a bench etc) We do have a 4wd and a commodore though

They may fit but how many dents in the side of your car are you willing to have?

The first thing I say when we pull up is "watch the car next door" I sound like a broken record
Good Point Paula
Related
16/11/2023
Possible to "surface over" or would I need to completely rel

Paving & Concreting

You can wash over existing pavers with 10% solution of water and hydrochloric acid, then wash off. The acid will provide for required bond key with new concrete.

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum