Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Do I need Sarking

Page 1 of 1
Hi
I am building a new Double storey home in Sydney southwest. Our roof is of concrete tiles and Builder is already providing R2.5 insulations batts to roof area plus our house has alredy passed the basix requirements, but recenlty builder has also recommended to have heavy duty sarking to the underside of the roof tiles for almost $3000

We are not sure if it is good idea to spend 3k on Sarking and will it really help in anyway. Advise anyone?
The sarking will add a reflected air space and enclose the roof space giving a much greater thermal performance. . Money well spent for the future if you can afford it now. It will never be cost effective to add it once the tiles are done.
Yes it will help and, as previous poster said, money well spent and can not be retro-fitted.
Just remember to ventilate the roof space to clear condensation and moisture from exhaust fans ducted to the roof space and general humidity during summer.
Ditto. Sarking is essential. We have sarking to our roof areas and Western wall to reflect the radiant heat.
Do it just because you can see it it will have a better effect on the overall comfort of the home then a set of $300 taps
Thanks for all the replies - I am considering it seriously now. One more thing will sarking cause problems or need to be removed or cut if during later stage I go ahead with ducted air condtioning.
Short answer is no
I'm guessing if you are fitting the Ducted Air after you have moved in you just tell the installers they need to use the man hole rather than open the roof and throw everything in. That's what I plan to tell them......

After tossing up about Sarking for the last month or so I decided to just spend the cash and get it done, let them know at my colour selection today.
Related
27/03/2024
Sarking for garage roof

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi all I’m in VIC and had some storm damage in my garage a month ago. Gutter found not fit for purpose. Insurance company saying the guttering and flashing to be fixed…

4/06/2023
Bathroom reno - do i need a bathtub

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hello It is good to have a planned bathroom reno to suit your budget and design, living for 10 years I think you need a bathtub

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum