Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Vess's Build - Landscaping and final fencing part

Page 10 of 24
Not bad at all vess

Your giving the experts a run for the money, just wish there was a prize for you!

Can't wait to see your kitchen and bathrooms,
What colours do you have in the kitchen
There is a prize.... a finished house exactly how I wanted every single bit of it.
Vess
There is a prize.... a finished house exactly how I wanted every single bit of it.

excellent prize indeed!! Way to go Vess, getting heaps done! 4th of August isn't that far away...
I missed question about kitchen colour. It's white all over.
Vess
I missed question about kitchen colour. It's white all over.

Ahh that will look lovely against your floor tiles
Vess

Best prize of all. AND knowing YOU did it. You go girl

ps: it also means you haven't got anyone to point the finger at either. Which can be a good thing, avoiding all that blame stress that can happen.
Hahahaha except when DH gets to blame me for something because I made an executive decision at the time and he doesn't like it.

Oh well. I think he should just be thankful I'm capable enough to do this for our family.
Love that quilt color, Vess, you are one of incredible woman!!

My kitchen will be all white too....

Hope you can move in by 4th August. Would be nice then...
Tiling continues - bathroom floors done today and onto the walls tomorrow.... couldn't get any pics because it was nearly dark when I got there this arvo.

Garage doors were installed. There will be pics when I get rid of this skip bin next week that is front and centre at the house.

Stairs finished and protective covers in place. Balustrade ordered..... glass and stainless steel. Looking forward to it.

Wish I could just take every day off until it was all finished but I have to actually go to work. Very distracted!
Work! Bah! What are you trying to pay for this build or something???
Just found out kitchen laundry and WIP scheduled for install from Tuesday next week.
Eeeeeek! It's all coming together.
After all the overwhelming days where things did not go to plan and issues arose causing delays or confusion, it is exciting yet nerve racking to be putting the finishing touches in.
After my 2 days of painting my legs feel like I've done an aerobic lunge class of 1000 lunges. Holy cow! It hurts......
Can't wait to see kitchen laundry in,how exciting, you deserve things to start falling into place, after the delays you have had, your doing an amazing job building your house
greenfish
Work! Bah! What are you trying to pay for this build or something???

Lol yeah I know. I have to keep things in perspective some days. I have 2wks off from 23rd. I should just be happy that I can go to site 2-3 times a day see what's happening, solve some issues, answer questions, thank the tradies and give instruction.
Vess, please allow me to add to the congratulations on what you've achieved. May I ask how you've managed deliveries and allowing trades access to the site while working full time and taking care of your family? I'm kind of interested in owner building but the access for trades and deliveries are a couple of the many things I've been wondering about.
Thanks Shaje... It is very hectic but not unachieveable for anyone really.

You need to be careful in selecting your trades and suppliers. Set the expectation. Clarify ALL details. If a quote does not have enough details, ask them to provide a list of what is covered in the quote. If they can't be specific, don't hire them. It can be a sn3aky trick to add extra 'unforseen' charges because they were not listed.

Trades gain access by lifting the fence if they don't have a key so no issue there until lock up and then you give them a key to a single door. At the end, you change the lock on that single door.

You don't really need to be there for deliveries. Just be very specific about where you want the goods delivered. For example, delivery of frames onto slab, delivery of trusses to backyard, deliver doors into garage area etc. Ask them to leave delivery paperwork with goods and you check it off that afternoon.

I also work fairly close to site so if required I will go to site in my lunch hour to meet someone to do a quote or receive a delicate delivery. Communication is done by email or text message. I do get phone calls but it's no issue for me to be taking a few calls during the day. Their tradies so they don't want to talk to you for more than a few minutes anyway.

I go past on my way to work, checkin with trades on site and advise what needs to be done if they are unsure then I go to work. Unless you are on the tools, you don't need to be there for longer than 20mins.

I really don't know how I have managed to do it. Take each day as it comes, deal with whatever issues pop up and don't stress the simple stuff. Whatever happens, there is always a fix.

Owner building is an interesting journey and I have really enjoyed it but i am ready for it to be over now
Still in awe Vess! You make it sound easy except we all know it really isn't.
Sounds like things are moving along swiftly and you'll be in in no time. Then what will you do with all your spare time (apart from clean)?!!
I've already found my next project..... building us a pool!
I'm on the verge of everything being too overwhelming for me. Thank goodness I have 2wks off after this week. I really need it!
It won't be a 'break' as such just half as hectic. I'll be painting all of upstairs next week. Carpet booked for 1 August so I have a crazy deadline to get doors, skirts and architraves on and painted before carpet goes in.
Great progress, Vess!!
I wish you were in Melborne, Vess. I want to bow before you in person!
Thanks Vess. You're obviously very organised, have good communication skills and loads of energy. I can only imagine how excited you are getting the closer you come to the end. I think you're right when you say the prize at the end will be a house you love. Good luck with all your painting!
Related
3/10/2023
Final payment for new build in NSW

Building A New House

regardless, your contract stipulates a payments schedule and SOPA doesn't give provision to that scenario. Your contractual terms appear to stand. Hence get a lawyer, it…

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum