Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

SUMMIT HOMES BUILD (Handover)

Page 14 of 15
Oh no Dons thats horrible!
We get two, one to pick the mistakes and one to check we're happy with the repairs. Most builders did it I thought
Hi AGF, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's heartbreaking. Months of planning, months of watching it all happen only to end up like this. I really hope it all works out for you, im sure it will, but it still sucks that this little curve ball has been thrown your way.

It's your beautiful home and you want it to be perfect in every single way. I really hope you can sort it all out with your SS and be happy with your new home
OMG.... I just can't believe it.

I would be on the phone to the highest person at Summit you can get to and make sure that those in the company that are actually concerned with brand and reputation know about it, obviously your SS doesn't care about it.

You should get a second walk through. This first one should be to pick up the outstanding, then on handover before you make your final payment, you tick all outstanding off the list and insure they are all done.

I am so sorry you went through that, what a way to end a build... last impressions count as much as first and you don't want this to be one of the main parts of your build that you remember.

We just had handover Friday. we had an initial walk through with SS, his manager and one of the owners ( 2 brothers) about a week ago. Then Friday we checked the list, wrote a knew list as during the fixing of the first list some new ones were created (as you said, they can damage things fixing your door handles), and with ours they did. Infact, the cleaners have scratched one of the glass panels in our foyer doors that was never there before, SS saw it with me and was very unhappy, but we forgot to write it down so I am hoping they honour fixing it although it wasn't written on the list. I have to email so they don't think it was us. I texted SS but I think I'll email his boss and our construction consultant too.

Anyway, this is your home, you have paid for it and you have to live in it - so you make sure you make noise until it's fixed. Your SS has no right to decide what gets fixed and what doesn't.... Oooh that attitude makes me so angry and I just don't know what I would do if ours did that.

Good Luck but I would be on the phone Monday to the Directors and make sure they listen.... Don't back down!

As for the previous inspectors. I'd be getting requesting your money back too.
AubinGroveFan
dons80
Sounds like our builder same attitude same problems make sure you have another person present when talking to anyone from the builder I made that mistake and unfortunately my wife was harased and reduced to tears at our 2nd PCI inspection.

Can you do second PCI inspection? I thought we only had one shot, that's why I'm p!ssed off beyond belief...

there was that many issues they had to come back twice the SS tried to tell us we were making up the problems with our home! the trades that fixed them didn't seem to think so thy couldn't believe the builder tried to get away with it
We had our PCI last Friday, we are building with New Generation a subsidary of Summit.

Whilst we had a few issues with some items, I think 9 in total i was quite impressed with our SS, he was polite and thorough, the standard was better than I had expected as well to be honest. I think husband was quietly impressed as well to be honest.

We were told they get 10 days to fix the items and thats it, no 2nd PCI just pay the money and get the keys.

All in all so far so good as long as the rectification work is done.
Hi AubinGroveFan...

have been reading through the problem you have been having and its terrible the way they are treating you.. At the end of the day if you are not happy I wouldnt be handing over that final payment.. can you go to the building commission about it ??
chripark69
We had our PCI last Friday, we are building with New Generation a subsidary of Summit.

Whilst we had a few issues with some items, I think 9 in total i was quite impressed with our SS, he was polite and thorough, the standard was better than I had expected as well to be honest. I think husband was quietly impressed as well to be honest.

We were told they get 10 days to fix the items and thats it, no 2nd PCI just pay the money and get the keys.

All in all so far so good as long as the rectification work is done.

We were exactly the same, had a very minor list of things to complete, our SS was really great throughout the build and we had no problem using our own inspector, in fact he welcomed the idea.
The quality was excellent, we have had a couple of things since keys but the SS has been on to them straight away.
Just took a call our mortgage company will not release the last payment as they have said the valuer has only given it 99% complete. So need to wait the 10 days period before it can be valued again and monies paid!
I would be asking where in the contract it says if you use an independant inspector they won't fix what has been found? Isn't there a 6 month maintance period as well where they may have to fix stuff?

The way you have been treated is just terrible! How are you or any of us who aren't builders to know the ins and outs of this process and what is acceptable or not. We need independant assistance so we aren't mislead and it seems if we to get the assistance well be penalized!

Is the a possibility any of the issues are big enough that the bank would prevent the final payment being made?

It is such a terrible way to finish up the process!
Hi AGF.

Again, sorry this is happening to you.

My personal thoughts are you have done the right thing and you shouldn't regret any of it.

I think any site supervisor should be able to stand up and take a critique and inspection from anyone, and if they can't, they're either a) rubbish at their job and/or b) got something to hide.

Seems to me like he's been caught out and is now acting like a child. The things you and you're independent inspector have noted are obviously genuine and worthwhile so what's the problem? You have paid ALOT of money for let's face it, 4 walls a roof and some appliances. They should be 100% accountable for their workmanship and the fact in your instance they're not prepared to stand by it really stinks.

I would pay your account and then file a dispute with the building commission for the issues to be resolved. Hopefully the inspector you used is worth his weight and will back up his findings if need be.

Don't feel like you did the wrong thing, you were looking after your interests not theirs. Don't forget these are multi million dollar businesses. I hope it works out for you guys and look forward to following this.
I just don't get it, we built with same company as you know and had a SS report and a independent report, both turned up with same fixes, no one ever said we could only do one or the other, we just said we are arranging independent inspection.
I would be complaining to the contracts manager, ask them where it states they will not fix anything on report.
I have his name and no if you need it.
A good inspector will scrutinise the house , when you consider the SS only makes flying visits each week they rely on their trades to provide the quality, also the prices generally paid by the project builders are less so you get what you pay for. The developers do not like it when you pay someone to methodically check the structure as a lot of times due to lack of supervision the houses are not the best and faults are found.

The developers prey on the first time house builders and will try to catch you out at every single opportunity in order to make more money, wrong but true.

I have been in house building all my life but declined to tell them at first however after I'd caught them out a few times I've now been branded a pain in the arse customer all because I questioned their charges.

I was lucky my SS had produced a house to a very high standard it's just a shame the sales and construction managers have no customer service skills!
He threatened to knock you out?!? What the hell
I'd be contacting the brand manager. Doesn't make them look very good
I'm sure y builders think I'm a PITA cause I'm always complaining bout how long paperwork process is taking. One of my contact people other than me CA is the brand manager. He has been great though and they haven't made be feel like I'm a pain
Hi AGF hope all is well, have sent you a pm to check in.
also hoping all is well and wondering how things have progressed
Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum