Apr 10, 2012 10:47 pm
Just got a quick question, lm building with M last week my structure went up, and my ss just contacted me today stating that my bricks will be delayed for 3 to 4 weeks. He told me to pick other brick but me and my partner both really want these ones. We pick picked these about 5 months ago and im wondering y are they ordering them so late and now they trying to get me to change.
Just wondering what do yous think, im about to send a email to M of disappoiment and c what happens
M has been nothing but problem from the start
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con3
Apr 10, 2012 11:04 pm
I can tell you I would not be happy in that situation........
Choosing a brick has been hard enough, if it is discontinued by the supplier then fare enough but just because they can't get them for 3-4 weeks is a poor reason.
Lets say at best it takes you a week to make a new selection what happens if there is a delay on those also?
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con5
Apr 10, 2012 11:14 pm
Maybe we are silly for thinking at the time you sign the Construction contact that they begin to order or advise suppliers what they need...
Maybe we just do that at my work, know we need something in a month or so and flag that with the supplier so they have stock when we need it
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con6
Apr 10, 2012 11:16 pm
maybe call the brick yard yourself in the morning and inquire on the lead time for the brick you need
If that was to happen with me I would expect a call from my builder telling me there would be a delay due to the brick supply and maybe asking me to extend the contact time so they don't have to pay me late fee's on the build if it goes over by that timeframe
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con7
Apr 10, 2012 11:24 pm
well to be honest i dont mind waiting extra week or 2 but dont want to extend the time frame as its there fault they had since last dec. if they exceed time frame i want rent money. Do you think i have the right to say that?
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con8
Apr 10, 2012 11:35 pm
Maybe tell them, in a nice way first, that as the bricks are still available for purchase from the supplier that you want them to supply what was agreed upon. If they talk about extending the construction period if there is a delay point out to them it is there issue and you don't want that extended.
If they push back at that maybe agree to add half the time you wait or something
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con9
Apr 10, 2012 11:38 pm
i will try nicely first and then all out lol, wat i noticed is no one listen when you are nice. only yelling has worked for me in the past. thanks for your help dvestate, ill keep you posted and let you know what they tell me tommo
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con11
Apr 10, 2012 11:56 pm
Odd, our contract had a clause that if any material was delayed and we did not want to change our choice we could either a. Use our backup choices we had made or b. Wait and the days in contract would cease until our selection was available. If you want these bricks and want to wait, stand your ground. Otherwise find a higher category brick you like and make them pay the difference
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con12
Apr 11, 2012 12:01 am
Its an unfortunate position to be in.. This issue is quite common with bricks. I would not be happy as it seems to be due to their disorganisation.
Playing the devils advocate here...
Before you go back to your builder read your building contract. They usually have a clause covering themselves for materials that are not available and its never in the clients favour...
They could play hard ball and force you to choose another brick or it will cost you for the delay in the build - it sucks but its probably what you signed for..
See if you can have a discussion with the builder and hopfully common sense will prevail
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con13
Apr 11, 2012 2:06 am
It's probably not a case of Big M screwing up - they order bricks as needed, not store them for months on end and the bricks are delivered to the site by the supplier when the build has reached the stage at which bricking can commence (ie. now).
It's not uncommon for a brick supplier to run out of the raw materials needed for a specific brick style even after orders have been placed for them, after all the raw materials are dug out of the ground in specific quarries so if a quarry has some dramas or the supplies of a specific raw material run out then that's it, nothing the builder can do about it as it is beyond their control.
It could just be a simple supply issue as well (especially if it is a popular brick) - again not much the builder can do if the supplier is lagging when it comes to filling orders.
The advice about choosing a higher category brick and making them pay the difference is highly optimistic - I wouldn't count on that panning out if it were me.
The idea that you can force them to delay the build until the bricks arrive and not expect those days to be added to your contract length is also highly optimistic - builders are not liable for delays due to issues with suppliers and they have fulfilled their obligations by giving you the option of choosing another brick in lieu of the one previously selected, you just don't want to do it.
Your options are as you have mentioned - either A) choose a different brick and have the build resume sooner or B) delay the build whilst waiting for the supplier to come up with the bricks you have selected (the delay will not be at the builder's expense).
It's up to you to decide what's more important in the end - the bricks or the delay (which could stretch for weeks or even months) while you wait for you selected bricks to become available from the supplier again - note however that sometimes a brick style dies an anonymous death when supply issues are encountered (just ask people who had their hearts set on a very nice looking brick by the name of Austral Hawthorn not so long ago).
Some people apparently have nothing better to do than comment on other people's sigs.
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con14
Apr 11, 2012 8:52 am
The problem sounds like the builder has not given the option of waiting for the brick, from the OP it seems like they have just given the pick a new brick option and if that is the case it is pretty poor customer service
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con15
Apr 11, 2012 11:42 am
I know for a fact that Big M have been willing to delay a build while they are waiting for bricks.
There were three big M houses going up at the same time in my pocket of the development we are building in - two of those houses had the same bricks (one of them was ours) and the other had different bricks. Unfortunately the third house with different bricks had the exact same type of supplier issue which meant their bricks were delayed, so their build was delayed as well (fell a month behind ours).
The OP should just advice their CSC that they are happy to wait for the bricks to be delivered and that they understand that it will mean an extended contract time IFF they are not willing to select a different brick to make the build move along.
Just don't expect any form of compensation for it - supplier issues happen more than you might think in construction and you just have to grin and bear it when they happen.
Some people apparently have nothing better to do than comment on other people's sigs.
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con16
Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm
Ask them to confirm what *is* available. Specify your backup and a few very similar, plus get them to provide two or three other options, even if from another manufacturer.
It may mean you see something you hadn't considered previously.
Don't worry, problems with Metricoin aren't unusual - I can't even get them to send me a copy of my updated floor plan with the altered window positions and electrical plan.
Building a Delta 21 at Craigieburn - http://homeofzero.blogspot.com.au/
Deposit: 26/02. Contract: 22/05. Settlement: 29/05. Site start: 18/10.
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con17
Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm
Stay firm - I had some bs from Big M where they tried to force us to accept an inferior bath due to a mistake on their part during house design. I held my ground over about 2 weeks and in the end we won.
Just like your situation, they told me there are no other options. Don't believe it - there are always other options. We had the same issue later with the trim around our shower - due to a drafting error they left it out and then told me there's only one possible solution. I told them that wasn't good enough and suddenly there were 3 solutions I could choose from.
Again with our kitchen window we were told there were no options.. I pointed out the display home had an option we were told was impossible and suddenly there were other options.
Overall I would still build with M again - you couldn't get a house like this for that price with a smaller builder. And I've seen far worse - the houses either side of me started before us but have not finished yet, and we have been in ours for 18 months. At least M will finish what they started!
Metricon Riva 33 - http://herlihy-riva.blogspot.com
Site start 15/03/2010 - Handover 23/12/2010
9 months and 8 days (284 calendar days) from site start to handover
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con18
Apr 11, 2012 9:10 pm
I emailed them today pretty much stating im will to wait for the bricks as those were the ones we really wanted, and dont want to settle something different. They pretty much emailed me stating that a delay cant happen they are a volume builder and they need the house to be finished asap. I then contacted my ss and told him he said he will do other things but is worried if bricks are further delayed.
I find head office very rude, if anyone should be angry it should be me, they dont care what the customer wants they just want to finish the house off asap. I didnt reply to the email im hoping that they do arrive may. If not i will be in war with them.
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con19
Apr 11, 2012 9:12 pm
if i knew i should have this much issues with M, i would have picked someone eles, i hope at least end result is good.
cmhamilton- so they can delay the build i will prob have to contact a manager
Re: YET again issue with Metr!con20
Apr 11, 2012 9:15 pm
I would still contact the brick supplier direct, tell them you are building with M and they have told you there is a 3-4 week delay on your brick and you would like to find out from them if that is correct and if there is a chance it could blow out further.
I don't see the issue if you are willing to wait, I would think a Volume Builder could handle the delay it would be the little guy that has more issues with something like the bricks being delayed
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
27 more posts
pmannariBackyard Drainage Issue Help!Backyard Drainage Issue Help!
We are planning to go for a gravel garden so have already gotten rid of the lawn. However when we removed the tarp the soil was wet throughout and we have water pooling on…