Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Ding's "Sorrento.2"

Page 11 of 13
Hi Ding, the first section opens fairly easily but then gets heavier when you collect the second door to pull it back - a little old lady with a bit of muscle should be fine ...
We have ours opne most of the time and would open the screens too apart from the flies

How are things going - glad you are holding out to get things fixed otherwise it drags on forever ......
What's been happening/about to ... at that beautiful house Ding/Wifey? Update please
Since last post we had handover put off until they met us on site to go through all our concerns. They are now going to address them all and we have set handover for 24th jan.
By then we hope to have some concreting done and the other side fence put up.
We have been busy, apart from Christmas, with buying some new furniture for girls rooms, ordering a new fridge, and getting current house ready to sell.
You must be looking forward to Thursday. How did the furniture shopping expedition go? Did you reap the rewards of post-Christmas sale time?
Hi Ding, just been reading over your thread your house is looking great, shame about all the issues though. Hope handover goes well, look forward to seeing more photos.
Well it's finally happened - we have had Handover - YAY!!
After much drama, abuse, name-calling and so on, the things we weren't happy about have finally been sorted.

The builder has had the tiler redo the bathroom floor.
The Silicone has been done, and a good thing that I have been there to get him to do it properly, although he still missed the strip drain in the shower & the Portico tiling needs the grout removed & silicone put down.
Joiner has fixed up bits.
Painter has fixed up bits.
House finally got a proper clean.
Front windows glass replaced.
Sliding door had levelling compound put underneath, so it is now properly supported, and appears to slide more smoothly.

There are still some items on the list that couldn't/didn't get done, but they are slated down to be completed in the next week.

In the end it wasn't any different to any other house/project; the builder thought good enough will do, let's get it off the books before Christmas. Trouble was they couldn't threat us with delaying handover because we are not renting or in a position where we have to move in ASAP. I do feel for people who get bullied into accepting something they're not happy with & then end up fighting a long battle to get what they want, if they get there at all, or give up trying.

All-in-all, it's done and we are happy? with how it has turned out.
Now time to get the floors done (starts tomorrow), driveway done, fences put up and all those flat packs from IKEA screwed together.
Curtains selection will happen once the floor is down & we can stand back and look at samples in the house. Been really pleased with the help from Jo at Interior Motif at Wynn Vale, for curtains, sheers, blinds, upholstered bedheads and general Interior Dec ideas - come on & grow you money tree!!

On another note - got our first Electrickery Bill - $540 credit thanks to Solar & no Air-con use yet!!
Will never happen again, insert sadface smiley, although the solar has been doing well on these nice clear sky summer days, hopefully when we are in it will almost fully subsidise what we use - time will tell.

Will upload some photo's when the floors are completed, but for now some random stuff.

My Choc-Cherry Ice Cream cake for Xmas

What would look really good in the corner of the kitchen bench - hint to Wifey

Water feature at Urbanstone, we may do something similar

Expose Agg concrete with pebbles

Background colour we will use

Island bench with MWave

Sexy tap and pop-up Power point

Bedhead pic.
... Drama abuse and name calling ... Tee hee! Great post with interesting perspective/advice Ding.
The drama, abuse, name-calling and so on was from their side. Bit of an eye-opener to the level of customer relations that someone will plumb to when they can't get their way, maybe they're too used to dealing with Subbies and shouldn't be in any customer contact position.

On another nicer note, the Bamboo floor has started going down. We are really pleased with how it is looking. Even though it is the one colour, "Coffee", there is plenty of variation throughout the different boxes so the installer is mixing them up to give a nice effect.

Please excuse the dirty footprints, was anxious to get some photo's to share.

Against Caesarstone Sh!take island bench

looking good
Floors look lovely! Hope its all smooth sailing from here.
I thought you were joking! THe floors are beautiful
Floors & carpet now all finished.
Skirting boards have been re-nailed, now to get down on knees for a day & putty & repaint them.
Driveway and fencing to go in this week - finally.
Now finishing off all those little jobs.

Hopefully we can get to doing some landscaping soon - just waiting on the Money tree to re-grow, it's had a hard time lately.

Spent the best part of a day hanging the light in the Entrance way. I guess you could call it a "Statement Piece": took forever to hang all the dangly bits, there's 5 different strings arranged in a "random" pattern

Lit up at night

Gorgeous - yes that would have been tricky!
Your place is looking AMAZING Ding, it has all come together very nicely and the colours you have chosen are very complimentary. I can't believe it came down to such a battle to get all the little things done before handover but good on you for sticking to your guns, I think u are right - they would be used to people just accepting it 'half done' so they can move in quickly!

Can't wait for more photos!!
Hi DingoD64, may I say your house is just beautiful and I've told my builder I want my kitchen to look just like yours with the bulkhead and nib walls! Love that it looks all inbuilt.
I'm also curious with your bamboo flooring (which looks amazing) have you got control joints in the large area of the house. I've been told anything over 6m needs them???
Island bench is great, floors look lovely, that light is amazing.
AmyMumma23
Hi DingoD64, may I say your house is just beautiful and I've told my builder I want my kitchen to look just like yours with the bulkhead and nib walls! Love that it looks all inbuilt.
I'm also curious with your bamboo flooring (which looks amazing) have you got control joints in the large area of the house. I've been told anything over 6m needs them???

Thanks. We are really happy with the way our choices have come together.
There is one control joint in the walkway between the meals area and the passage. We have noticed that we now need another one between the meals area and the Walk-in-pantry on the other side. The installer said we may need one there, but we can wait & see how it goes and put one in later if needed. He will come back next week and do that. Will put up some photos soon showing it - it's made out of the same colour bamboo so it blends in well.
Awesome, can't wait for more pics! I'm interested to see what the joints look like, I'm glad they match to colour
AmyMumma23
Awesome, can't wait for more pics! I'm interested to see what the joints look like, I'm glad they match to colour

Pic of our expansion strip, sits about 4mm higher than floor, but is rounded off nicely
Well it's been a long time coming, but we have finally moved in, been in 5 weeks now. Sorry for the delay in pics & info.

Have been very busy putting together flat pack furniture (gotta love Ikea!), buying new furniture, selling some of our old furniture (gotta love Gumtree), hanging shelves, lights, getting the skirts re-layed since the floor went down, puttying-sanding-painting skirts (actually got a painter in for a day to do them, and do the feature colours on the girls bedroom walls).
Driveway and path around the front finally went down & got sealed - that took 3 weeks to happen.
Sealed the garage & storeroom floor - that has helped with keeping the dust down in the house, although living in a construction zone seems to leave a layer of dust everywhere about 1/2 an hour after cleaning!
Still getting some landscape quotes, although that won't happen until the poor money tree recovers from its dried-up withered state! But we have paid a deposit on some reconstituted sand stone pavers (750x500x50) that we will get layed soon. I'm sure as soon as we start getting rain the will get done very quickly!

Pics of the kitchen. I love our new appliances. Induction hob is fantastic. I was a bit concerned that it would be too fragile after being able to bang stuff around on a gas hob, but the control & speed is great - far quicker than I thought it would be. And it's a great excuse to buy new pots & pans to suit (got an excellent Jamie Oliver set). Ovens are great - the Steam oven gets used heaps, and the multi-function one is brilliant - well worth the effort to import them. And the fridge is great to, I'm still waiting for the novelty of water & ice on the door to wear off for the girls.
We both love our soft-close pot drawers, got so many cupboards now some still working out what to put in some!
Still waiting for the dining table to arrive (on a slow boat from China I think!) will then buy some chairs to suit, and get a big pendant light to hang over it.

Still waiting on the dishwasher front panel.

Hob & exhaust fan

D1's bedroom. We let the girls pick out their wall colours & how they want the furniture arranged. Planned it out first on a 3D program I've been using for a while.

D2's bedroom

Heater & TV niche in family room - still yet to mount TV

Front of house.

Close up of expose aggregate concrete.

Now getting our list of maintenance together as the 3-month is coming up. Not to many things on the list, still waiting for some things to be done that were identified at handover time. Typical builder - want to forget you once they have the final payment - that's why we were so pedantic before handover
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum