Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Santorini MK 2 by Masterton Homes

Page 5 of 7
Now that we have our tiles and timber flooring done, I just don't understand why we get charged $450 by Masterton to get the skirting tagged, then removed by the tiler/timber floor installer, then come back and put them on again?

For carpets, this is not an issue, as the carpet is fixed against the skirting boards, so skirting boards can be attached and painted before carpet installation.

For tiles and timber, the skirting is fixed above the tile/timber floor.

So, why tag them first, only to be removed and installed later again, and charge the client $450?

Why not just measure and cut the skirting boards after flooring is done?!

Too easy I guess.
jo&waz
Hi!

We had Beeman doing the power pole installation also, and associated trenching to fuse-box. But that doesn't include the connection to the grid, which is an extra $800 or so, depending upon phase-type. Beeman also do the trench for Telstra and install the LUKA.

Yep, re the phone line, definitely terminates in LUKA, same goes for Optus. And then it runs via CAT5a/CAT6 to home-hub. You may well find that they put in a central splitter in the LUKA, which, if Sentinel aren't on their toes, doesn't get wired through properly. I ended up getting a punchdown tool and fixing it myself.

Thanks jo&waz, yes, I'm aware of the cost to grid connection, but not the amount, and we have 3 phase as well.

I did see a condute sticking out one near the pole (near the Telstra kerb outlet) and the other end near the fuse box, but no cable run in it. I just have to wait for that to happen before getting Telstra involved.

BTW, your landscaping is looking very nice.

I think we are getting shutters as well all throughout the house.

PCI Next week

Trying to organise a private inspection possibly next Mon or Tues or latest Thur.

Clean up started
Looks like most of the major work is now complete, ready for Practical Completion Inspection (PCI) on Monday at 7:30am.

Drove by today at lunch and the rubbish bins were delivered. Quite possible the site will be clean by tomorrow. No one inside, so I could not access inside, see where things are up to and take photos. Monday...

Over the weekend, I'll have to sit down and go through our tender and plans and match them with PCI check list, ready for Monday morning.

Looks like there will be no power, as connection to grid will not happen till Monday. Claiming rain, but as you can see, it was not raining today. If others can come in and clean the site, surely the connection could have been done as well. They already have the money paid, no need to rush out and do the actual job on time. Not happy!

Also, next Wednesday, private inspection (TBC). I have booked DK Building Certifiers (www.dkbuildingcertifiers.com.au) to inspect and report any issues. I do not anticipate any major ones, but for $330, it is a peace of mind.

I visited the site today at lunch time.

The Telstra phone junction box was installed.

Also was evident, the security system.

I rang Telstra and after 30 min on the phone, we had our phone line connected, tested (line level testing) and done. We even get to keep our old number. This was the easiest service connection ever!

The fence has been taken away. Apart from the dunny in the middle, the house is now standing by itself.

The electricity to the grid is finally connected.

The TV/Foxtel/data points installed. Upstairs family room wall point needs a cover for extra hole.

Ducted vacuum outlet, lid already broken. Surely one would carry a spare one in the van, in case one is broken!?

And finally, the Hills Hub Box. Can see phone coming in and TV splitter, but not sure about the Foxtel and LAN data termination. I'll keep you posted on this.

The security system and keypad also installed with all of the door and PIR sensors. What? you expected photos of them too? Sorry, no can do. But it is a back to base dial-up system.

Still no stairway carpets, gas meter or signs of excavation for the rainwater detention tank.

Will M make it on time?

Tune in next M time on the same M channel...
We had the rainwater detention tank work start today. The location is now dug. Tomorrow we will have the tank installed.

A mountain of dirt. Will be used to fill the low soil level at the front of the house.

The painters were also there today doing the paint touch-ups and the fixing of the skirting.

We have keys!

Today, I arranged for the bank to draw me the final cheque. Drove there, picked it up, and then drove strait to Warwick Farm, Masterton Head Office.

Giving a bank cheque for a set of keys.

We finally can call it our home. I no longer need to sneak in over the fence or while workers are there.

It is a very exciting feeling.

Then I was stuck in 2.5 hours of 5pm traffic on the way back (normally 1.5 hour trip).

Landscaping to start on Monday.
Driveway is scheduled for Tuesday start.

WooHoo!

I wish to thank all current and specially past members of this thread for all the support, ideas, tips and help throughout our build.

As I have always said, I'll still be around to support all who need ideas and help.

Big congrats on the keys. Love your thread and videos. Fantastic house!
Amancharmar
Big congrats on the keys. Love your thread and videos. Fantastic house!

Thanks
Extra Paint Work

We had the painter come in and do some feature wall painting for our bedroom and formal Lounge walls.

Bedroom

Formal Lounge

Here are some photos from today's landscaping work. A lot has been done in one day and the grass is already laid at the back of the house (too dark to take photos by end of today).

Studs for the retaining wall

Lawn ready to be laid.

More photos tomorrow, as the work continues...
Landscaping Day 2

By mid morning, most of the backyard is already laid with lawn. The front yard levelled, even ready for the driveway people!

It is all looking good. Glen, our landscaping guy, is doing over and above the job, with detail. Very happy. They only need to come back for half a day, once the driveway is done.

The retaining wall

I'm so envious you have your landscaping... It looks so good. I want to see more lol We didn't organise quotes until we got keys... We have to wait until the end of June for our landscaper to start work.

So happy for you, your house is lovely! Waiting for some more internal shots...
1sttimebuilding2012
I'm so envious you have your landscaping... It looks so good. I want to see more lol We didn't organise quotes until we got keys... We have to wait until the end of June for our landscaper to start work.

So happy for you, your house is lovely! Waiting for some more internal shots...

Oh noo! Sorry to hear that. We had our landscaper come in quote us last month, with a tentative date, and started on the date. So, do you have OC or temp OC at least?

We have not moved in yet, as we have no OC, waiting for driveway to finish, so nothing inside other than walls
We have a full occupation certificate...just no turf, clothesline, retaining and of course vegetation other than the weeds! Lol
Final touches

We had the plumber come in on Saturday to install the forgotten spa motor. So now that's done, the only items left are the cooktop and the rangehood cover.

SMEG gas cooktop (nearly)

SMEG ducted rangehood (nearly)

SMEG Electric Oven

SMEG Dishwasher

Well we have ducted vacuum unit installed, but looks like they missed to place a power point for the unit!

No power point to run it!

I was aware so I kept reminding the Site Supervisor about the power point for our spa, but not knowing what this unit looked like and how it would be powered, I missed it too.

I now expect the Site Supervisor to come back and install a power point for it. I already paid over $1200 for it and do not expect to pay a penny more.

And finally, here is our new front yard statue, to conceal the rainwater tank service hole.
Today we had some of our new furniture arrive, as well as the new fridge.

Family/TV room

Fridge made to measure!

The finished gas cooktop.
Air-con Outdoor unit

With all the rain we had this week, I had not had the chance to put a photo of the air-con outside unit.

TemperZone 18Kw 12 outlet, 4 Zone unit.

It takes no more than 5 minutes to feel the heat all around the house. 10 minutes, and we can turn the fan from high to low. Even with having tiled floors, we can walk bare foot no problem.

I'll find out in 6 months if the cooling would be the same or not. Keep an eye on that post. Also, time will tell how long the unit will last before problems, if any, arise. Being Australian made, parts and service would be quite reasonable.

Council crossing done
The council crossing driveway section is now complete.

Yes, they even set up the mailbox.

Brick, to stop sinking. a metal bar to stop from lifting off! How good is that! I did not even ask for it.

The finished job.
Related
31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum