Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Advice from the forum regulars

Page 1 of 1
Good morning and warm greetings to all.

My name is Ratter (no, not my real name) and I have been, over the past month been an avid reader of many posts on this informative network.

I am soon to be building my very first home in the west of Melbourne with PD homes. Thus far I have found the process a mix of exciting (at one end of the scale) and utterly frustrating (at the other end). Finance approved, colour selection, tender, contract and land settlement all done. We are now waiting for the final plans to arrive for our review and approval and we are, at this stage, expected to go to construction in April.

I have done lots of research to the point where I have a copy of the "guide to building standards and tolerances" and have spoken with the much adored Kev from NHI.

Firstly, I am here to introduce myself and say that i am looking forward to chatting with some of you over the coming months of stress.

But pleasantries aside I would really appreciate any advice on what other steps I can take to help protect this, my largest investment to date. Also, if anyone out there has built with PD in the west... how did you find them with regards to quality, fixing problems etc... i am aware of the one that went to VCAT in 2006. Who was your super, CSR etc.......

Please PM me if it is inappropriate to post names publicly. I have so many questions but i will leave it at that for now.

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Kind regards,

Ratter
1. Get independant inspections!!! You have spoken to Kev, great, make sure you use him!

2. Dont be nice! Be a pain in their butt and INSIST on everything you arent happy with being fixed.

3. Dont accept handover until EVERYTHING is ready. It may only seem like a few little things they say they'll get to fixing.....but it will drag on, and be a pain in the ar$e!!

Cheers!

V

PS - Welcome! Which house are you building?
Hi Vanderlay,

Thanks for your welcome. I am building the Dromana.

Regards,

Ratter.
Who is this Kev guy I keep reading about?
From what I've read, Kevin is a well-respected independent inspector in Melbourne.

In Adelaide, Jack M (Northern suburbs) and Dennis A (Southern suburbs) have been recommended to me. Anyone else heard of these guys in Adelaide?

Chris
Welcome Ratter

Check the builders insurance etc, and make sure they have adequate indemnity insurance and home warranty insurance on the total amount.
Thanks for the heads up Dee!

I checked the insurance before signing the contract and have just double checked it for peace of mind.

Regards,

Ratter
Hi ratter welcome to the forum
.we are also building with PD but south east side of melbourne .. anyway good luck and hope everything goes well for you
Related
17/08/2023
Post submitted in wrong forum

Interior Decorating Lounge

Then delete the original. Dual posting is not allowed.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

14/12/2023
How many builders are on this forum?

General Discussion

They already have two well known ones (HIA & MBA) that many new home buyers mistakenly think are regulatory bodies that Joe Public can complain to.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum