Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Neighbours dumping rubbish

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We are nearing completion of our house. House is in new estate and a few neighbours have moved in before us.

Over the last 2 months we have noticed large amount of household items being dumped on our site. Most times in builders waste bin which is inside our fence area. However a TV was dumped out front on one occasion.

Our builder has not said anything and just moves it. Just hope we don't get charged for extra waste removal.

However we were upset that possibly our neighbours were doing this.

Tonight we found more boxes dumped in the waste bin. We have now found out details of who done it, our neighbours on main road and down approx 6 houses from us have been found out. Boxes they dumped on our site had stickers with their builders details and also their address on it.

My husband is not impressed and wanted to throw it back onto their site. He however has calmed down since and thought better of this.

Husband does however want to knock on their door and politely tell them not to do it any more.

What do you think we should do? Speak with neighbours or let it slide knowing we have to live close by for some time.

If it was small amount of items we would not be concerned. But it has been BBQ's, TV, dryer, washing machine, boxes after boxes and vacuum cleaners.
I would let them know and tell them to stop.
I went to our site today and found skateboards, picture frames, rusted out gutters, washing trolley and skirting boards and most annoying was a heap of timber that had been eaten out by white ants. It had all been dumped in the skip but the nerve of some people, I don't mind a little bit, but not all their junk. We live in a very small culdesac (6 house street 3 block are still empty) yet they still back up and dump it. If I knew who it was I would be letting them know.

If your builder doesn't seem concerned then why should you be. After all, it is his site there dumping the rubbish on.
This sort of thing has been going on since the beginning of time. Sure we get annoyed if we turn up to the site monday and find the skip we had delivered friday half full, but seriously its not worth getting in a spin over.
If your concerned about extra costs, just take some pics you can pull out at the end if they try and hit you up.
It's not a very nice introduction to your neighbours is it? We had the same thing happen to us - it was amazing what finished up in the skip but we weren't charged for it so didn't worry too much about it. It was worse when they took the skip away for the last two months of the build - the place looked like a tip all the way around the house!

I don't know if I'd want to upset my neighbours though by telling them you know what they did ... could be awkward when you move in although I understand they have upset you ....
normally if there is an address on the rubbish all you need to do is to give council a call and they will make sure your neighbour take care of it, together with the rest that has no address on it...... lol.

I think they have a 24/48 hours time frame to clean it up before a ticket is issued.
Hi, we has a similar thing happening with rubbish magically appearing from next door on our land so I just picked it up if it was light and gave it back to them. If I was you in your case, if the rubbish was just being put in the skip I would probably let it slide, but if they start putting things on your land potentially forcing you to deal with them I would probably have a word.
sarbear
Husband does however want to knock on their door and politely tell them not to do it any more.

This is one option, and a pretty logical one. However in the interest of neighbourly relations I would ignore it unless you start getting some really big items dumped that fill the skip up. If you are concerned about being charged - raise it with your builder. If he indicates that it will be an issue then raise it with your neighbours.

Unfortunately this is one of the disadvantages of being the last to build in an area. But like you said - you will probably have to live next to these people for a while - why ruin a relationship over some boxes (which you probably won't have to pay for)
We had this happen, well possibly it will still happen. But we didn't have a skip the neighbours just decided to launch tvs, boxes, chairs, bbqs over the temporary build fence onto our front ground. Luckily our builder has just cleared all the rubbish and hasn't mentioned it! But no if I knew who it was I would confront them and ask them not to do it.
Although if it was in a skip and not just launched on top of new building products and wherever they felt like then its not as bad.
Your neighbours have already strained the relationship the moment they decided to dump rubbish on your block. What kind of neighbour dumps rubbish for their new neighbour to get rid of?
...the selfish kind
teanah
We had this happen, well possibly it will still happen. But we didn't have a skip the neighbours just decided to launch tvs, boxes, chairs, bbqs over the temporary build fence onto our front ground. Luckily our builder has just cleared all the rubbish and hasn't mentioned it! But no if I knew who it was I would confront them and ask them not to do it.
Although if it was in a skip and not just launched on top of new building products and wherever they felt like then its not as bad.

This is what has happened to us.

We don't have skip bin on site. Builder has sectioned off area for waste and put up steel fence to make square.

Neighbours so far have dumped bbq, TV on footpath, dryer, washing machine, vacuum cleaner and endless amounts of boxes onto our site. Some items are in the waste section but other heavy items did not make it that far.
We have someone's corroded old above ground pool ladder in ours...
I would covertly dump it out the front of their house under the cover of darkness which is probably what they did.
It's happening in our street too. We had our bin emptied and the next day it had other peoples rubbish in it! In the street behind us people have dumped a couple of couches on a block. It's really lame but unfortunately we can't stop it happening. I wouldn't like to think the builders would charge you for it especially being its not your stuff. McKeachies has become a bit of a dumping ground
Jase
I would covertly dump it out the front of their house under the cover of darkness which is probably what they did.

If you choose to do this, make sure the stuff you return is clearly identified as being their gear or coming from their place.
Related
13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

3/12/2023
Neighbours rights to house access during reno

General Discussion

The only thing to add to these comments is that where possible it's always good to try and work with people than just say "no" because you can. Having someone…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum