Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis Upgrades and Costs

Page 5 of 32
Imlost
Mumtomonkeys
Excellent, thanks I'm lost. I wanted to include it but my SC says its expensive to do so, and that we're better off going with the solar promotion at 4k. Right, off to email her again and insist on quote for upgraded insulation

What is the solar promotion your talking about? I have not been made aware of this offer, and it is something that would probably be of interest to me.

Can you provide me with further details on this promotion?

I am guessing that when the new brochure "Brave New Year" came out this year that this promo is no longer available for newbies???
Here it is - $3999
1.5kW solar PV Skyline System Solar Panels
Ceiling Insulation upgrade to R4 (standard is 2.5)
Wall insulation upgrade to R1.5
1 Whirlybird

We didn't select this Promo pack, but we paid to upgrade to R4 Ceiling insulation at $238
We were told that R1.5 is the standard for all the walls anyway. (not quite sure about this)
Whirlybird cost to add extra one is around $400
Mumtomonkeys
Imlost
Don't have it in front of me, will confirm for you tomorrow, but from memory it's 1.5kw solar power system (6panels), a whirlybird and upgrade to R1.5 insulation to walls. Price is $3999

And also R4 to ceiling
I'm getting the brave new year promos also. I was tossing up between hebel and extra insulation and my SC said extra insulation is very expensive and I'm better off going with the solar or hebel promo. I emailed her yesterday after this convo but are yet to hear back
So, looking at people's quotes on added insulation, and the whirlybird cost, it doesn't seem worth the 4K IMO. I THINK you could get a better solar system for same price?
Mumtomonkeys
I'm getting the brave new year promos also. I was tossing up between hebel and extra insulation and my SC said extra insulation is very expensive and I'm better off going with the solar or hebel promo. I emailed her yesterday after this convo but are yet to hear back

Hi Mumtomonkeys,

We are building an access house under the brave new year promotion pack.

My suggestion would be to leave the insulation to the contract signing. I got this advice from another homeone forum as they house must comply with a six star energy rating and to achieve this you may need upgraded insulation. I don't know whether this results in a cheaper price but with ours, in order to achieve the 6 star energy rating we had the following presented at contract:
R2.5 insulation to external walls
R4.1 insulation to ceiling
Cost $515
Interesting points about the solar and insulation here. Thanks for posting everyone. I also didn't know about a solar promotion, I am hoping i can add this at my electrical appointment, or at least some kind of solar panel upgrade. As I understand it, all upgrade packs had to be added to the tender, (for which i have now passed that stage) but I would think I can add these at electrical appointment somehow??

I mentioned to my BC I was after extra insulation in the walls, particularly for sound, but we will see what they come up with at the contract appointment.
meowsy
I mentioned to my BC I was after extra insulation in the walls, particularly for sound, but we will see what they come up with at the contract appointment.

We added sound insulation around one room (Rumpus/Kids play/Media) and this was around $600. I think this is only 2 walls also as the other major wall is to the Laundry.
They won't add extra insulation between floors on 2 storey houses. Too much "other stuff" in the way.
MummaDJ, thanks for that. Wow, that is a bit more than I thought. Think we will probably scrap it from the contract!
meowsy
MummaDJ, thanks for that. Wow, that is a bit more than I thought. Think we will probably scrap it from the contract!

Sometimes worth seeing what cost you are given, you can always take it out.
mindabinda
Mumtomonkeys

Hi Mumtomonkeys,

We are building an access house under the brave new year promotion pack.

My suggestion would be to leave the insulation to the contract signing. I got this advice from another homeone forum as they house must comply with a six star energy rating and to achieve this you may need upgraded insulation. I don't know whether this results in a cheaper price but with ours, in order to achieve the 6 star energy rating we had the following presented at contract:
R2.5 insulation to external walls
R4.1 insulation to ceiling
Cost $515

Excellent advice, and price, thanks heaps
Good point MummaDJ, the upgraded insulation in the walls sounds good, and as you say they may just present that at the contract? I'm feeling confused about what I can add now (what is deemed structural), and what I can't...
meowsy
Good point MummaDJ, the upgraded insulation in the walls sounds good, and as you say they may just present that at the contract? I'm feeling confused about what I can add now (what is deemed structural), and what I can't...

Same here meowsy. I've paid my $1000, that's as far as I am ATM. Wondering what I can add at colours, tender and contract
Mumtomonkeys, from what I gather, with the Access homes there is no tender meeting as such, it is done with the SC.. have you had your intro call from the BC yet? When mine called the drawings were literally about to be ordered. I had to quickly email her any changes to the drawing that night.
No, deposit paid about 2-3 weeks ago and we haven't heard a thing. Eagerly waiting though. We're building a lifestyle home so I think we have tender?

Also, I added a list of all the category austral bricks to main pd thread for anyone that's interested
Further to Mum2Monkeys bricks post, I have estimates on pricing for Austral Cat 2 bricks: $691, and Austral Cat 3 bricks: $986 This is on the Montrose 19 with 4th bedroom. So so happy with that given we were quoted $2k on Boral Cat 2!

Also flooring, on Montrose 19 4th bedroom, TimberTop flooring: Spotted Gum1 strip Cat 3: $7080; White Oak 3 strip Cat 2 $3245
How often does PD changes its promotions??
I just got told it would be $1500 to upgrade my kitchen benches from a Cat 1 Essa Stone to Cat 2 and $700 for my pantry. Almost fell off my chair!!!
There goes my lovely colour scheme then!!
meowsy
Further to Mum2Monkeys bricks post, I have estimates on pricing for Austral Cat 2 bricks: $691, and Austral Cat 3 bricks: $986 This is on the Montrose 19 with 4th bedroom. So so happy with that given we were quoted $2k on Boral Cat 2!

Also flooring, on Montrose 19 4th bedroom, TimberTop flooring: Spotted Gum1 strip Cat 3: $7080; White Oak 3 strip Cat 2 $3245

Yay, that's a much better solution for your bricks. So which will you choose?
Do you have a quote for carpets?
ftdt7882
I just got told it would be $1500 to upgrade my kitchen benches from a Cat 1 Essa Stone to Cat 2 and $700 for my pantry. Almost fell off my chair!!!
There goes my lovely colour scheme then!!

Lordy! I'm going to have to make cat 1 work I guess
Mumtomonkeys
meowsy

Yay, that's a much better solution for your bricks. So which will you choose?
Do you have a quote for carpets?

Also, are you having floorboards or carpet in living and study?
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

2/10/2023
Landscaping Options and Costs

Building A New House

Ha all, I am now about half way (maybe a bit more) through my build with Carlisle Homes - double-storey knockdown/rebuild project. So I am now doing my due diligence and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum