Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Follow your gut!

Page 1 of 1
I just wanted to share this tale with those of you who are in the process of building new homes. It's really to encourage everyone to stick to their guns even when the staff at volume builders treat you like you are an idiot/making things up/ just plain difficult.

I built what I thought was a relatively simple, 3 bedroom, single storey home with a volume builder in 2010. I moved in December of that year after copious delays, damage to the home caused by useless tradies and general argument/stress. The 3 month maintenance then took up most of 2011 including a shower having to be removed and replaced 3 times and repairs to the plaster where the roof had leaked.

Anyway ever since I moved in there has been an unpleasant smell in the bathrooms. In the initial maintenance period they discovered that the "stink pipe" (vent that goes out through the roof) had been cut off and tiled over by the roofers
; once that was rectified the smell improved. But then of late I have noticed the smell lingering in my ensuite; I kept thinking maybe I was imagining it because surely there could not be another problem?!

So I called the builder and (credit to them here) they sent out a "maintenance team" member who then contacted their plumber (whom it should be noted was a different plumber to the one who did the house in the first place; that company having gone into recievership!). The new plumber came out this past weekend and had a bit of a look around. He established that the toilet had not been connected properly so the smell from the sewer was leaching back up into my house

The good news is that it can all be fairly easily rectified but it has certainly taught me to follow my gut and seek more information even when others have told me to just let it go.

Cheers
Thanks for sharing ... that's how we all learn. Hope it all gets fixed properly soon!!
Thanks Mclaren; I intend to make sure it does
Sad to hear yr story mate, hope everything goes ok.. thanx for sharing it with us:-)
Well done, to get respect you have to stand up and fight for your rights.
Bravo!
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum