Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who else is building with Eden Brae?

Page 761 of 778
InvincibleInDN
Nekual
hi all

as introd - building drysdale in mapleton grove. just begun the process and as first time build, being reading up on the preparation needed for the apointments. was wondering if anyone has a recent electrical upgrade price list, e.g cost to pre-wire, install downlights, extra powerpoint, etc..

thanks

We had the Electrical appointment early this week. I just got this from the consultant.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W59Zmw ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VWvaFU ... sp=sharing

Enjoy your appointment!

Thanks for sharing these price list and very helpful for my budgeting before building.

Just out of curiosity, since we have selected the upgrade packages, I believe they will let me know what sort of lights are provided (pendant lights, toilet lights, down lights,etc.) and what is not as well as for the security system? Will they let you know what kind of lights included in your package and what type of security system? TIA
raptor19
Thanks for sharing these price list and very helpful for my budgeting before building.

Just out of curiosity, since we have selected the upgrade packages, I believe they will let me know what sort of lights are provided (pendant lights, toilet lights, down lights,etc.) and what is not as well as for the security system? Will they let you know what kind of lights included in your package and what type of security system? TIA

Yes. They will give you a brief about the items you will be getting as the part of the package. In some cases, they will show you the actual product to give you an idea.
I see. I am thinking if I'll just let them install the lightings and will do the rest after handover to save some money.

The plan is to have one light and one powerpoint per room, so i might reposition that one downlight on the corner and have the rest done afterwards. My concern here is if EB will still cover house warranty within the specified timeframe? And I am aware that if the electricals are not done by a licensed electrician, house and content insurance will void any claims if anything happens on the house due to faulty electrical <knock on wood>.

Any experience doing the same thing?
raptor19
I see. I am thinking if I'll just let them install the lightings and will do the rest after handover to save some money.

The plan is to have one light and one powerpoint per room, so i might reposition that one downlight on the corner and have the rest done afterwards. My concern here is if EB will still cover house warranty within the specified timeframe? And I am aware that if the electricals are not done by a licensed electrician, house and content insurance will void any claims if anything happens on the house due to faulty electrical <knock on wood>.

Any experience doing the same thing?

Don't have experience. But it is easy to use your own licensed electrician to install the lights/points if its single storey building. If its double storey, its is tricky to modify the ground level.
welby
sohnaeo
HoudaMan

PGH covered the cost of nawkaw I believe. The job was ok, not close to fantastic. We tried to get them back to do more, but it just didn't happen. Then after I had a manager involved and they redid some bricks around the house, they used more chipped bricks. We have a nasty brick on our rear alfresco which i will bring up at our maintenance appointment - I doubt they will do anything about it. We're planning on rendering the alfresco anyway at some stage - like the display home.

My upper bricks are going to be cleaned tomorrow, I hope they will do professionally otherwise I may end up with chip bricks. My roof is completed today, will post the pictures soon.

Mine were cleaned early this week and the more i look the worse the mortar looks now. Big holes been blown out by the water and lots of cracks everywhere. Does anyone know if they come back and fix it or do i need to make a point of it?

Sounds like the kind of job they did on mine, The actual brickwork was not to bad but cracks in more then a few parts of the Mortar

https://imgur.com/a/BEDu8hb
https://imgur.com/a/3gPTzNt
We've been living in our place for just over a year now and every time the washing machine runs or we use the 'small flush' on two of our toilets, there's a kind of 'bang' you can hear. Only happens with water that comes from the rainwater tank. It's never bothered me until I looked it up and it turns out it can actually do damage over time. Have others experienced this as well? What's the fix? Is this something I can ask EBH to look at even after all this time?
Cremorne35
We've been living in our place for just over a year now and every time the washing machine runs or we use the 'small flush' on two of our toilets, there's a kind of 'bang' you can hear. Only happens with water that comes from the rainwater tank.

What you have is 'water hammer' caused by the pump generating a pressure wave in the pipe.

Most rainwater harvesting systems are poorly installed and one of many common faults is to spec an unnecessarily large pump to deliver water to low flow end fixtures like toilet cisterns and washing machine solenoids.

Cisterns for example are high use fixtures that fill at a rate of about 6 lpm, there is no need to have a powerful pump.

Standard pressure pumps also have a start up energy demand that is usually about x3 the run demand.

Cremorne35
It's never bothered me until I looked it up and it turns out it can actually do damage over time. Have others experienced this as well? What's the fix? Is this something I can ask EBH to look at even after all this time?

The initial pressure shock can damage a pump (usually the seals) and washing machine solenoids.

Unfortunately, fitting an oversized pump is still compliant plus you accepted the installation as per your contract.

The best thing to do is fit a pressure tank after the pump. A pressure tank supplies about 30-35% water per the tank's volume before the pump needs to start plus it absorbs pressure shock when the pump starts.

If you had let's say a 20 litre pressure tank, it would supply a little more than 6 litres when full before the pump started and so the pump would only start every third 1/2 flush, substantially extending the pump's life and reducing energy use because the pump will run in its 'sweet spot' rather than being strangled by supplying a low flow end fixture.

The 24 litre pressure tank that I have linked below is amazing value for $65 + P+H.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Sale-24 ... 2396401063

Note that if the builder also specked a Rainbank mains water switching device, you will most probably not be able to install a pressure tank. Rainbanks are a poor product choice, there are better and cheaper options.

Most rainwater harvesting systems installed by builders have at least six substandard 'features' that can include non compliance and non adherence to manufacturer's terms and conditions of warranty..
@SaveH2O

thanks for the extensive reply. And yes, the rainwater tank does automatically top up with mains water if it's running empty. Sounds like I should get a plumber to provide me with options!
Bit of a laugh, over here in SA, as the Master Builders - faced with a run-down in building approvals - now campaign to have compulsory inclusion of water tanks removed from the local planning regime so as to reduce building costs. Ah, back to the future.
Cremorne35
Sounds like I should get a plumber to provide me with options!

Do you have a device that feeds water into the tank to maintain a supply to the pump? If so, these are a good option and you can fit a pressure tank.

Davey make the Rainbank and there are some newer ones, maybe they can work with a pressure tank now...I don't know because I don't touch them. If you do have a Rainbank, then you could always contact Davey, quote the model ID and ask if your model is compatible for use with a pressure tank.

kks
Bit of a laugh, over here in SA, as the Master Builders - faced with a run-down in building approvals - now campaign to have compulsory inclusion of water tanks removed from the local planning regime so as to reduce building costs. Ah, back to the future.

South Australia is an interesting study as the mains water is not particularly good.

SA has a variation in the Plumbing Code of Australia (Part 3 of the National Construction Code) that prohibits the use of cheaper $$$ and bullet proof manual mains water switching devices and this may be because of the SA requirement for a minimum 1,000 L tank which is crazily small.

New home owners are rarely given options and builders (in all States) charge hugely inflated prices for poor product choices and substandard installations. This is gravy for the builders and expensive harvested rainwater for the home owner. If builders were willing, many installation costs could easily be halved and yield increased for greater homeowner and environmental benefits.
@SaveH2O

My 3000L rain water tank indeed has a Davey pump and Rainbank installed and has access to main water if the tank has run empty. It's a good idea to ask them - will do!

@kks : OMG...
Cremorne35
And yes, the rainwater tank does automatically top up with mains water if it's running empty.

When you posted the above saying that the tank was topped up, I was hoping that you had an inexpensive top up device that ensures that the tank always has enough water depth to supply the pump.

https://www.malvernirrigation.com.au/wp ... eneral.pdf

If you have a submersible pump and you know the model, I strongly suggest that you look it up online and see whether it draws water from the bottom like in the first photo (red arrows) or whether it snorkels water from above the anaerobic zone. If it draws from the bottom, you need to make sure that they haven't simply plonked it on the tank's floor (which is commonly done) where it will sit vacuuming the sediment layer, a common cause of complaint for dirty water in toilet cisterns and clogged washing machine filters. If this description fits your pump and installation, this would almost certainly void the manufacturer's terms and conditions of warranty in which case you can demand that the pump is properly installed.

The second photo shows a bottom suction submersible pump not elevated above the sediment layer and the tell all sign of it having vacuumed the surrounding sediment. When the water level is low, the sediment is redistributed by the force of the infeed water dropping at height into the tank. Many tanks have the top meshed inlet above the (submersible) pump...believe it or not!

External pumps also give grief when not correctly installed.
Hi

anyone know the average time from start of brickwork, roofing, etc up to pre-lining stage?
For single storey build
Hi Guys,
Need some advise.
I seem to be struggling to convince landscapers to give me a quote prior to start of construction. The issue seems, they would rather wait until the cut and fill is complete for a confirmed quote. I would however like a quote, even if it were an estimate only or worst case, so that i could use it to proceed with the bank loan. How have others overcome the issue?
Hello,
I am at the initial stage of going with EB to build Bristol28+2SQ option. For Facade, I am planning to go with Montague. However, it doesn't come with Glass Balustrades by default and EB is quoting $3500 for this. In addition, they have quoted $2000 for Facade treatment. I feel this as a rip off. Anyone have done this in the past? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Niel07
Hi Guys,
Need some advise.
I seem to be struggling to convince landscapers to give me a quote prior to start of construction. The issue seems, they would rather wait until the cut and fill is complete for a confirmed quote. I would however like a quote, even if it were an estimate only or worst case, so that i could use it to proceed with the bank loan. How have others overcome the issue?
We finished building with EBH mid way through last year. I am a landscaper and it wasn't until the house was finished that I finalised my landscape plan.

I totally understand the landscapers wanting finished levels before providing quotes. 300mm here, 200mm there - completely different quantities and costs depending on what you are after.

Others may disagree, but that's my 2 cents.

Do you have any sort of landscape plan, or just ideas? It could range from a few thousand for just turf to 10s of thousands for retaining walls, plants, paving, concrete, turf and soil (either brought in or taken out), decking and pool.

We were taught that as a rough guide, expect to pay between 5% and 10% of the cost of your house for landscaping. $500,000 house = $25,000-$50,000 for landscaping.

Thanks Winto. That is what i have understood as well. The verbal estimates i have recieved as very much within the range you have above quoted.
We have decided to remove the landscaping being funded by the bank and will be funding ourselves once construction is completed.
nimalrajphilips
Hello,
I am at the initial stage of going with EB to build Bristol28+2SQ option. For Facade, I am planning to go with Montague. However, it doesn't come with Glass Balustrades by default and EB is quoting $3500 for this. In addition, they have quoted $2000 for Facade treatment. I feel this as a rip off. Anyone have done this in the past? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Negotiate. They do come at a premium as its non standard.
Niel07
nimalrajphilips
Hello,
Thanks

Negotiate. They do come at a premium as its non standard.
Thanks Niel07. I am not a good negotiator. Will give it a go anyway.
Wondering whether it's possible to do the glass balustrades after handover? Anyone done it before?

My tender appointment is in couple of weeks time. Can someone give me an idea on what will be presented, discussed and finalised on the tender appointment day?

I am aware that the structural has to be finalised and cannot be changed once the tender is accepted. Apart from that, anything else? Anybody has any checklist which I can use it to prepare myself? TIA.

Related
5/04/2024
Eden Brae Homes Feedback

Building A New House

I built with EB back on 2009. Check out this thread on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12911&p=154061#p154061 I can't speak for recent expericience however, we had no…

24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum