Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who else is building with Eden Brae?

Page 743 of 778
maddy_w
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. We just had our tender appointment and building in North Kellyville. EBH is quoting around 60,000 for site costs in various forms. Is this the normal amount?
It's just a 24sq single storey house.

Thanks!

What Home are you building? Did you not go for the essentials package which covers most of your site costs?

Kind Regards,

Bruce
"Building an Eden Brae Waldorf 50 in North Kellyville"
Blog: http://waldorf50.blogspot.com.au

A Mobile Solicitor at Wong & Horta Lawyers
wongbruce
nomnomnom

Do it out of hours and be discreet.

Good advice except Eden Brae has cameras on their sites for some of their homes that they build which is for CCTV monitoring and allows the owner to check the construction of the building.

Kind Regards,

Bruce

Wow, Is that right? Gees EBH a step ahead of my builder then. Yes, Be very cautious then.... Consider a drone. perhaps?

wongbruce
maddy_w
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. We just had our tender appointment and building in North Kellyville. EBH is quoting around 60,000 for site costs in various forms. Is this the normal amount?

Thanks!

What Home are you building? Did you not go for the essentials package which covers most of your site costs?

Kind Regards,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I'm building London in Advantage series. Essential package is not there for Advantage.

Thanks!
nomnomnom
Hey Voz,

I'm building with another project builder but I would absolutely say you need to be on site and check out the work at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Do it out of hours and be discreet.

Take photos and keep a written log spreadsheet (date, issue, Reported date, fixed by date, inspected fix, escalation, etc). Never email the SM photos unless you can show it was taken from the fence.

Buy a pair of steel cap boots and keep them in the boot of your car for visits so that you don't accidentally step on a nail or kick a timber with nails hanging out (more common than you think)

Your build will only be as good as your site manager and the issues you raise.

Key times I reckon you must be on site to meet the tradies are plumbing rough in, Electrical rough in and the day of plasterboarding.

For example, if i was not on site the day that plasterboarding happened I wouldn't have caught them not insulating large areas of external walls. I was able to take pics of half plastered walls with insulation missing to prove the case.

Another way to think of it is as follows. Each site manager has maybe 15-20 jobs on the go at any time. More of they are working in just one estate and they don't have to travel far. Given a 40 hr working week, That means they will spend about 2 hrs a week on your build. Develop a good relationship with your SM so that if you need to talk about things is easier to discuss. If you feel your concerns are being addressed, call the manufacturers hotline and ask to speak to a technical manager, or there is always the construction manager or social media.

Good luck!

Hi nomnomnom,

Appreciate your inputs and totally agree that we have to be on the top of things to get good quality build.

Unfortunately (for this topic only, otherwise helpful), my package includes onsite camera so I won't be able to inspect without being accompanied by my SS. So I had a choice of accepting the builder's work as they do or hire a private inspector at critical stages. I chose to hire a private inspector so hoping major issues will be picked up by him.

Usually EBH/SS organises a walkthrough with the owner before Gyprock sheeting.. Now I know what to look for - inconsistent insulation work! Will keep an eye, thanks.

Question - When people say escalate in general, who to escalate to? Eden Brae management? Fair trading?

Thanks much!
Hi guys,

I got Pre-lining inspection completed this afternoon by my inspector. He took only 15 mins - that was really quick!

Those who hired private inspectors, how long did it take for yours?

He found few issues but he missed a few bowed frames which I picked up and reported to him. He appreciated me and said I must be doing his job!!!

Not really happy as he missed straight forward stuff picked up by me. Do you think I can negotiate and pay him less? It's not that I want to save $ but I'm not 100% happy with his work to be honest.

Similar experiences? What did you do? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks much!
I hope it was not the inspector I recommended

dreamh0me
I hope it was not the inspector I recommended

Not your inspector dreamh0me!
maddy_w
Hi All,

Thanks!

Hi maddy_w

Congratulations on choosing your builder.

There is no general rule about how much site cost should be. It depends on what the builder has included in their site costs which can vastly differ from builder to builder.

For example, some builders may have site costs at about $10,000 and then separate their service connections as a separate line item and with a separate cost of say, $5,000 for example. Should the service connection be part of site costs? if so, then site costs are $15,000. If not, then site costs are $10,000 plus service connections at $15,000.

Essentially, you need to compare what is included in your entire tender and has the builder accommodated for every site cost and has fixed the tender for you before you sign off and give the builder more money. Once you do that, then you can compare builders on overall price and overall inclusions and site / authority costs.

I hope the above helps and all the best with your build.
Thanks
Girgis
0426 558 787
homedevelopment@ansahomes.com.au
Hi Guys,

Reg. insulation,

I was told that I'll see huge bags (kind of thing) in the garage ceiling (and few other areas) for insulation instead of the standard insulation stuff. Is this normal / how they do it? First time building so any inputs and sample pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
Hi voz,

The finish has to be clean regardless of the materials they use. Having said that, what insulation is your builder using? You mentioned "standard".

Thanks.
Girgis
ANSA Homes
www.ansahomes.com.au
ANSA Homes
Hi voz,

The finish has to be clean regardless of the materials they use. Having said that, what insulation is your builder using? You mentioned "standard".

Thanks.
Girgis
ANSA Homes
http://www.ansahomes.com.au

Hi @ANSA Homes,

Sorry for the confusion!

Actually, insulation was half done for ceiling (it was clean) and they have left bags on the top for the remaining areas waiting for the plaster boarding (ceiling). I understand they had to tie the insulation up for the ceiling areas they have completed the work and for the rest, once the plaster boarding is completed for the ceiling, they will just put the insulation on the top of the board without tying it up.

It this the common practice? Please share your experience.

Thanks much!
Hi All,

Quick qn -

I've steps in the front path to the porch. Which is the best option from the below? I'm planning to tile the porch and the steps after handover.

a) Brick steps
b) Concrete steps (when the driveway is poured)

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks much!
Hi Guys,

Gyprock is almost done and I found an issue today. The Left Hand Side (LHS) of the fridge wall is not aligned to the opposite wall (island bench wall) as per the floor plan and kitchen drawing.

Kitchen drawing -

Issue -

I think it's a major issue as it's related to frame and all the rough-in work may have to be redone due to the position of power points, gas point, cold water point (fridge) etc.

Has anyone faced similar type of issue with your build? and how quickly was it resolved? I'm worried it may delay my build process. Please share your experience and thoughts.

Thanks!
voz
Hi All,

Quick qn -

I've steps in the front path to the porch. Which is the best option from the below? I'm planning to tile the porch and the steps after handover.

a) Brick steps
b) Concrete steps (when the driveway is poured)

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks much!

My personal thoughts would be brick as it remains in a timeless state and won’t change over the years especially if you seal it.

Concrete will crack overtime.

Kind Regards,

Bruce

Hi Voz, I suggest you mail the SS with this issue and request clarification.

voz
ANSA Homes
Hi voz,

Thanks.
Girgis
ANSA Homes

Hi @ANSA Homes,

Sorry for the confusion!

Actually, insulation was half done for ceiling (it was clean) and they have left bags on the top for the remaining areas waiting for the plaster boarding (ceiling). I understand they had to tie the insulation up for the ceiling areas they have completed the work and for the rest, once the plaster boarding is completed for the ceiling, they will just put the insulation on the top of the board without tying it up.

It this the common practice? Please share your experience.

Thanks much!

Hi voz,
It sounds like they will be getting the contractor to come back and finish the job. I am not sure why they did them in part. Generally the whole lot happens at the same time but they can always come back and do it later. There are a number of reasons why they could have done it this way, one being that they may not have any access later to that specific area.
Before the job is handed over to you, please make sure that all the insulation is spread around and you are provided with a certificate.
You can also look through the manhole for a quick check but obtaining the certificate is a must.
I hope this helps.
Thanks
Girgis
ANSA Homes
Hello ,
Gyprock has been done today at our place. I am wondering what is next? Tiles or kitchen??

Miffy
Hello ,
Gyprock has been done today at our place. I am wondering what is next? Tiles or kitchen??

We were told cornices and then stairs

Hey, has anyone tried to choose internal paint colours that weren't part of the standard range? Just wondering if they allow any Taubmans colour or if it has to be chosen from the standard colour range. Thanks.
For us they showed Standard range, we didn't asked for anything outside as we happy shortlisted 2 shades (Winter Icy, Ageless). We went with Ageless at the end as Winter Ice for us was too white.
All the best
Related
5/04/2024
Eden Brae Homes Feedback

Building A New House

I built with EB back on 2009. Check out this thread on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12911&p=154061#p154061 I can't speak for recent expericience however, we had no…

24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum