Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Wall Hung Vanity - Problem having all drawers???

Page 1 of 1
The vanity in our Ensuite will be 2m long. I want to have quite a shallow unit that is wall hung and all drawers. However the cabinet maker is saying we must have cupboards under the two basins because of the waste pipes etc. He also says we must have a kickplate underneath to support the unit because of the length of the unit and the fact that there is no wall on one side.

I've seen lots of photos in magazines so I know it can be done with all drawers but can anyone tell me what happens to the waste pipes.

Also is it true that we must have a kick plate?

Thanks,
Ruth
We have a 900 one with 2 drawers (900 wide each) and there is a cut out for pipes in the drawers so that it can be closed

Don't know the answer to the other questions!

Ours is a lot smaller though than yours, but even the middle drawer could have the cut out...?
That's what I though!! Any chance you can post or pm me a copy of your vanity (the inside of a drawer would really help as well).

Thanks,
Ruth
In brick veneer houses, wall hung vanities are attached to additional studs and/or noggins that support the vanity. Ideally the vanity should be attached to a side wall as well to support it, but I would expect if it is well attached to the rear wall, this should be OK. However, with stone benchtops, ceramic basins, etc the vanity could end up being quite heavy so maybe your builder is correct.

As for plumbing, you won't be able to have normal draws, however I have seen waste pipes for kitchen sinks that have a different design that hugs the base of the bowl more and the waste pipes extend to the back or side of the kitchen cupboard. You may be able to ask your builder to do something similar and install drawers that are not as deep to leave room for this pipe work at the back. Alternatively, have the cupboard door fronts modelled to look like drawer fronts with handles placed same as drawers so the vanity looks like it is a bank of drawers.
of course Ruth, happy too.

The bottom drawer was less messy!! ha ha

(but both have the cut out. They arent high...so cant store toilet paper in the drawers etc)

we bought ours made, but here is the link for it
http://www.plumbin.co.nz/shop/Vanities/ ... anity.html

it also shows a pic of the drawers slightly open

LOVE MINE

love drawers...so easy to see all the mess at once!
mine is 900 mm wall hung with a ceramic noodle bowl
How very clever!
I know!!!

could only happen in nz!
Thanks Kiwi, you are a star. We have 2 metres so hoping to have 2 x drawers under each basin and then a small cupboard in the middle (toilet roll, cleaning stuff etc)

Will show this to the Cabinet Maker and see what he says.

Thanks,
Ruth
you are welcome!
Hey there, just saw your thread and thought I would put my thoughts in too - if given the choice I would go drawers all the way over cupboards! They're just so much more practical as you can open them up and see whats inside rather than hunting around for lost items at the back of cupboards. Sorry, not too sure about your other questions though!
Feel free to check out my thread, only just started but would love some thoughts
Related
30/05/2023
share traditional gable roof facade with pillars having ston

Building A New House

traditional gable roof facade - Have you did the dark and light gray color combination in facade with gray stone in facade…

27/04/2024
750mm wide joinery - drawers?

General Discussion

Pulse is correct. It's the trap that takes up space. The plan shows a vessel style basin so you don't have to worry about a basin inset, it's just the trap that the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum