Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Owners of polished porcelin, I need advice please!

Page 1 of 1
I've recently moved into my new house and this morning mopped my polished porcelin tiles for the first time, I used metho and water and squeezed the mop out really well. But when they dried there were streaks and smudges everywhere and looked like they hadnt been cleaned in a week!

They looked great when we moved in so surely there must be a way to clean them well, but I refuse to get down on my hands and knees to clean 80m2 of tiles

Anyone have advice?
You mean as in water marks? We have chocolate coloured polished porcelain in our wet areas which show water marks if mopped too wet. I have been using a Oates brand microfibre mop & I wet the floor with a water spray bottle on mist (like what you use on hair) I only do it this way as it's how I mop the hardwood flooring so I just continue through the house that way, I'm no expert as I've only mopped my new tiles twice but they come up shiny & streak free
Have to agree with Broom, your mop was too wet, sorry!! Until you get a microfibre mop, you could tie a microfibre dishwashing (or duster) cloth over the head of a broom...or an old bath towel works well too.

Don't get on your hands and knees, that's crazy stuff. LOL
Thanks for the replies. I tried a small patch with a damp micro fibre cloth and although there were no streaks, they still looked smudged. Maybe there is some kind of residue still on them that is being smeared as I wipe? Although I can't feel anything?
Also, the builders cleaner used acetone to clean the tiles, should this have removed all the wax coating?

On second thoughts, could the acetone also have stripped the sealer? (they came pre sealed)
selina2106
Thanks for the replies. I tried a small patch with a damp micro fibre cloth and although there were no streaks, they still looked smudged. Maybe there is some kind of residue still on them that is being smeared as I wipe? Although I can't feel anything?

Hi Selina

I have been told by an expert within the industry just to use water and a mircofibre mop only on porcelin tiles. NO CHEMICALS. If it doesnt come off maybe you have optical haze.

Do a google search on "porcelain tiles optical haze consumer perspective" and read the article by Colin Cass. Colin Cass is an expert witness with regards to optical haze.

A consumer has every right to take the tile supplier to Department of Fair Trading if the supplier DID NOT WARN the consumer of the potential for optical haze PRIOR to the purchase.

In the context of the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), this issue is considered a failure to guarantee supply of goods, namely the goods are not of acceptable quality and are not fit for purpose. There is a legal precedent (McGuffie vs Wodonga Carpets) that supports this position. Basically this case says aesthetics is part of "fit for purpose" . If you take this precedent and apply it to optical haze, a reasonable person would expect a polished porcelain tile to be shiny and free from "haze" and for it not to look dirty. Tile companies are saying it is not a defect, but it is a defect/ major failure if you look at the precedent set.

I have spoken to a few industry experts on this issue who have acknowledge it is a big issue with porcelain tiles. It is expensive to get fixed, and as another member Lorna pointed out there is only one company in Australia (sydney) who can fix this issue. I have also spoken to 2 people that have successful wins when taking tile companies to the dept. of Fair Trading regarding this issue

I think alot of the time people think their tiles are hard to clean, but the "dirt, haze is actually in the tile.

If you think it is the actual tile that is an issues go back to your builder/ tile supplier and tell them you want them checked. Be persistent and if they tell you it will be ok once you put a blind up do not take this for an answer. Call Dept. of Fair Trading.

PS, I am not a lawyer, just a consumer ....

Hope this helps
Related
24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

29/10/2023
Need Subfloor Advice for a new build!

Building A New House

XCEM Alpha flooring seems to relatively new and I could not found any reviews. Have you or someone you know have used it and would recommend over other subfloor options?…

30/10/2023
We need Structural Engineers' advice on Driveway Barrier

Building A New House

I’m not a structural engineer but I’m free. you still need an engineer for the plans. I only have part of your plans, but you seem to have a 850mm drop from the side…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum