I would like advice on Austral Bricks. I am building with McDonald Jones

The bricks allowed are
Everyday Life $895
Urban One $1115
Impressions $1065
Old Colonial $895
Whitsundays $1045

Bricks I like are Urban One - Pepper colour and Silver colour

Does any one has negative experience with the above brick?

It's a modern, contemporary house that I am building.

What would you recommend?

This is my first post and thank you in advance.
We have urban one silver as our main brick & pepper as a feature. A lot of people have had trouble with the silver but this was a couple of years ago so not sure what they are like now. You can do a search as I think there used to be a thread on it. We had a little bit of trouble & it happens when they are cleaned & the coating comes off. My neighbours had to get there's rendered it was that bad!

Loretta
Thanks Loretta I will look for the thread...
Urban one and I think whitsundays ranges are not colour through bricks, that is the under layers is a standard red brick so when chipped this comes through hence the issues many people have had.

You have two options, if you go for a urban one/Whitsunday brick make sure the brick layers and brick cleaners are very careful with the bricks

Or

Pick a colour through brick, personally this is the way I went
kdgirl
Urban one and I think whitsundays ranges are not colour through bricks, that is the under layers is a standard red brick so when chipped this comes through hence the issues many people have had.

You have two options, if you go for a urban one/Whitsunday brick make sure the brick layers and brick cleaners are very careful with the bricks

Or

Very interesting, thanks. How do you tell which ones or do you know which ones from the Austral range are colour through?
animal
kdgirl

Or

Very interesting, thanks. How do you tell which ones or do you know which ones from the Austral range are colour through?

The exposed side is coloured... The colour through bricks have the same colour all around and internally
Thanks for the feedback. I am now considering Metropolis / Symmetry ranges from Austral Bricks
We also considered the whitsunday orpheus range until I read on here about the painted finish bricks, we also decided to upgrade our bricks to symmetry asphalt, I love the symmetry range, didnt really look at the metroppolis range, I think they were much more to upgrade
We used Carlisle bricks from the whitsunday range and are very happy with them, no issues with the colour.
I know this is an old thread but I thought it might be helpful to know that Urban one bricks aren't a painted red brick anymore. They are still painted but the actual clay is very close to the colour of the paint.
We are using Austral Urban One - Pepper and I have samples of them and been to the brick yard to confirm this.
Hope that helps anyone who was searching Austral Bricks like I was.
joshnjacqui
I know this is an old thread but I thought it might be helpful to know that Urban one bricks aren't a painted red brick anymore. They are still painted but the actual clay is very close to the colour of the paint.
We are using Austral Urban One - Pepper and I have samples of them and been to the brick yard to confirm this.
Hope that helps anyone who was searching Austral Bricks like I was.

Having chosen the Urban One Latte, I was reading through this thread (which I'd not seen before) and wondering to myself (in a David Byrne voice) "Oh my God, what have I done!" ... but then I got to your post, thanks for the clarification, and what you say makes a lot of sense. If our sample-brick chipped I don't think you'd really notice the colour difference. In fact, it almost looks more like it's soaked in something than just "painted" on the outside ... maybe like liquid into this chalk.
Haha, yeah I know, I was the same! I was freaking out for a sec. But I looked into it and turns out its all good. Latte are nice bricks, we nearly chose them too.
Hi joshnjacqui,

I am also looking at the urban one pepper, I went to Austral over the weekend and got a sample and I actually thought this brick was a colour through bricks as the colour of the brick in the middle looks so similar to the face, that was until I read some of the forums. Have you started building with these bricks yet, I would love to hear your feedback on them.
Hi AW888,

We haven't started building yet. We will be very soon (just got council approval today), so as soon as they start laying them I can give some feedback.
But you can rest assured they are now a colour through brick (or close enough anyway). I have confirmed this with Austral and Mirvac (our builder). If they do get a bit of a chip, you wont notice at all anymore.
That's great to hear. Thanks, I look forward to you feedback on them!
Sorry it's taken so long to post up some feed back on these bricks. We are nearly finished building but I only just remembered I was gonna take a pic. The bricks turned out awesome, we love them.
Anyway since they are now practically colour thru bricks they finish really well as shown. Hope this helps anyone looking at using them

Related
10/07/2023
Orange rust spots one driveway

Building A New House

Very common on rendered homes Smaller suppliers get the lower quality raw materials

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

24/10/2023
Independent Building Inspectors - I had my first one

Building A New House

That is a really good attitude Akin to you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I do enjoy watching that tik tok inspector from Victoria but he does go a little…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum