Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Comments on draft house plan

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone had any comments on my house plans. They are a very rough draft - you will have to use your imagination a bit regarding doors, windows etc. and the room sizes will be fiddled with a bit - I stuck to 50cm2 grids because I knocked the whole thing up in Microsoft Word

The house will be on a large semi-rural block. There are views in every direction except to the left (neighbors house) and to the back behind the Bath / hall / WIP (shed). North is in the bottom left corner.

Thanks in advance!

fantastic! but I think you need more storage
I would swap the locations of bedroom 3 & the bathroom, putting the bathroom & wc between bed 3 & 4. This will make the wc easier to get to from the living areas. I would then swap the positions of the laundry & the WIP, putting the laundry on the external wall with a door to outside off it. This would also mean you could use that end part of the hall as part of the laundry, increasing usable space & less dead hallway space. You could probably use the extra space as a WIL from the laundry. Yes in fact that's what I'd do - imagine the laundry & WIP swapped, you would have a door to the laundry off the hall to the right -- probably about opposite the door to bed 3. The hall would end just after these 2 doors. The existing extra hall would then be a WIL off the laundry next to the external door. Hard to describe without drawing it
I'll give it a go if I get time.

Michael
For me I would tend to swap the location of the No 2 Bedroom and the outdoor entertaining area. Reason - all the secondary bedrooms have good access to main bathroom. You would get the benefits of the evening sun in the outdoor entertaining area and be able to watch the sunset.

I would also have the kitchen at the right of the dining room. Reason-With a hot water service close to the kitchen and ensuite you won't have to run the shower long to get hot water
Michael you are a smart man!

Like this?

Kiwi I think Michael has solved the storage problem with his WIL suggestion. I have also added a linen to the other end of the house.

Bashworth I tend to agree with you about moving Bed 2 so that all secondary bedrooms have access to the main bathroom. I think Bed 2 being a bit of a 'bathroom orphan' is one of the compromises we will have to make to have the house work best with the views, the sun and the positioning of the neighbours houses. Good point about the HWS will have to have a think about where that will be located in relation to the ensuite.

Thanks a million for your suggestions - keep them coming!
Yes Ribbon, you got my ideas spot on! If you have a look at my build thread, your kitchen would be about the same shape as ours is. We have the door to the pantry in the same place.
and you still keep a pantry! whaooa

what about a small ensuite in bed 2? then it can be called a 'guest bedroom' later. (or MIL's...nice, right next to yours!)
it could be a a buffer to your bedroom..where you have a space where a wardobe could go, also put in a small wet room, or a 1 x 1 shower, small vanity and toilet.

That way, bed 2 doesnt have to walk past all the guests naked to brush their teeth...just saying!

or do this?
(use the WIR in bed 2 for some linen space..and then you can access your bedroom)

Hmm not sure which plan to comment on! Laundry and WIP - like Kiwi's drawing. I wonder if it would be better to put the WC where the linen is so it is on an outside wall with natural ventilation - their fans are noisy and it would be on for day-use as well as nighttime with the light. Push the pantry right to be level with the bench and get a cupboard behind the pantry Or turn the WC space 90 deg. for a cupboard.
Are the views too good for the ensuite to be away from the dining room and put on the right side outside wall? So it's WIR then BR, then Ens.
All those staggers - B3 drops to Bath drops to Bed 4 - cost money ?
Ensuite for B2 is good but maybe WIR is overkill - don't spoil the kids or guests - they won't leave.
yeah, true...mind you it isnt really a wir, as it is pretty tiny compared to master wir! that is like a lounge.
(I KNOW< not to scale...but nice to dream while it is not to scale)

you could swap wardobe in bed 2, with the ensuite thing and have it 2 way, so it could be a powder room for guests not staying / 3 rd bathroom but with access via bed 2

just thought of that!!! man I am good!!!!
linen cupboard...have it in the powder room, as that is where towels are needed and bedding for bed 2
actually not that good an idea, as now it isnt on an outside wall..so would need a skylight/ fan etc

havent accessed it from bed 2 but you could if you didnt have a cupboard there!
Well seeing it's just pencil and paper - how about B1 where B2 is, B2 where Ens and WIR are, new ens and WIR in whatever is left over.
Or indeed, B1 where B2 is, B2 over at Laundry and part of kitchen, so dining goes where ens and wir are and they move along..

Which way is the access to the garage?
Love you guys!

Will think on the other comments, but just quickly for planfan the garage is from the top left corner of the house. Actually, that is why I say there is no view from behind Bed 3 / WIL / laundry - the carport off the side of the shed is directly behind that space.

The roof of the shed and carport is going to be bigger than the roof of the house :/

I'm not sure how expensive the staggers are... but I love the idea of every bedroom having a view to the front. I probably shouldn't post this in case someone recognises it but... this will be the view from the front of the house.

Nice!!!!
Related
26/01/2024
Terracotta roof draft issues

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi everyone I have a terracotta tiles roof When I climb inside the roof cavity I can feel that there is a draft inside the roof as the wind goes through the roof which is…

20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum