Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Can Neighbour stand in my land when build his new garage?

Page 1 of 5
Council has approved neighbour to build garage on boundary line where is adjoining fence sitting now. I offered to move adjoining fence into my land by 10mm, so that the boundary line available for him to use, but he further requested his builder needs to temp use my backyard about 8 meter long and 1M wide, which leaves no backyard space for me at all. And I have animals at backyard, I don’t want leave an open backyard, as he cannot guarantee the building time.

I need everyone’s opinion here, I know that it’s his right to build on boundary line, but I say NO to his builders to stand in my land? Thanks
Tell him to pay for temporary accomodation for your pets and let him use your land out of good faith.
Am I reading this wrong? Your animals live in a 8m long by 1m wide area?
notremaison
Am I reading this wrong? Your animals live in a 8m long by 1m wide area?

that's the area his builder needs to access, which is taken almost half of my backyard...
The access would only be temporary and it would be up to the builder to fence it off so your animas are OK.
If he bricks the garage from your side than they can do a much cleaner bricking job.
I guess if your neighbour is polite and considerate I would try to accommodate him if I were you even though I understand it will be inconvenient. Try to get at least an estimate of the time it will be necessary. You may find it won't be long.
Thanks for the opinion guys. but legally I dont have to let him into my land....
Legally no you don't-but you DO have to live next door and if you can find a compromise your future neighbourly relations will be much smoother!
+1

As Bam said it will be a much cleaner bricking job - something to think about as it will be on your boundary and something you have to look at.
Fiona, if the builder provides a temporary fence so the animals are secure why do you object to him coming on to your land to do the bricking?
Just say no then. We did. The bricking was still neat. I couldn't trust builders to be around my dogs, the little buggers are too friendly and besides, i didn't want anyone in my backyard when I wasn't home.
You don't have to let them, and the argument that it is going to be neater if they can use your backyard... Well, it was still neat in my case.
We let the rude builder and equally rude neigbour access to our land when bricking. Now I have mortar bits all over my wall and windows, and they didn't clean it up afterwards.
fiona, make sure the builder cleans up afterwards. Maybe make him put it in writing.
We have friends who extended/renovated this year with nightmare neighbours. Their brick boundary wall had to be built from their side as the neighbours refused access. The end result was their entire build was done from within their property. The neighbours were so hostile that if some building product fell onto their land it would come sailing over the fence line, yes a dropped brick etc. The existing structure is weatherboard, the new is brick, so the outcome for the neighbour is a paint peeling weatherboard wall and an un cleaned/finished brick wall.
We however have great neighbours and have had temp fencing on their land for nearly 6 months (removed this week). Our build was right on the boundary and as it turns out the boundary was out by up to 40cms in our favour, which in the end they were great about. So the outcome for them has been a clean brick wall that we are happy for them to render or fix anything they like to it. They have a awesome German Shepard that we had to keep safe, we told all our tradies that it would eat them if the fencing wasn’t maintained…worked a treat for our neighbours privacy and the dogs safety.
What are we talking here? 2 maybe 3 days to throw up an 8m wall.
I dont see a need to be a pain in the backside, just try to get along with everyone and stop putting up road blocks.
If it's going to be a big deal for you then just say no, just remember one day you might need something or maybe your dog gets out while your away, that same neighbour you wouldn't let build his wall from your land maybe the one who puts your dog in before it gets run over.
Or maybe not.
A bit harsh?
I would try and accommodate as much as possible without it being too much of an inconvenience for you. Might mean the dogs need to be exercised a bit more whilst the work goes on. You may have your neighbours for a very long time.
Dollar
I would try and accommodate as much as possible without it being too much of an inconvenience for you. Might mean the dogs need to be exercised a bit more whilst the work goes on. You may have your neighbours for a very long time.

Agreed... having good neighbours is key!

Not sure what the big deal is really, as long as its quick, and the clean up. Get on with your life.
Totally agrree wtih *MrsG* and gelatiii above. I dont have any further argument...coz they are already a few...i have two dogs and two show cats...i am not comfortable with situation..

I am not trying to be hard or anything, just the neighbour says he will take me to court if i say no...i dont like his attitude at all! and he cannot promise the duration to have the temp fence...i want him to put in writing but he says No...he said he needs access to my backyard as long as the job finished...

look, with discussion/Negotiation is not going to anywhere...i just dont have any trouble aferwards
Related
22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

7/03/2024
Tradie charges to fix his mistake

Renovation + Home Improvement

Unless there were unforeseeable issues with the site, I dont think you should have to pay for contractors errors or poor planning. I'd probably try and be reasonable and…

5/12/2023
Hi, I'm looking for a structural solution to stand alone pic

General Discussion

Sorry! I'm new to this forum and have made a mistake in my posting! I'm looking for a structural solution to a stand alone wooden pickets fence with no structural rail…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum