Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our build thread : Wisdom Manhatten 43

Page 1 of 2
Have been thinking that we should have a thread of our own.
We are building with Wisdom and building the Manhatten 43 (bathroom) unchanged.

We had tenders done by:

Eden Brae Deposit paid: Mar,2011
Allcastle deposit paid: Mar, 2011
Clarendon Deposit paid: Apr, 2011

Eden Brae and AllCastle tenders were very expensive for the house chosen - not value for money. Clarendon was pretty thorough, however, we were not getting the dream house we wanted, plus their inclusions are nowhere close to Wisdom's. Wisdom's is pricier by about 25k for a similar size house compared to Clarendon's, but is a class apart.

Stay tuned.
Hi there

We are building with Wisdom too - the Majestic 40. How has your build progressed?
Congratulations !
I look forward to reading about your build
Our slab and frame has completed.
Slab was finished about 4 weeks ago.
Frame completed last week.
Does anyone know whether we can ask the builder or the private certifier to provide us with stage certificates for each stage? Normally someone has to certify each stage right?

Since we went through a private certifier throughout, i.e., a complying development, should I be demanding an inspection and a certificate from the certifier or builder? By the way, the builder used their preferred certifier.

Regards,
gun
gunny
Does anyone know whether we can ask the builder or the private certifier to provide us with stage certificates for each stage? Normally someone has to certify each stage right?

Since we went through a private certifier throughout, i.e., a complying development, should I be demanding an inspection and a certificate from the certifier or builder? By the way, the builder used their preferred certifier.

Further to this, can I insist that I will be on site for the certifier to walk me through the construction so far?
gunny
gunny

Further to this, can I insist that I will be on site for the certifier to walk me through the construction so far?

Can someone please help with these questions? I think the builder has made a mistake and is now trying to cover it up. I need to communicate this to the builder now, before the bricking starts to fix this problem.
Hi gunny,
Congrats for your new thread & building.

I'm also building with Wisdom.
What's actually the problem, what mistakes did they do?

I can recommend Howard & Ryan, H&K Ryan, we're going to use them.
They have been used by few Wisdomer here.
We're going to use them before the gyprock and before we pay the last 10% (final inspection).
willcres
Hi gunny,
Congrats for your new thread & building.

I'm also building with Wisdom.
What's actually the problem, what mistakes did they do?

I can recommend Howard & Ryan, H&K Ryan, we're going to use them.
They have been used by few Wisdomer here.
We're going to use them before the gyprock and before we pay the last 10% (final inspection).

How much does it cost you to go through the independent certifier for those tow stages?
I think about $695 each stage. Not sure, it was last year I contacted them.
You should have been provided with private certifier details and can contact them directly. If you are not sure of the details, these should also be available on you temp fence.
When I suspected a problem with my build, I spoke to the certifier and discussed the issue. He was happy to advise and listen.
I have also found out that inspections by private certifier occur at slab stage, before and after concrete. Frame stage inspection is done after the bricks are done, so frame and brick inspection is done at the same time.
If you suspect problem with the frame, like overhang, advise the builder straight away in writing. Youd should look out for frame overhang and refer to buidling standards. I recall that standard is up to 10mm overhang only. Anyway, this was a problem with my build and I think it's the most frequent one when it comes to frame issues.
In the end, our slab was the porblem, not the frame as thy prefab the frame and carpenters don't care if it doesn't exactly fit the slab 100%. Our slab was somewhat short in a few places, which builder had to fix.
Hope this helps.
taki
You should have been provided with private certifier details and can contact them directly. If you are not sure of the details, these should also be available on you temp fence.
When I suspected a problem with my build, I spoke to the certifier and discussed the issue. He was happy to advise and listen.

Thankyou taki and willcres. I will get in touch with my certifier.

We have some dropped edge beams and the builder has put the termite protection way down the ground. It means that when we make the stairs or do landscaping our termite protection guarantee might be void.
Gunny,
What do you mean by way down the ground?
Where it supposed to be put then? How did you know it will void the termite warranty?

So what did Wisdom say about this?

Thanks.
willcres
Gunny,
What do you mean by way down the ground?
Where it supposed to be put then? How did you know it will void the termite warranty?

So what did Wisdom say about this?

Thanks.

Hi willcres, The builder has to ensure that the termite protection is applied so that you can later raise your ground level to finished floor level as shown in the plans. If termite protection is applied at a wrong datum, then you fill it with soil, termites can come in contact with your frame.

My site supervisor just dismissed the idea as it is more expense for them to fix this. I am taking it up with my certifier and will raise it officially with wisdom.
Apparently there are two types of treatment one to the slab, and "orange" piping that goes around the perimeter of the house above ground so you can "top it up" prior to doing your landscaping. After it is topped up, it can be buried a certain distance below ground.

In cases where cement was being poured (like our driveway), it was placed under the driveway.

Once handover is complete , the onus is on the consumer to arrange treatment of the orange piping. It costs around $400. This cost was not included in our tender and we were surprised we were not told about it until after the house was built. It has to be topped up/ treated yearly so the house warranty is not voided.

If you need the name of a building consultant to check each stage, more than happy to give you the names of the two we used. Cost varied dependent on the stage eg: we got inspections at slab, bricks, before internal fitting stages and just before PCI. Overall it cost around $2.5k, great insurance for knowing there are no issues with each stage

We also engaged the builders certifier, but was comfortable in doing so as we were paying a building consultant to check the quality of work. I wouldnt have been comfortable with just using the Builders Certifier. The best certifiers apparently are council ones as they are the strictest. If I had my time over, I would opt for the council certification

Hope this is of some assistance
Hi KAN, Thank you for the detailed explanation. Really appreciate. Your situation is what I am trying to avoid I guess. Before I engage a building consultant I would want to see what my current certifier has to say about any certification and this current issue I am having.

Another completely different question, does anyone know the contact details of the stairs guy Wisdom uses?

thanks.
Hi Gunny - I have sent you a PM with the staircase details
Hi gunny,

Did you have a chance to take a photo for your window's gap?

Do you have a handover date so far?

Thanks.
Hi willcres,
No I have not been able to take any pics yet. We are not yet at lock up.
Our first floor roof is not done yet.
Wisdom is being VERY slow. Not happy. Where are you at the moment?
-g
gunny
Hi willcres,
No I have not been able to take any pics yet. We are not yet at lock up.
Our first floor roof is not done yet.
Wisdom is being VERY slow. Not happy. Where are you at the moment?
-g

Oh, I thought you already got your roof???

Did SJ at your site yesterday?

We have just almost finished the bricks....
then rain & rain....gutter & fascia was supposed to be yesterday ...so hopefully they have something today & tomorrow....
Well SJ called me this morning and mentioned a 8th Aug handover date. I am like 'what?!!!!'
We are not even locked up yet. But our site start was on Jan 30 officially, but they wasted the whole of December and January.

Still officially they will clock up 7+ months which is in out contract.
Related
27/06/2023
Wisdom home facade

Building A New House

Hi, guys! If you've built with Wisdom Homes, would you mind sharing images of your front facades once they're all rendered? I'm considering signing up with them for a wide…

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum