Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Connecting mains power via a stobie pole

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Im new to this site, and I can already see myself spending hours reading through old posts!

My partner and I are looking at building on farm land south of Adelaide, were waiting on quotes etc to come back for the house. The problem is the power is across the road and we need it connected to our block. The pole we can tap into is at the end of a public road, so we dont have to worry about buying land etc from the farmer across the road. Ive contacted ETSA, but they wont even look at it unless we pay $1500+ for them to go and quote it.

So has anyone got a rough idea on what it would cost for approx. 50m of cable and one stobie pole?

TIA
AllyH
Hi
So has anyone got a rough idea on what it would cost for approx. 50m of cable and one stobie pole?

TIA

around $1,500/ pole I think..maybe more as for cable meh anything form $10- $50/m maybe...
alot will depend on how far away from the transformer you are. I assume the pole you are looking to connect to has a transformer on it already; if you are more than I think its 300m you wont be able to connect to it and will need your own. The cable cost is also dependant on distance, the longer the distance the larger the cable. When our block was subdivided (500 acres into our 200 plus some 100 and smaller blocks) the owners had to put in the poles as part of the subdivision. Three poles cost $32k. To connect so we could actually use power it cost us 12.5k for a transformer and 20k for our cabling from the transformer to the house site. The cabling was about 150m in total as we cabled to the house site, our barn and riding arena site. That didnt include digging any of the trenches required, they cost about another 5k to have done. I think any money we paid for the assesment was taken off the quote. The power company also only provided the infrastructure to the pole, from the Pole to your house we had to get a private electrician.
Thankyou for your replies.

Ive allowed between $50 - $70k in our budget. But we have room to move if need be.

The closest pole has a transformer, but I guess if the load is higher we would need another one anyway? Im not sure how they work lol.

We looked at solar, but it seems that it would cost around the same price for a decent set up.

Its all exciting though, I cant wait to actually get started!!!!
If people install them they generally only buy one big enough for themselves, even then I think you would be paying part of the costs to them, better to have your own and not share the power. Your budget is in the right ballpark and its best to pay the money and get the quote. One thing to make sure you get from the electrican that will do the connection to your property, make them give you the quote in writing, we didnt and he quoted 8k and when we got the bill it was 21k. The Power company will give the quote in writing no problem.
If people install them they generally only buy one big enough for themselves, even then I think you would be paying part of the costs to them, better to have your own and not share the power. Your budget is in the right ballpark and its best to pay the money and get the quote. One thing to make sure you get from the electrican that will do the connection to your property, make them give you the quote in writing, we didnt and he quoted 8k and when we got the bill it was 21k. The Power company will give the quote in writing no problem.
OMG!! Did you dispute it? Thats horrible to be so far out!!!

We have a few other bits and pieces to sort out and then I guess we get ETSA out and quote it - in writing - and go from there. And if we end up going under budget, well that money can be used for something else. Something always pops up out of the blue when building lol.
Related
19/09/2023
Mains water to new house

General Discussion

if it's the look that you're not happy with, the easiest option would probably be to spray paint it all into the same color as the walls so it blends in. there might not…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

20/11/2023
Bearer & Joist/Pole Home Construction Cost

Building A New House

Hi Mrboh Just wondering if you have any BAL or flame zone issues on your block, as getting compliance with BAL requirements whilst doing bearers and joists is tough. Not…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum