Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

So what's with the random bits of plywood?

Page 1 of 1
This is probably an obvious for people in the know, but I'll ask anyway. My frame has just been finished and I noticed there are a few bits of plywood around the place. I've seen this on other houses so I guess it's normal. It's obviously not load bearing so I can only guess that it's for bracing. But then there's strips of steel everywhere for that, so I'm baffled.

here's some pictures so you know what I mean:

bracing
The ply provides initial bracing to keep the frame square during assembly. The steel straps provide additional bracing once everything is erected.
more specifically plywood is used for wind bracing
Cool. Thanks folks.
I asked my SS the same thing - when they don't have enough room to angle the bracing framework or require extra strength for certain areas they use the plywood.
http://oak.arch.utas.edu.au/tbia/view_a ... icleID=127
amgsl55
more specifically plywood is used for wind bracing

Buildings are vulnerable to wind damage at all stages of their life cycle. They are particularly vulnerable during the construction phase, especially if roofed with terra cotta or concrete tiles prior to the installation of wall linings or cladding, which is common practice. The installation of plywood bracing, prior to roofing, protects the building during this vulnerable period. It also protects the finished structure from damage from wind during its design lifetime of over 50 years.

Plywood bracing provides an engineered solution using thin structural plywood panels nailed to the timber frame, providing structural shear walls which resist the horizontal racking loads applied to the building by the wind. The plywood panels can be used also to provide resistance to wind uplift by connecting the roof to the subfloor.

source:http://oak.arch.utas.edu.au/tbia/view_article.asp?articleID=52
Related
31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

7/10/2023
Nailing masonite underlay to plywood subfloor

General Discussion

Jimbo73 I would use heaps of adhesive on each sheet and screw rather than nail. use as many as you like cheers Simeon

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum