Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Power pit- melbourne area

Page 1 of 1
hi,

just wondering if anyone can tell me more about getting a power pit in a developed area. We're in Greensborough (NE Melb) and the builders have informed us we need to arrange/supply it.

We're in a developed area (knocked over our house) so understand its going to be tricker. Our neighboroughs are also a vacant block at the moment so we're trying to talk to them about doing it jointly and splitting the costs 50:50.

the power pole is on the other side of the road so am I right thinking they will have to dig up the road to put it under to our block?

Thanks,
Anthea
why cant they just run a cable accross the road?

is all the power underground?
We had to put in an underground power pit. Think it cost us just under $2k. Took about 50 days. The closest power pole was about five metres from our block.
You can't arrange it, has to be done by a registered sparktrician.

They contact energy supplier, they send out a crew for pit and under road work and run cable to pit. Sparky runs from pit to house and fits off.

Check with sparkie, but you should only have to pay from pit to house.
I had an option of getting a power pit in a developed area or run a cable accorss the road. I preferred a pit, given it looks better, provided the cost isn't too high. The builder wanted to charge me a thousand dollars for the temporary power pole, in case I didn't provide the pit. When I got a quote from United Energy, the pit cost $1100, so I ended up getting it.

The cost depends on how close an existing power pole is to your house. They give you 5m free, and then charge something per meter. So if the pole is over 10m away, it's going to be quite costly. Otherwise, you're ok.
We just had one installed last week, it cost us $899 and we have it installed in a built up area. Just call your current electricity provider, they should be able to tell you who's the electricity infrastructure provider in your area, in our case it was Alinta (Southeast suburbs).
I had to organise ours not the sparky although we had to provide contact details for our electrical contractor. Ours was through Allinta too.
We are in an established area & our next door neighbour who built a couple of years ago had an underground pit installed which we want to tap into....does anyone know how much or if we will have to pay anything?
Related
12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

7/04/2024
Storm water overflow pit, is this right?

Building A New House

Thanks for that, the PVC pipe is still about 40cm below ground level and it sticks out of the sand with no end cap or anything on it just open pipe, is this the finished…

7/04/2024
XCEM Alphafloor vs Hebel Power Floor Subfloor option

Building A New House

Would also like an opinion from anyone that has used xcem over hebel for floors. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum