Building A New House
Sep 26, 2011 11:54 am
I had signed a new home order with Burbank homes and left an $1000 initial deposit. Since then, Burbank have done soil testing and I have had a walkthrough at the "Edge" colour studio to get a few ideas on what's on offer.
I've now decided we don't want to proceed with Burbank and would like to build with Urban Edge homes --> better design, better inclusions, apparently better quality. Are we going to run into any problems cancelling with Burbank? We haven't signed any contracts yet, nor even shown them evidence of having finance approved.
Re: Cancelling with Burbank after leaving initial deposit4
Sep 26, 2011 2:21 pm
We did the same thing with another company. You won't get you deposit back but as you haven't signed a contract you aren't obligated to stay. You are also entitled to a copy of your soil report.
With us, our salesman attempted everything under the sun to make us stay with them but we had to do what was right for us.
I hope that helps
Building the Drysdale 30 Wallara Waters, Wallan
My Blog : http://www.ourwallanhome.blogspot.com
My thread: https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50975
Re: Cancelling with Burbank after leaving initial deposit5
Sep 27, 2011 1:17 pm
Thanks for that. Little bit nervous to tell them we aren't going ahead, but, like you said we have to do what's best for us and what is going to get us the best inclusions for our hard earned money!
Cancelling with Burbank after leaving initial deposit6
Sep 28, 2011 8:15 am
We did that exact thing, actually we were on our way to pay the balance of our $5000 deposit (literally on our way with a big wad of cash!) when we changed our mind and are so glad we did! We lost our $1000 too but we didn't ask for it back.
Re: Cancelling with Burbank after leaving initial deposit7
Sep 28, 2011 12:51 pm
We lost a deposit of over 20k... it was a horrible feeling, but we had been through engineering and all sorts so it wasn't as if it was for nothing- they had done a lot of work for us up to that point and our sales rep was bloody fantastic (shame the selections person wasn't- she is the one who made us rethink our build with them in the first place). She cost them our build.. but looking back i'm so glad we didn't build it for so many different reasons.
Even with a contract, you only have to pay for any services provided or things that you owe- you wouldn't be obligated to pay out for services not yet done or expenses that won't be incurred.
Re: Cancelling with Burbank after leaving initial deposit8
Dec 04, 2018 10:30 pm
We signed the contract and paid around 15k to Burbank. We can't go ahead because our construction loan didn't get approved. What do we do now?
- can I cancel the contract and get my money back from Burbank?
- can I tell them to hold for a year or so until I get my loan sorted?
Please guide me if anyone has been through this or know a similar scenario.
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
Bergman58Worst Case Scenario after initial deposit- FairHaven HomesWorst Case Scenario after initial deposit- FairHaven Homes
For anyone looking at this for information these are the standard terms with any builder. I began the same process with another builder and left before tender and lost my…
danyLeaving handles off kitchen .........Leaving handles off kitchen .........
There is a clause in the contract where you can have special conditions but most builders blanco it cuz they don't want to give the owners equal rights . Don't worry about…
MaabhiWhat's involved in cancelling a building contract?What's involved in cancelling a building contract?
Can you pass me details of the broker who can help? Thanks mate.
dollfacecancelling building contract after cooling off periodcancelling building contract after cooling off period
I signed a contract for a house and land package and the contract is the 'Victorian Builders contract' the land has not been subdivided or titled yet and will not be…
JayCee24Cancelling House and Land Package ContractCancelling House and Land Package Contract
Hi icat2000. Thanks for the suggestion and for giving me some info about your cancellation experience. Finance has been approved but siteworks has blown out which is…