Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

feedback on house plans please

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

We're currently trying to put together some plans for a home, which we hope to build next year sometime. We're seeing a housing designer in a couple of weeks, but have drafted up something rough in the meantime. I'd be interested in any and all feedback, to see if there's anything obvious we've missed or should consider.

Thanks so much.

Peta

Note : yellow blocks indicate floor-to-ceiling wardrobes/pantry/linen closets/general storage cupboards.

Looks like a good layout. What size will it be? It would be a bit easier to get an idea of space with some measurements of the rooms.
Looks ok. Position of laundry could be better... and no door?
Hi Peta,

Nice plan. My thoughts:
- The storage in the garage, it would be better to place it in between the 2 doors within garage? that seem like an unused space at the moment
- All the bedrooms are facing SE, I can imagine the bedroom hallway will form quite a dark corridor, not sure what i can suggest, but I do have a preference for as much light as possible in all areas of the house
- Bed4/Study seem rather big, compared to 2 and 3, perhaps reduce that and increase the other 2? Again, I can see another dark corridor right at your entrance

Good luck and hope your dream comes true soon

cheers
d@n
Looks ok. Position of laundry could be better... and no door?

Sorry, we have a cavity sliding door leading from the southern end of the laundry. Drawing is done in SketchUp and so the 2-D pic sometimes doesn't show the detail.

Have now added a toilet into the laundry as well (still working on the plans this afternoon)
selina2106
Looks like a good layout. What size will it be? It would be a bit easier to get an idea of space with some measurements of the rooms.

Will try to add in measurements soon.

Main house (excluding garage & patios) is around 240sqm, patio is about 24 sqm, garage is about 60sqm. To give you an idea...
Bed 1 - 3.9 x 4.1m (excludes wardrobes)

Bed 2 - smaller length is 3.2m, long length is 4m (excludes wardrobe)

Bed 3 - 3.1m x 3.4m (excludes wardrobe)

Bed 4/ study - 3.4m x 4 (excludes wardrobe)
jimnsal
Hi Peta,

Nice plan. My thoughts:
- The storage in the garage, it would be better to place it in between the 2 doors within garage? that seem like an unused space at the moment
- All the bedrooms are facing SE, I can imagine the bedroom hallway will form quite a dark corridor, not sure what i can suggest, but I do have a preference for as much light as possible in all areas of the house
- Bed4/Study seem rather big, compared to 2 and 3, perhaps reduce that and increase the other 2? Again, I can see another dark corridor right at your entrance

Good luck and hope your dream comes true soon

cheers

Hi

A hefty workbench is going to be positioned between the two doors on the RHS of the garage (sorry, it's not currently drawn in, we forgot to add that).

We are planning to have 2 skylights in the bedroom hallway.

Bed 4 will be shared by our 2 daughters until they want their own room. We probably should mark that as bed 2. Then the girls will move into the smaller rooms and I'll have a good sized sewing room. That's the plan .... We're not sure which door we will actually build, so have drawn it up so a door can be added either side of the room, depending on our needs.

Good point about the entrance way, will have to look at that again.
Toilet in the laundry - long way from bedrooms. Make the back of the house longer and put the toilet near bathroom.
I like the laundry near garage and if your backyard is out there, it will be sunny and easy to take the clothes to the line - but it's away from the bedrooms.
Keep both doors in the study - if it's a bedroom, they need access to the bathroom; if it's a sewing rom, you might like easy access to answer front door (not that I would want anyone to see my sewing room from the front door <g>).
Good luck with the designer.
planfan
Toilet in the laundry - long way from bedrooms. Make the back of the house longer and put the toilet near bathroom.
I like the laundry near garage and if your backyard is out there, it will be sunny and easy to take the clothes to the line - but it's away from the bedrooms.
Keep both doors in the study - if it's a bedroom, they need access to the bathroom; if it's a sewing rom, you might like easy access to answer front door (not that I would want anyone to see my sewing room from the front door <g>).
Good luck with the designer.

Have now put a toilet in the laundry, as well as a toilet near main bathroom (and there is also a toilet in ensuite).

I don't really mind if laundry is not near the bedrooms. Rarely anything is that dirty that has to be taken from the bedrooms to the laundry. However, we often come home from the beach or camping and it will be good to dump dirty gear straight in the laundry after we hop out of the car rather than dragging it through the house like we currently do. (Drives me insane with sandy towels etc.) I've never lived in a house where the laundry is next to the bedrooms, so it never occurred to me to put the laundry near the bedrooms. (Is that where laundrys are supposed to go?) Where the laundry is positioned now, it will have best access to midday/afternoon sun.

Pete is keen to have both doors on the study. We can always get privacy locks if we want stop access through one entrance. I suspect we will get it built with both doors.

We have made a few changes (I'll try to post up a pic later). Bed 2 is now 3.1m x 3.4m (excluding the wardrobe). Does that still sound like a reasonable size?
we had a bit more of a play with it last night. latest version below.

Rough room dimensions
Bed 1 : 3.8m x 4.1m (excludes wardrobes)
Bed 2 : 3.1m x 3.4m (excludes wardrobes)
Bed 3 : 3.1m x 3.4m (excludes wardrobes)
Study/Bed 4 : 3.4m x 4.0m (excludes wardrobes)
TV room : 4.4m x 4.0m
Family area : 7m x 4.2m
Kitchen : 3.7m (from southern wall to outside edge of island bench) x 6.4m (from outside edge of fridge to opposite wall overlooking patio). Island bench is 3m long x 1m deep (will have drawers on one side)
Dining area : 3.9m x 3.9m
Garage : 6.7 x 6.6 (where cars can go, does not include cupboard area or workbench area)
Patio : 5.4m x 6.5m
Related
30/06/2023
Looking for house plans improvement recommendations

General Discussion

Really tight at the top of the stairs- how to get furniture into those rooms? Study books - does anyone really use them these days? Large storage closet would be more functional.

19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum