Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Monaco Q1 - Mernda Villages - Frame Pictures uploaded

Page 1 of 4
hey everyone after a few post's on here about drama's and info, I am going to start my own thread and i have started a new blog with images

A little bit about us:
Met at high school and been together ever since, just over 8 years me 26 FH 25. I have been through the build process before around 3 years ago, same postcode but in Laurimar - Doreen. FH decided to start a carpentry apprenticeship at the time.

Easter Sunday this year little did I know that he was going to propose - where else? but on our block. So trying to build a house before November 3, 2012!!!

FH and I put a deposit down on a block in Mernda Villages, North of Melbourne. Block is 717sqm and an odd shape. We have 2 huskies and wanted a backyard for them to play in.

We put deposits down in October 2010 and land we were meant to Settle in July but has been pushed back to next week the 22nd September.

Ever since then, wanted to build with Porter Davis - Got an email from Porter saying they have a new release of house at the Craigieburn display centre. We went down loved the Darnley 29 and put the deposit's down then and there. We got the "Complete" promo for $1,999

http://www.porterdavis.com.au/#/homeviewer/darnley/29

It's quite a long story and for those who have seen my post's, we are most likely going to change to the Monaco Q1

http://www.vic.henley.com.au/#/House/clendonvale/77/FloorPlans/123/

We had Tender on Tuesday, and much to our disappointment and shock, our site cost's came in $20,000 over budget and over what they "verbally" estimated. PD did try to drop the price but still is over budget. At the end of the day we all budgets for a reason. That $10,000 over we need to wedding deposits.

Henley have a greenfield saving of $20,000 (which by swapping our house the base price is $17,100 cheaper) and the promo is for free ($1,999 saving)

We are going down to Mernda Henley tomorrow to see if it is really worth us changing.
At the end of the day we are firstish home buyers, and our dream home is for when we have kid's, we dont want a budget blow out and not be able to get married.

I will keep this updated
Hi Mak,

What a dilema...

I like the henley Monaco Q1 with the seperate living area's but you really need to go with the one you like best & will suit your future needs but of course the budget is a big consideration also...

Can I ask why your site costs are so much? Do you have rock/ sloping block?
Massive dilema!

We loved the Darnley because it had to 2 open areas - courtyard to utilise our odd block and still an alfresco at the back.

but the Monaco doesn't have the alfresco - FH is a carpenter and we were going to use the courtyard on the Darnley as our entertaining area. The Monaco works out easier because it can just be purely decked not alfresco with an after handover extension.

Apparently our soil was a "H" class slab we need 2 retainers and from front to back our land slopes 1.2m...which personally I don't this is massive??
We had bad luck when it came to site costs. We were building in Doreen and our block had a 1.8 metre fall from the back to the front. Site costs from one company came in at an amazing $45K and Site costs from another came in at $42K. Both houses were approx 32 squares. Plus we were disappointed in both as they repositioned our house so it was in the centre of the block so we ended up with no entertaining area as that was supposed to go down the side. The agonizing thing was that we had to select colours etc and wait about 6 weeks till tender meetings to find out these charges.

We have since bought a flat block and are building with henley with minimal site costs. With all our trouble we have been delayed approx 6-8 months.

I think some companys offer fixed site costs maybe this is something to consider.

Good luck and I hope all goes well

We're building on a budget as well so main reason we went from Darnley to Monaco was fixed site costs and a lot of the costs were upfront. I think once you have been to both you will see a difference in the way they do things. Henley were more up front with their extras and costs.

Henley also mails out their contract several days before contract signing which is what we really wanted.

We love both layouts and can live with both for a long time.

T
e m Laurimer
I think some companys offer fixed site costs maybe this is something to consider.

PD had "fixed" site cost's in the promo we got - so we thought. It's only fixed for a fall of up to 500mm, that's why I was gobsmacked at the costings!! We had to pay for piers retainer walls and all upgrades for the extra 720mm imagine if the first 500mm wasnt included!!!

Where abouts in Laurimar? my first place back onto Hazel glen Drive (i rent it out now). I wanted to buy in there again, i miss it so much, but they didnt have any big blocks at the time we were looking - but as always as soon as u put deposits down they pop up everywhere. So we went for 2nd best..across plenty rd

investa
We're building on a budget as well so main reason we went from Darnley to Monaco was fixed site costs and a lot of the costs were upfront. I think once you have been to both you will see a difference in the way they do things. Henley were more up front with their extras and costs.

Henley also mails out their contract several days before contract signing which is what we really wanted.

We love both layouts and can live with both for a long time.

Im going down today to have a look - i am so nervous, such a big decision, but it;s quite obvious and having you choose the same houses with 2 different builders is re assuring
Not one person has said "don't do it"

I'm taking my PD tender documents with us to henley and basically say we are more then happy to stay with PD but what can you offer us to sign us up today? If they want or need the business im sure they might chuck in something to secure the deal?? surely?

You won't go wrong with either choices! Good luck on your decision.
Went to Henley yesterday. Loved the Monaco Q1!! I'll try keep it as short and sweet as i can

The sale consultant said we weren't the first to look elsewhere from PD because of the site cost's issue. He said a lot people don't look elsewhere by tender or even contract because it's easier for them to sign and proceed rather then look elsewhere. He was great.

We paid $800 to lock in the promo and price as there is a price rise as of 5:01pm today. He sited the house on the block and it actually works better then the Darnley29. We added a cavity and slider in the ensuite and going to add in another stacker door instead of the window in the family room…So we will have 2 stackers at the right angle (correct wording to describe?) so we have a big opening on the decking…eventually

He gave me a thick booklet of all alterations and additions with prices - alternate laundry, living areas, changing retreat to a 5th bedroom, adding in spas, storages, facade prices, electrical packages ALL WITH PRICES
so no surprises

I got the quote this morning and I was pretty excited
$10,400 under PD inc all floor coverings (as wasnt inc with Henley) but he said he can take it out an we can do it privately for cheaper (love the honesty and no pressure) so with out flooring all in all it's a saving of $20,000 (subject to change with flooring) He even gave me in the email the Cosham (PD is Hopturn) price list of all the upgrades and category's - Very impressive.

All in all we are very very happy with Henley

And after 11 months of putting down our deposit on the land look at what we have!!

Hi Mak

Thats great news... and a fantastic outcome - you must be over the moon....

Dont want to burst your bubble but you need to wait until they properly work out the earthworks and get the real cost. My fingers are crossed for you!!!

Lets hope its reasonable and you can put the PD stress behind you...

I look forward to good news
Hehe no bubble has been busted we are definitely waiting on proper costings and I told the consultant I am not canceling PD until we have the site costs. FH asked if it was worthwhile to cut the site ourselves privately. Fingers crossed we get a full quote this week so we can put the 2 side by side
thanks Alpal!
You didn't go with their fixed site quote? Our sales consultant saidnout was fixed 9.1k and any extras they will cover like rock removal, footings, retaining walls etc...
they didn't have a fixed site price?? was your a H&L package??
mak_
they didn't have a fixed site price?? was your a H&L package??

We had H&L with PD, ours was over 20k. We paid 10k. We needed pillars and what nots.
Your building not far from me
No, we have our own land. Its called a certainty package. They just package it like a H&L. They will give you a fixed price offer for your site cost based on the site you give them.. They can look it up on their computer for falls and dimensions then you can take the fixed price offer or do site costing later after site survey.
I am glad everything is starting to look up for you guys. I hope all the paperwork speeds along and you are happy with selections, prices etc.

It is so exciting when you finally have a slab down and things start rolling along.
Bam
Your building not far from me

For a November completion on the park, I can't see that they have started??

Bam
They will give you a fixed price offer for your site cost based on the site you give them.. They can look it up on their computer for falls and dimensions then you can take the fixed price offer or do site costing later after site survey.

I am still waiting on "the" email. Hopefully it's today - if not I have to post pone contract with PD just to give us more time to decide. I don't want to be rushing into anything
That's a great idea they fix it for you, i am actually a little excited

I just got a call from the Conveyancer, we are settling on the block tomorrow
I have to go the bank today in my lunch break to draw the cheque
yay for settlement tomorrow! I'll have to keep an eye out for your doggies
You'll spot me a mile away walking our 3
Two jack russells and one very energetic border collie pup
Mak,

Hi from another Henley thread, there are a couple of us building the Talise Q2 right now, which is interesting because there is no display home for this plan.

We had a similar experience with another builder and site costs and jumped to Henley and haven't looked back. Henley's site costs were all close to the mark, and once they got started (site scrape 1st june) there have been very few days without progress.

Good luck with your build!

Chatz
FINALLY AFTER 11 MONTHS SINCE THE FIRST DEPOSIT - WE HAVE SETTLED

chatz
Mak,

Hi from another Henley thread, there are a couple of us building the Talise Q2 right now, which is interesting because there is no display home for this plan.

We had a similar experience with another builder and site costs and jumped to Henley and haven't looked back. Henley's site costs were all close to the mark, and once they got started (site scrape 1st june) there have been very few days without progress.

Good luck with your build!

Chatz

My first build was a house not on display. It worked better then I thought. If you find a house VERY similar in size and layout you shouldn't have a problem

Thank you! Now we have the block I feel there is "some" progress.

I have postponed contract's with PD until the 17th...gives us some more time to make the right decision...what's a word (friday-itis) to describe - holding on just for the sake of not letting go...??

deep down we have made our decision.
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

5/12/2023
Concerns with my Tiler's job. With Pictures

Bathrooms and Laundry

Regardless of wall hung toilet or floor pan toilet your feet will be right on drain, seems to me the waste should not be in that location given the design. Also are you…

20/05/2023
Frame without roof for 2 months, mould and water pooling

Building A New House

This certainly doesn't look good. I would be engaging with an independent inspector to have a look at this. As for the unscheduled site visits, most builders are quite…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum