Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

A Strawbale House

Page 3 of 3
Ok, I understand about the render now
Ours just came out of a bucket (actually quite a few buckets) and of course, is not necessery inside.

It looks like your house will be interesting in more ways than one; love the leaf tile in particular
LOVE that river tile. Its really lovely. Where is it from?
Thanks Treeseachanger and kexkez. The tiles lady was very good at translating my fairly vague ideas into some really great tiles. The only one I knew I wanted when I walked into the store was the ensuite feature tile. I told her what sort of effect I wanted and she made some fabulous suggestions - then I had to choose between them! I haven't yet felt the need to second guess my choices in the tiles, so I think that is a good omen. All the tiles come from Beaumont Tiles in Fyshwick ACT - and the seat tile is Lifestyle Charcoal Rivers 200 x 300mm
Hi Variegated, anything happening on your build?
I'm back!
Sorry for the lack of communication over the last while. The three months leading up to Christmas are our very busy period at work - and yes, it gets worse the closer we get to Christmas. I spent some very long days in front of a computer, so turning mine on at home was not at all appealing.
I did receive some further documentation from the architect prior to Christmas so I had some time to think about it.
Here are the electrical and lighting plans with some of my thoughts about them. What I have missed or not yet considered?

Electrical plan:
- Would like some power points in downstairs bedroom, and one in the pantry - that'd be the place to leave the food dehydrator to do it's thing
- like an external power point on the short kitchen wall and one outside the laundry
- need two double pp with the data outlet in the studio (this will be the "sewing corner" so sewing machine, overlocker, iron and light will need power)
- need an extra power point opposite the stairs in the main bedroom - I don't want to be crawling under the bed to plug the vacuum in!
I'm not happy with the kitchen layout yet, so I haven't worried about those yet, although I do note that the fridge will need a PowerPoint too.

lighting plan:
- I'd like to have a switch for kitchen and/or living room close to the glass door as that is likely to be the way I will most frequently enter the house
- do I really need a ceiling fan in the laundry?
- are the external lights controlled by the switch in the laundry separate, or do I turn on both together?
- I'd like to move the pendant light in the studio closest to the stairs a little further into the middle of the room
- Where will the switch for the external light between the study and the bathroom be located?
Hi V, I'm finding your plans visually challenging
a bit faint on my screen- is there an exhaust fan in your ensuite?
A two way switch from laundry to external lights is very handy to have; but please clarify your question: are you wanting to turn on just one outside light at a time if you want ?
Related
2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

19/05/2023
Excessive piers for a house???

Building A New House

How good is Simeon?! Always taking time to help others out! Wish we were building in NSW and could work together. Thanks for all that you do!

30/06/2023
Looking for house plans improvement recommendations

General Discussion

Really tight at the top of the stairs- how to get furniture into those rooms? Study books - does anyone really use them these days? Large storage closet would be more functional.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum