Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Black Windows and Tiles - a few concerns!

Page 1 of 1
Hello All,
I was just after some advice on colors for tiles. We have gone with Austral Orpheus brick (already started) and I am tossing up between Woodland Grey windows and tiles with Surfmist Fascia - or Ebony Tiles with Black windows.
I am worried that the black will be too harsh inside the house, and that it will absorb the heat? Does anyone have experience with black tiles and windows?

thanks very much in advance!
Black absolutely will absorb the heat. Lighter colours will reflect.

The big problem also with black on your windows is that the aluminum frames are incredibly conductive. The heat that they collect will be promptly distributed straight into your home when you most want to keep it cool. Most builders won't touch thermally broken aluminum windows (where there is essentially a layer of insulation breaking the outside from the inside to stop heat or cold transfer), so another worthy option is to look at upvc or wood.

Likewise with roof colours. The heat builds up to insane levels within your ceiling space, and leaks into the house. If you really want dark colours, go nuts on roof insulation

Personally, I'd be looking at surfmist for as much as possible, or similarly light colours. Roof and windows.
Great tips somewoman, wish we had seen this before we did our colour selections.. we went with coal dust for the roof and black for aluminium window frames.. and ebony/black curtains hehe oops. sauna at our place, anyone?
I made that mistake with the first house I built. Never again
We have black roof tiles and black aluminum windows / sliding doors on 3/4 of the house. Across the front which is also north facing we have decrowood aluminum to mimic Western Red Cedar.

Can honestly say that this house is cooler then our previous homes with mid to light colored roofs and windows. We did however install insulation in every nook and cranny - but this had nothing to do with the color (would have done same no matter what collie we chose).
Related
14/08/2023
Concerns about strengh of Engineering Floor Joists

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks for all replies. I just noticed now the pictures I added to post right on top of page were wrong. I attached pictures showing "current" and my "suggested" floor…

5/12/2023
Concerns with my Tiler's job. With Pictures

Bathrooms and Laundry

Regardless of wall hung toilet or floor pan toilet your feet will be right on drain, seems to me the waste should not be in that location given the design. Also are you…

7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum