Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How do builders make so many mistakes?

Page 1 of 1
I see in pretty much every build the builder usually installs the wrong sink, fittings, tiles, colours, plumbing etc the list goes on.

How does whats in the contract get lost in translation to the tradeys/people ordering supplies?

It must cost the builders a fair bit of time and money with simple stuff ups of people not reading the contract.

Our build starts at the end of the year, really hoping not to be bargained with for them putting in the wrong items.
I guess most builders are busy and you are just a 'number' to them. It should not be an excuse, I know, but there ya go !

Choose a smaller builder, preferably one who is hands on and one that gives that special personalised service (there are still some out there hiding under rocks).
The big builders really have lost that personal touch. Once they have you signed on the dotted line the care factor starts to evaporate.

This is why I renovate. I have been in the trade in one form or another for 35 years (52 now). I have renovated completely 12 homes of my own and quite a few for other people, and I keep saying to myself it's the last one I do, next time I will get a builder to do it for me whilst I sit back and relax. Then I look at the problems others have, look at the lack of quality tradies around nowadays, the lack of personal attention, and think 'Bugger it!' I'll stick with reno's'.

I have bought numerous blocks over the years ready to build and shy away at the last minute and sell the land, reverting back to the old stuff. At least with a reno I know what I am doing and don't have to rely on builders.
Nothing incorrect was installed into our build?!? We got exactly what we paid for!
I think people forget that whether you're a trady, a waiter, a teacher, a cook, a register operator, a finance broker, an architect, a manager... Or whatever your daily job is, at the end of the day we're all still human, and humans make mistakes... I'm sure you've made a mistake a two in your lifetime... People are so quick to judge and fly off the deep end, what about giving people the benefit of the doubt or the chance to rectify a situation if it unfortunately does occur.
Yeah I haven't had any incorrect things go into my house. Only mistake I've had was the manhole was installed in the wrong room, because the plasterer had an outdated plan (Was a post start variation).

I've noticed that seems to be a big area where mistakes happen. Tradesmen not having the most up to date plan for whatever reasons
Yep plan changes are a big issue. And your contract with PCV is not provided to the tradie - instead they get a work order typed up by someone, based on the contract and PCV. That step is subject to human error. In my house they forgot the "cut into 1/3" from the feature tile specification when they made the work order, and the tiler did a 300mm wide feature strip around the whole bathroom instead of 100mm. They had to take it all down and re-do it.

And the frame was constructed with the kitchen window too high, as they hadn't considered the variation saying the kitchen bench needs to extend into the window reveal. They had to break the bricks away, lower the window and replace the bricks again.

So one issue was caused by outdated plans, another caused by translation error when making the work orders.

The best thing to do is to visit the house regularly and point things out problems early. And get photos if it's something that might be hidden later behind plaster. Even if you don't see anything wrong, take photos of EVERYTHING each time you go. If for no other reason than to know where the studs are when you move in.
sleven
Nothing incorrect was installed into our build?!? We got exactly what we paid for!

This is what I am hoping for! I just went through all the blogs posted on this forum (there were lots!) and everybody had a hiccup a long the way. with errors by the builder.
Obviously the builder rectifys the problems but I just couldnt understand how they let things like this happen. Maybe it doesnt happen that often but judging by the blogs posted on homeone
it happens all the time.

I just couldnt work out how they willingly lose so many dollars per home build when some form of procedure been in place would fix this.

Our house is been built around november by M. Just waiting on developer to finish the estate. I will be down there every day checking up on things!
Trewman
Our house is been built around november by M. Just waiting on developer to finish the estate. I will be down there every day checking up on things!

Be careful - the developer may try to spring settlement on you at Christmas. There's a story on the forum about what happens if they do this and you don't settle before the new year - they will hold you liable for the developer's land tax!

Make sure your conveyancer/solicitor and the bank are up to the task and can get settlement done on time.
btherl
Be careful - the developer may try to spring settlement on you at Christmas. There's a story on the forum about what happens if they do this and you don't settle before the new year - they will hold you liable for the developer's land tax!

This is because the developer's land tax is calculated based on their holdings at the rollover of the calendar year (which is why you often see January/February settlements brought forward to December). They will generally do whatever they can to not let it rollover to the next calendar year, so like you say if they advise that settlement is before the new year then make sure you settle before then.
Its a case of them and us, but its the same with any profession, if you want IT help you go to a IT consultant, if you need medical attention then you go to a Medical Professional....and believe me no one gets it 100% right all the time. Comprimise is the name of the game and stick to your ideas, most builders use the term "thats not how we do it" nothing agrevates me more. You will do it the way want because I am paying you. EASY!
I was lucky and all of the things I specified in my contract I received.

I can see however how easy it would be for a supplier to give the builders (especially if they deliver on site) the wrong thing given the amount of houses they churn out each week/month..
btherl
Trewman

Make sure your conveyancer/solicitor and the bank are up to the task and can get settlement done on time.

Origional settlement is september but due to rain it has been delayed. I spoke with the development manager and he has said that december settlement will be an extreme worst case scenario.
Our house prices are extended until the 3rd of december.

I definitly wont be paying there land tax. Thanks for the heads up I will mention/query this to the developer and our conveyencer.
We are having the same problem as btherl had, the kitchen servery window into the alfresco is to high, the window frame sits above the benchtop. Our building is trying to charge us a variation on something that should of been done correctly during the build.
We now have to wait for some detailed drawings of the original design as this was not in our original plans.
The problem is that our Pre start lady is on leave, and our supervisor is in Melbourne. We were hoping to sort this out over the weekend but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.
Hi Everyone,

If your build is progressing along, & the builder regularly has tradies on site, and you're wondering if the correct things will be installed & or done is your biggest problem, please spare a thought for those of us who are stuck with a builder that has given us a completion date & had no intention of sticking to it. A builder who gives excuses such as not being able to find tradies as a reason for not doing any work. Imagine paying months of mortgage repayments for a house that has only a slab & frame , & no real end in site. There are those of us who don't sleep at night wondering when this building nightmare will end. How do I know this? it's because I'm one of those people who don't know when their house will be finished & wish that the only thing they have to worry about is having the correct things installed.
springtime
Hi Everyone,

If your build is progressing along, & the builder regularly has tradies on site, and you're wondering if the correct things will be installed & or done is your biggest problem, please spare a thought for those of us who are stuck with a builder that has given us a completion date & had no intention of sticking to it. A builder who gives excuses such as not being able to find tradies as a reason for not doing any work. Imagine paying months of mortgage repayments for a house that has only a slab & frame , & no real end in site. There are those of us who don't sleep at night wondering when this building nightmare will end. How do I know this? it's because I'm one of those people who don't know when their house will be finished & wish that the only thing they have to worry about is having the correct things installed.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with getting your house built. Do you have liquidated damages in your contract?
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

14/12/2023
How many builders are on this forum?

General Discussion

They already have two well known ones (HIA & MBA) that many new home buyers mistakenly think are regulatory bodies that Joe Public can complain to.

9/08/2023
Will we make it in for Christmas?

Building A New House

Not sure who you're building with, but I moved in recently to a 11month scheduled, 8 month actual build on the South coast/Illawarra NSW

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum