Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 459 of 862
Sambogirl81
Oops sorry I forgot the feature tile in the entrance way it is a porcelain polished groved stratos in the colour of wet cement

what was the colour of your grout? and did they grout the grooves?
what was the colour of your grout? and did they grout the grooves?[/quote]

I actually couldn't tell you the colour if the grout. What's in our contract is incorrect. It was only lucky that the fantastic tiler picked it up. And yes we got them to grout the whole tile so it looks like a mosaic. I was very specific that I wanted them all lined up perfectly and I'm pretty impressed with the outcome. Are you using the same tile?
PCI is set for the 7th of March! Wahoo!
We were hoping it might be a week earlier but there was a bit of a hold up with the shower screens. We are trying to get it a few days earlier - fingers crossed.

We don't anticipate many issues in our PCI so handover should be on the 14th they say. Some issues are obvious plastering fix ups from when downlights were installed, the electricians were really rough and there are a few other holes to be patched up from when they were installing one or two of the power switches - hoping they do them before PCI so we can say if we are happy with them then. We haven't seen too many other concerns when we've been there. Our SS has been on top of things and has sorted things out before we've even noticed them.

BTW - How long does PCI usually take?
Best of luck for the others approaching PCIs in the next few weeks! Exciting times ahead!
Best of luck inglewood im sharing your excitement
Sambogirl81

I actually couldn't tell you the colour if the grout. What's in our contract is incorrect. It was only lucky that the fantastic tiler picked it up. And yes we got them to grout the whole tile so it looks like a mosaic. I was very specific that I wanted them all lined up perfectly and I'm pretty impressed with the outcome. Are you using the same tile?[/quote]

yeah i'm using the exact same tile for the entire wall of a kitchen, i'm concerned about the alignment but i guess you need to have faith that the tiler knows what they are doing. i think our grout is a dark grout, ideally i didnt want the grooves grouted, i like those deep cuts but they have to be done since not sealed
all the best inglewood, your blogs helped me heaps in knowing what to look for
inglewood
We were hoping it might be a week earlier but there was a bit of a hold up with the shower screens. We are trying to get it a few days earlier - fingers crossed.

We don't anticipate many issues in our PCI so handover should be on the 14th they say. Some issues are obvious plastering fix ups from when downlights were installed, the electricians were really rough and there are a few other holes to be patched up from when they were installing one or two of the power switches - hoping they do them before PCI so we can say if we are happy with them then. We haven't seen too many other concerns when we've been there. Our SS has been on top of things and has sorted things out before we've even noticed them.

Congratulations!!

Last house PCI took about two and 1/2 hours. (Major geek alert). I did a spreadsheet room by room listing power points, light switches, data points, foxtel points, taps types, floor type, etc as we moved into each room I ticked it all off. We had a night light that we put into every power point to test that it worked (two didn't) Switching lights off and on, Ixltastic fans, light and heat (one heat lamp did not work) taps off and on, check the basins drain, toilets flushed, grout around edges of tiles to walls, checked laminate doors and cupboards for scratches, bench tops for scratches and chips, tested drawer handles, range hood venting, open and shut doors, make sure they close and open smoothly, that you have privacy locks where they are supposed to be, runners for sliding doors, door stops, mirrors, fly screens, sharp pieces of tile where they have cut tiles in the shower or bath etc. also made a list for the garage and outside too.

Yes, I am a geek. We found at the side of the bathroom vanity a big scratch which we would not have seen until we got in the bath, some door stops missing, a fan that did not work, a couple of cupboard doors that did not line up properly when closed, a couple of chipped and cracked bricks, a sliding door that did not go back all the way into the cavity, millions of red dots for paint touch ups, some bad joins in the gutters. Just lots of little things. That's what PCI is for.

I then had a list of everything that was to be fixed so it was easy to walk through at hand over and see that everything had been done.

It's easy in the excitement and impatience of needing / wanting to be in to miss things, but you will be paying for your house for quite a few years, so you need to be dispassionate about it. Remember you are being asked to pay probably between $300-$500k for this house, if it was a car would you accept it with scratches and dings?

Hope that this helps.
Back Pocket
inglewood

Congratulations!!

Last house PCI took about two and 1/2 hours. (Major geek alert). I did a spreadsheet room by room listing power points, light switches, data points, foxtel points, taps types, floor type, etc as we moved into each room I ticked it all off. We had a night light that we put into every power point to test that it worked (two didn't) Switching lights off and on, Ixltastic fans, light and heat (one heat lamp did not work) taps off and on, check the basins drain, toilets flushed, grout around edges of tiles to walls, checked laminate doors and cupboards for scratches, bench tops for scratches and chips, tested drawer handles, range hood venting, open and shut doors, make sure they close and open smoothly, that you have privacy locks where they are supposed to be, runners for sliding doors, door stops, mirrors, fly screens, sharp pieces of tile where they have cut tiles in the shower or bath etc. also made a list for the garage and outside too.

Yes, I am a geek. We found at the side of the bathroom vanity a big scratch which we would not have seen until we got in the bath, some door stops missing, a fan that did not work, a couple of cupboard doors that did not line up properly when closed, a couple of chipped and cracked bricks, a sliding door that did not go back all the way into the cavity, millions of red dots for paint touch ups, some bad joins in the gutters. Just lots of little things. That's what PCI is for.

I then had a list of everything that was to be fixed so it was easy to walk through at hand over and see that everything had been done.

It's easy in the excitement and impatience of needing / wanting to be in to miss things, but you will be paying for your house for quite a few years, so you need to be dispassionate about it. Remember you are being asked to pay probably between $300-$500k for this house, if it was a car would you accept it with scratches and dings?

Hope that this helps.

Thanks Back Pocket - that's a big, huge help. Might make up a spreadsheet too with the things you mentioned above. I didn't think to check the taps and power points.
ondrej09
Sambogirl81

I actually couldn't tell you the colour if the grout. What's in our contract is incorrect. It was only lucky that the fantastic tiler picked it up. And yes we got them to grout the whole tile so it looks like a mosaic. I was very specific that I wanted them all lined up perfectly and I'm pretty impressed with the outcome. Are you using the same tile?

Quote:
yeah i'm using the exact same tile for the entire wall of a kitchen, i'm concerned about the alignment but i guess you need to have faith that the tiler knows what they are doing. i think our grout is a dark grout, ideally i didnt want the grooves grouted, i like those deep cuts but they have to be done since not sealed

I'm using (almost!) the same tile for the splashbacks in the bathroom and ensuite - except we got the tile with the vertical grooves as well. Initially I was worried that they would be too dark. But they look lovely on your wall, Sambogirl so I am happy with the choice we made!!
Just popping my head in here again.
Our land is due to title in the first week of March with settlement 10 business days after. 15 months of waiting and we are so close!!!!

Have let our BC know but I think we might have a May site start date? Probably won't squeeze into April. Fingers crossed anyway.
Hey everyone... can anyone reveal the options for light switches and power plugs? The people from electrical (via email) told me that we can choose Saturn, Slimline or Eclipse range options.

Is this accurate?
Sambogirl, your house looks amazing! fantastic choice of colours! Good luck with PCI

Inglewood - good luck with PCI also! Hope it all goes well

BP - you must be getting close? Hope all is going well..

Claire - how is your place coming along? Hopefully in the right direction!

We have our independent inspector on Tuesday and our PCI on Friday. I am expecting a list 20 pages long but slow and steady wins the race - or so they say!! I suspect everything will be finished by the 23rd March because that is when PD will start paying me. Cant see that happening!!

Hope everyone else is plodding along nicely!
ajd78
Sambogirl, your house looks amazing! fantastic choice of colours! Good luck with PCI

Inglewood - good luck with PCI also! Hope it all goes well

BP - you must be getting close? Hope all is going well..

Claire - how is your place coming along? Hopefully in the right direction!

We have our independent inspector on Tuesday and our PCI on Friday. I am expecting a list 20 pages long but slow and steady wins the race - or so they say!! I suspect everything will be finished by the 23rd March because that is when PD will start paying me. Cant see that happening!!

Hope everyone else is plodding along nicely!

Hi ajd, good luck for PCI!

At least if you have 20 pages there will be an end in sight. We are getting close but getting frustrated with all the little fiddle things at the end, probably like everyone else. It makes me so mad that each trade does not care about other trades work, so work has to be redone. Honestly, if all the trades turned up there would be a weeks work max, but it does not happen that way, I am sure it is driving my SS crazy. He thinks trades have been back and they haven't, so other trades can't finish.

Enough of my dramas, I am sure that once we can all sit on the alfresco with a wine or sixteen, the drama will be a distant memory. I can't wait to turn the house into a home and I am sure that most people building feel the same way, PD build the house, we build the home.

Will be sending positive thoughts for you next Friday!
Thanks BP - Im not sure it will be happening - oh well.. Who knows... Our SS is away and BC is out for the day..

And I will have to join you for the 16 glasses of wine!! Sounds likes fun lol....

Helen, I have tried to send you two private messages - are you able to tell me if you have received them? They are both sitting in Outbox and I have no idea how to get them to sent!

Thanks
AD
ondrej09
Serenity_Now
ondrej09
Are u installing yourself or electrician to do?

Electrician - but I'm getting them to install plug bases for all the downlights that they're either installing or moving for me. That way in the future, if I ever need to change the downlights I won't need to call them back.

have you asked if PD can do the plug base versions instead to save time?

I asked electricals the same question and they only have the one hard wired option. Couldn't even pay more to get the GPO plugged ones which is really insane to me. It's a lose lose. They lose the opportunity to make more money with the upgrade and we lose by getting crapping LEDs and having to redo them later.

It's all outsourced anyway.. you'd think who'ever they outsource the electricals to would know how to install the LEDs with the individual GPO plugs! [/end rant]
Hey sliick... was just reading your blog and noticed that you had an Insinkerator added. Which model and how much did it cost?
Quote:
Electrician - but I'm getting them to install plug bases for all the downlights that they're either installing or moving for me. That way in the future, if I ever need to change the downlights I won't need to call them back.

Quote:
have you asked if PD can do the plug base versions instead to save time?

Quote:
I asked electricals the same question and they only have the one hard wired option. Couldn't even pay more to get the GPO plugged ones which is really insane to me. It's a lose lose. They lose the opportunity to make more money with the upgrade and we lose by getting crapping LEDs and having to redo them later. It's all outsourced anyway.. you'd think who'ever they outsource the electricals to would know how to install the LEDs with the individual GPO plugs! [/end rant]

This is probably my most disappointing thing with PD...
tlblhayward
Hey sliick... was just reading your blog and noticed that you had an Insinkerator added. Which model and how much did it cost?

This is the model we got quoted: http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/insi ... sposer-65/

Costs $1491 which seems pricey so we might decide to do this post handover
ajd78
Thanks BP - Im not sure it will be happening - oh well.. Who knows... Our SS is away and BC is out for the day..

And I will have to join you for the 16 glasses of wine!! Sounds likes fun lol....

Helen, I have tried to send you two private messages - are you able to tell me if you have received them? They are both sitting in Outbox and I have no idea how to get them to sent!

Thanks
AD

Hi ajd78

I'm not sure what happened - I only received one of them last night! The Regional Building Manager has been made aware of your issue and someone will be in touch ASAP.

Cheers, Helen
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum