Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 446 of 862
Back Pocket
Our PCV's are all being taken off the last payment too. So all our payments have been as per the contract amounts.

Same here
Well that's what happened last time, but I think the reason why the bank has a problem this time is there is one PCV for a $17,000 discount, and the last stage payment is only $22k so they want to confirm the final total and all the progress payments.
It's frustrating cos the bank is being a pain, which means I have to be a pain to get then what they want! I've already been annoying so far so I feel bad lumping more work on PD
Country Lifestyle
Back Pocket
Our PCV's are all being taken off the last payment too. So all our payments have been as per the contract amounts.

Same here

Hey country lifestyle, any movement at your place? Good thing to check all upgrades as it happens and the way the windows / doors slide. Our laundry door was put in sliding right to left instead of left to right. Most things picked up early are easy to fix. Looking forward to seeing your bricks.
Back Pocket
Country Lifestyle
Back Pocket

Same here

Hey country lifestyle, any movement at your place? Good thing to check all upgrades as it happens and the way the windows / doors slide. Our laundry door was put in sliding right to left instead of left to right. Most things picked up early are easy to fix. Looking forward to seeing your bricks.

Hey BP
Not a lot has happened since the Holiday Break for me, apparently my Solar Panels were fitted and I am hoping the door is replaced this week, as the Bricklayers are due to arrive on Wednesday, my BC Goddess says they should be finished by the 31st. We have all this stinking hot 40c weather incoming all this week, so I am not expecting miracles to happen. I will nip up to Kilmore at some ungodly early hour (to beat the heat) next Saturday to check on progress again.
I really need some help please.. I am sitting here making myself ill worrying if I have done the right thing or not. I thought I would be clever and have evaporative air con installed during my build with PD. I am building the Montague21 but with my extensions it is now almost 25sq.

With this terrible hot weather we are now experiencing in Melbourne, I am really doubting that the evaporative cooler size that PD recommended will be sufficient size wise for my home. They quoted me $5k for a Brivis Promina P44 with a manual wall control.

If any of you have any knowledge about the size of the unit I would need to keep my home cool I would be very appreciative of your input.

Thank You
just wondering, does anyone know if the portico and alfresco is tilled or comes bare when purchased?
Country Lifestyle
I really need some help please.. I am sitting here making myself ill worrying if I have done the right thing or not. I thought I would be clever and have evaporative air con installed during my build with PD. I am building the Montague21 but with my extensions it is now almost 25sq.

With this terrible hot weather we are now experiencing in Melbourne, I am really doubting that the evaporative cooler size that PD recommended will be sufficient size wise for my home. They quoted me $5k for a Brivis Promina P44 with a manual wall control.

If any of you have any knowledge about the size of the unit I would need to keep my home cool I would be very appreciative of your input.

Thank You

Hi Country Lifestyle,

Just like to preface this with a note that I am by no means an expert on this matter, this is purely from my own research only

From my understanding, evaporative coolers should be measured by their "air changes per hour" and not by the kW of the unit. The air changes per hour can be calculated based on the airflow (m3/hour) and then the volume of your home (would usually exclude some areas such as wet areas etc). The industry standard for evaporative air coolers is ~30 air changes per hour, that seems to be minimum that most people apply.

In your case, the hard part seems to be sourcing the airflow of your unit.....I can find references to a Brivis L43 (11 kW, 7834 m3/hour airflow). So let's assume that your unit is more powerful and puts out ~9000 m3/hour. Based on your house, let's assume your living area (exclude wet areas, pantry etc) is 120m2 and you have 2.4m height ceilings.

Therefore 9000 / (120 * 2.4) = ~31 air changes per hour which would be considered standard.

Bear in mind as well that evaporative air coolers won't be as cold as an aircond, on a 43 degree day it may still be quite warm inside the house!
ondrej09
just wondering, does anyone know if the portico and alfresco is tilled or comes bare when purchased?

No, they aren't tiled, just concrete. Unless you have it as a special add on in some sort of landscaping option.
Country Lifestyle

Thank You

I wouldn't worry about it, should be sufficient for general use on mild warm days. Plus evap wont really do much is a heat wave we will experience this week.

Fans will do wonders.
Hi all,

What's the go with specifying your own kitchen appliances as part of the design? Our sales guy indicates that we can only specify Blanco and no other brands.

The alternative seems to be to specify "no appliances", get a credit back and we will get a capped gas point and an electrical connection where the future appliances will go - this will also allow for the Certificate of Occupancy to be issued.

Has anyone any experience with successfully getting PD to install other brands of appliances? How good are their tradies on providing accurate cutouts in benchtops and cabinets for post-handover installations?

Or are people who are currently building just accepting Blanco appliances?

Any responses appreciated.

Albert
I don't think PD allows appliances upgrades (at least for lifestyle range).

But always worth asking a sales or admin person. Some home1 members were able to do unusual stuff just by asking.
jnasebastian
Hi all,

What's the go with specifying your own kitchen appliances as part of the design? Our sales guy indicates that we can only specify Blanco and no other brands.

The alternative seems to be to specify "no appliances", get a credit back and we will get a capped gas point and an electrical connection where the future appliances will go - this will also allow for the Certificate of Occupancy to be issued.

Has anyone any experience with successfully getting PD to install other brands of appliances? How good are their tradies on providing accurate cutouts in benchtops and cabinets for post-handover installations?

Or are people who are currently building just accepting Blanco appliances?

Any responses appreciated.

Albert

We had PD credit back the oven and we have specified the size required to be left open for our own choice to be installed after handover. I would never have blanco in the house. We know the range we want and got the specs and advised PD of the size and electrical requirements. I would not get any builder to do this as they get special deals on the appliances they provide and will not get the same sort of discounts on what you want. They are spend time sourcing it etc and then they put their margin on top.

In the same way, we want a fairly detailed kitchen. PD are putting in cupboards everywhere. We are getting these carcasses changed over to drawers and other things added after handover. Same with robes, PD are putting in basic and we will change after handover when we are ready.
Hey everyone happy new building year!!

Does everyone have things happening on site after Chrissy closure? We were told tiles would be delivered and started on the 13th, no waterproofing has even been started. Anxious to get the work moving again. On a positive note with all this hot weather our new house has stayed nice and cool, that's due to the hebel construction I think.
So excited! Our cabinets are in!!!

We didn't think any work would happen this week due to the heat - but we got the fixing invoice today so went and had a look. Very excited! Can't wait to see them up close! Wish we could see the bathroom and ensuite cupboards but that'll have to wait till we can go inside.
looks great ingle wood, i cant wait for our build to start

has anyone used the hawksburn bricks, if so do they look good, when done to a whole house?

also a kitchen question, black or white shadow line?
inglewood

We didn't think any work would happen this week due to the heat - but we got the fixing invoice today so went and had a look. Very excited! Can't wait to see them up close! Wish we could see the bathroom and ensuite cupboards but that'll have to wait till we can go inside.

They look beautiful Ingle
inglewood

Looking good Inglewood, love a white kitchen!

So frustrating piering in through windows ( dirty and covered in plastic too) once it is really locked up!

We could see our tiles were delivered today

I feel so sorry for the guys working on the steel frame house at the end of our court. At 43 degrees, the steel must radiate heat and they were putting a Colourbond roof on it today
Poor buggers, the block does not even have a tap so they have been coming down and filling their water bottles at ours.
Looking great Inglewood, exciting stuff. Time should start to go quickly now.
Cabinets Looks great Inglewood
Back Pocket
We had PD credit back the oven and we have specified the size required to be left open for our own choice to be installed after handover. I would never have blanco in the house. We know the range we want and got the specs and advised PD of the size and electrical requirements. I would not get any builder to do this as they get special deals on the appliances they provide and will not get the same sort of discounts on what you want. They are spend time sourcing it etc and then they put their margin on top.

We also opted to install our own appliances post handover but we didn't receive a credit for the supplied Blanco appliances. When we asked about the credit we were told that it would only be ~$100+ ! And this was for a rangehood, oven + cooktop and dishwasher! So we decided, if that was the case, we would ask for the appliances to be supplied but not installed and we'll try our hand at selling them on eBay/Gumtree etc. Surely we'd get more than $100+ for the lot!

I would advise though that if you are thinking of supplying your own appliances that you are very certain about which model you want as this would impact the benchtop cutout for the cooktop, the cupboard cutout for the oven, if you are having a glass splashback behind the rangehood then it would impact where the rangehood mounting holes need to be drilled etc.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum