Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 417 of 862
meowsy
You should be able to claim $250 per week, but unfortunately as you are close to Xmas with original completion date and now it is after xmas I imagine they will definitely be able to take 4 weeks off the total they are over...are they.well behind where you expected them to be at this point?

You are right, here builder will play Christmas card to avoid any compensation.
skye02
Their reasons are weather (of course) and the fact that we asked for a three week slab cure time (which was allowed for in the contract). Then they close down four weeks over Xmas but at the end of the day they are still late because weather and our cure time was accounted for!

That's a bummer, hope it will be all sorted soonish for you.

may I know reason behind 3 weeks slab curing time?
clairemumto5
SS said late feb for pci - he is away for 4 weeks over chrissy.

Lock up this week though.

And some awful awful teens have puked upstairs, and knocked a noggin out - lucky in a way the vandalism wasn't worse but still gross none the less and I think I will have to clean it as SS said they don't really have provision for such occurances and I can't say I blame him - I don't much want to deal with it either and I doubt any tradie will clean it up.

You have got to be kidding me, they're making you clean up after vandals?!? I've seen some bad things throughout my build and read plenty of terrible stories but this one takes the cake.

They don't have provision for vandals? Rubbish. House construction sites are broken into (if you can call it that, since there isn't any need to break anything early on) daily. Some builders use security cameras, PD does not, but all take precautions and deal with the hassle. It's part of the job.

If I had been forced to clean puke off my half complete house by a lazy SS I think I would have immediately insisted on a new SS.

BTW, PD employ professional cleaners. Sure, they mostly deal with cleaning the house before handover, and they did a lousy job on my place, but no way can anybody claim PD doesn't have any provision for cleaning.

HD
mirz
skye02
Their reasons are weather (of course) and the fact that we asked for a three week slab cure time (which was allowed for in the contract). Then they close down four weeks over Xmas but at the end of the day they are still late because weather and our cure time was accounted for!

That's a bummer, hope it will be all sorted soonish for you.

may I know reason behind 3 weeks slab curing time?

I figure the slab is your base and i dont like the idea of them building on it a few days after the pour.
Lurgen
clairemumto5
SS said late feb for pci - he is away for 4 weeks over chrissy.

Lock up this week though.

And some awful awful teens have puked upstairs, and knocked a noggin out - lucky in a way the vandalism wasn't worse but still gross none the less and I think I will have to clean it as SS said they don't really have provision for such occurances and I can't say I blame him - I don't much want to deal with it either and I doubt any tradie will clean it up.

You have got to be kidding me, they're making you clean up after vandals?!? I've seen some bad things throughout my build and read plenty of terrible stories but this one takes the cake.

They don't have provision for vandals? Rubbish. House construction sites are broken into (if you can call it that, since there isn't any need to break anything early on) daily. Some builders use security cameras, PD does not, but all take precautions and deal with the hassle. It's part of the job.

If I had been forced to clean puke off my half complete house by a lazy SS I think I would have immediately insisted on a new SS.

BTW, PD employ professional cleaners. Sure, they mostly deal with cleaning the house before handover, and they did a lousy job on my place, but no way can anybody claim PD doesn't have any provision for cleaning.

HD

PD have security cameras at my build. The SS said because it was isolated. We are the first house building in the estate.
Claire I would have personally gone off and then sent them a bill for my time and tell them I am deducting it from the next payment. This is a dreadful way to treat your customers. Helen , please take note and pass on disgust at this attitude from everyone who is reading this forum.
They do have provisions for vandals I guess - but even I think that's out of the normal bounds of vandalism...I'm too busy to bother figthing about something like that and am just angry at whatever lout did it not the SS, and I slept better knowing it wasn't seeping into my floors that yes will be covered one day but I would still prefer it not to be under.
I've moved on and hopefully after lockup it will deter them from trying.
clairemumto5
They do have provisions for vandals I guess - but even I think that's out of the normal bounds of vandalism...I'm too busy to bother figthing about something like that and am just angry at whatever lout did it not the SS, and I slept better knowing it wasn't seeping into my floors that yes will be covered one day but I would still prefer it not to be under.

I am glad you've moved on and fair enough because you know that it has been cleaned properly, but frankly in my opinion your SS's attitude sucks.
Back Pocket
skye02
I am just about ready to cry.
12 December completion date has now been blown out to a February completion date.
I am beyond disappointed.
Has anyone here dealt with trying to claim "damages for late completion" in the Contract. I have a feeling i will have a fight on my hands.

Skye02, shattered for you.

I believe that it just "comes off" your final payment, rather than PD giving you any money. Have they given you any reasons for this or why the hold up? I know that there is almost a month over christmas where nothing happens, but this is just amazing. Has your BC got any answers?

For me the penalties did not come off my final payment. It was a separate process calculated once handover was completed. It can take a few weeks for them to get the cheque ready as well but there is no issue with them paying it.

I wouldn't think that they would try to include those weather "days off" or "slab cure time" in the increased time either (sounds like SS or tradie babble to me). I also don't think they can include the christmas thing if it is outside the original contract date (i.e. if your contract last day was before the christmas break then they can't include it in the contract time or claim penalty break time for it). They are pretty good (they were in my case) of not penny pinching days as I assume them going over contract is not something they want to squabble with you about.

The only issue for me was the lousy $250 a week which is a bit of a joke considering the melbourne rent market. Rent was over $500 + paying for an almost completed house (90% of the total cost at that stage) so the real cost was more like $1000+ per week. In hindsight, i should of negotiated for more per week if it went over (only to cover my actual living costs and not for any "penalty" for being late). That would of at least given them some "incentive" to finish on time where as $250 is hardly an incentive. Who ever thinks their build time will go over when they sign the contract...

Best thing to do is speak to your BC about it and not listen to anyone else (SS, tradies, or joe blows) as they don't have the power to make the call anyway.
Zinner
Back Pocket
skye02
I am just about ready to cry.
12 December completion date has now been blown out to a February completion date.
I am beyond disappointed.
Has anyone here dealt with trying to claim "damages for late completion" in the Contract. I have a feeling i will have a fight on my hands.

Skye02, shattered for you.

I believe that it just "comes off" your final payment, rather than PD giving you any money. Have they given you any reasons for this or why the hold up? I know that there is almost a month over christmas where nothing happens, but this is just amazing. Has your BC got any answers?

For me the penalties did not come off my final payment. It was a separate process calculated once handover was completed. It can take a few weeks for them to get the cheque ready as well but there is no issue with them paying it.

I wouldn't think that they would try to include those weather "days off" or "slab cure time" in the increased time either (sounds like SS or tradie babble to me). I also don't think they can include the christmas thing if it is outside the original contract date (i.e. if your contract last day was before the christmas break then they can't include it in the contract time or claim penalty break time for it). They are pretty good (they were in my case) of not penny pinching days as I assume them going over contract is not something they want to squabble with you about.

The only issue for me was the lousy $250 a week which is a bit of a joke considering the melbourne rent market. Rent was over $500 + paying for an almost completed house (90% of the total cost at that stage) so the real cost was more like $1000+ per week. In hindsight, i should of negotiated for more per week if it went over (only to cover my actual living costs and not for any "penalty" for being late). That would of at least given them some "incentive" to finish on time where as $250 is hardly an incentive. Who ever thinks their build time will go over when they sign the contract...

Best thing to do is speak to your BC about it and not listen to anyone else (SS, tradies, or joe blows) as they don't have the power to make the call anyway.

Thanks Zinner! I totally agree with the measly $250 a week.
I have emailed by BC and i am yet to get a response. She is usually pretty good so i will see what she comes back with.
We had Plantation Homes (Henley). Came in just before time and under cost. Talk about surprise !

They say it can be the supervisor you have and his team - so we may have just been lucky. But it was a welcome relief to find out the "extras" involved favoured us.
Does anyone have details on how much water was used during their build? From what I understand, we are liable to pay for the water whilst PD will pay for the electricity during the build. Just wanted to check what would be considered 'reasonable' usage of water.
clairemumto5

Hi clairmumto5,
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.
Just to let you know this matter has been raised with the building manager. Someone will be in touch with you ASAP.
Regards, Helen
Hi Skye02,
PD need to have submitted you a variation to sign for the amount of days delayed by you for this to be added onto the build time. If yoiu did not receive the variation for this time they can not go past contact date without you being compensated.
Corz11
Hi Skye02,
PD need to have submitted you a variation to sign for the amount of days delayed by you for this to be added onto the build time. If yoiu did not receive the variation for this time they can not go past contact date without you being compensated.

Hi Corz11,
I do have a signed variation in relation to the agreed slab cure time and it states it is included in the build time.
Just thought I would defend my SS - he is actually a top bloke and is doing a great job - we had a great chat on the day it happened, so we were both on the same page my annoyance was with the young louts - which is not his fault anyway...
Helen

Since the new SS took over its been one thing or the other has been going wrong. For everything his response has been its as per plan or that’s how it’s done in displays.
When it came to our kitchen feature wall and Galley splashback tiling which were suppose to have tiles like the Hoffman aspire display i.e. tiles around the window frame without architraves. We have specifically requested this during out tile appointment and allowed for additional tiles in the tile plan. During our site visits several time we mentioned this to SS and he confirmed that tiling will be done as per display. When we noticed that the architraves were fixed around these 2 windows before tiler started work and we reminded SS again and he mentioned architraves will be removed before tiling. To avoid any confusion, we have even emailed the photos of the display and mentioned this to the tiler when we met the tiler as per his request to clarify some tile selections. The Tiler has also said that architraves will be removed before tiling.

Today we drove past the house and to our surprise and horror the kitchen feature wall has been tilled with the architraves attached and the same issue with the galley splashback.

Called our SS immediately, he casually said that he is aware of it and cant remove the architrave because window would come off or some nonsense and he was going to emails us. We didn’t receive any email and he was not even bothered to discuss with us even after we have emphasised this several times and he has confirmed that it will be done as per the PD display.

If we want something done in a way, paid for it and mentioned in the tile appointment specially as per display, he should call us before deciding its fine to keep it with the architrave.

If PD cant do features as per display why are they offered. Disappointed frustrated and annoyed. Its something we will not be giving into.

If it was our first SS I'm sure this wouldn't have happened and he would be top of all of the issues and our concerns. Despite all our efforts to avoid mistakes like these he hasn't taken an effort to do his job.

P.S

Anyone building pls make sure if you find a mistake make sure it's changed immediately even if it doesn’t affect the Progress of the work. And can be done later on. They will try to take the easy way out.
tinker
Helen

Since the new SS took over its been one thing or the other has been going wrong. For everything his response has been its as per plan or that’s how it’s done in displays.
When it came to our kitchen feature wall and Galley splashback tiling which were suppose to have tiles like the Hoffman aspire display i.e. tiles around the window frame without architraves. We have specifically requested this during out tile appointment and allowed for additional tiles in the tile plan. During our site visits several time we mentioned this to SS and he confirmed that tiling will be done as per display. When we noticed that the architraves were fixed around these 2 windows before tiler started work and we reminded SS again and he mentioned architraves will be removed before tiling. To avoid any confusion, we have even emailed the photos of the display and mentioned this to the tiler when we met the tiler as per his request to clarify some tile selections. The Tiler has also said that architraves will be removed before tiling.

Today we drove past the house and to our surprise and horror the kitchen feature wall has been tilled with the architraves attached and the same issue with the galley splashback.

Called our SS immediately, he casually said that he is aware of it and cant remove the architrave because window would come off or some nonsense and he was going to emails us. We didn’t receive any email and he was not even bothered to discuss with us even after we have emphasised this several times and he has confirmed that it will be done as per the PD display.

If we want something done in a way, paid for it and mentioned in the tile appointment specially as per display, he should call us before deciding its fine to keep it with the architrave.

If PD cant do features as per display why are they offered. Disappointed frustrated and annoyed. Its something we will not be giving into.

If it was our first SS I'm sure this wouldn't have happened and he would be top of all of the issues and our concerns. Despite all our efforts to avoid mistakes like these he hasn't taken an effort to do his job.

P.S

Anyone building pls make sure if you find a mistake make sure it's changed immediately even if it doesn’t affect the Progress of the work. And can be done later on. They will try to take the easy way out.

Hi Tinker,

The issues you have raised above have been noted and escalated to the building manager. Someone will be in touch with you ASAP.

Cheers, Helen
Hi everyone, just create an account in homeone today... I am also building with PD of the Montague 21. Have signed all the contracts but just waiting the land settle, waiting is a long long time..... Anyone building the Montague 21 as well?? Any blog to share? Cheers.
Hi Charlene - I do believe someone has newly moved into their Montague 21 - if you look in the build blog thread you should fine it under porter davis... or if you go back a fair few pages you may find it maybe 10 or so...
tinker
Helen

P.S

We will be checking this too Tinker, we asked for the same thing! and paid extra as I am sure you did for the tiles to go into the window in the kitchen. Things have slowed down at our place. Bricking seems to take forever.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum