Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 415 of 862
Lurgen
Multi-post response...

Back Pocket, with your vacuum points, check to make sure they're using the right plans, and that the plans don't have massive "dots" where the points should be. If they do, then they might just be following (incorrect) instructions. Putting a vacuum point in can require a bit of adjustment to suit the frame, but putting it into a different room isn't acceptable. As for how they fix it now plaster is up, not your problem.

Personally I don't like ducted vacuums. I had it in my last house and while it never broke down it seemed less effective than my Roomba.

Thanks Lurgen, in a previous house we ended up with vaccuum upstairs and another one downstairs so went with the ducted. In reality there were only one set of ducting plans, I never sighted or signed any others. I am chasing my BC over this at the moment. Our SS is on holidays for two weeks and we will be requesting a meeting when he gets back to go through quite a few things.

So glad to hear that things are getting sorted and you are happy in your new home!
Mirz - we didn't opt for any cooling unit in our double - we had evap installed in our old place and I hated it - works great for a dry heat like perth but we found melbs too muggy and everything would seem sticky on a hot day and we didn't have the $ for ducted refidgerated so we will be installing split systems - probably 3 in total, but we can do 1 at a time starting with a really big one upstairs.
Lurgen

Wateman, you'll probably find the upgrade costs are largely unavoidable but probably worth it in the long run. Glass splashback is what we went with, but I'm finding it hard to keep clean. Maybe I need better cleaning products?

The best way I have found to clean the glass splashback is to use any multi purpose cleaning spray and then use paper towel with "Simple Green" glass cleaner available at Bunnings. I have tried every glass cleaner there is but this is the only one that actually works without streaking!
clairemumto5
Mirz - we didn't opt for any cooling unit in our double - we had evap installed in our old place and I hated it - works great for a dry heat like perth but we found melbs too muggy and everything would seem sticky on a hot day and we didn't have the $ for ducted refidgerated so we will be installing split systems - probably 3 in total, but we can do 1 at a time starting with a really big one upstairs.

Thanks Claire, we are using evaporative cooling for about last 12 years in single storey houses.

We use it generally during hot spells. You are absolutely right that evaporative doesn't help on a muggy day.

How are you planning to place split systems in your house? I would be very interested to know as that might help me too.
Thanks Lurgen and Mimi.. I had a glass splash back in the last place, it was a promo at the time, and agree it wasn't easy to clean but I did like it over standard tiles (although is be interested to know what the equivalent cost was in upgraded tiles, eg cat 3 splash back tile = same cost as glass or something).
I do definitely like the Bolero floor and the more i hear people talk about them, the more I think that's the way I will go. I guess it's just good to hear other peoples experiences and opinions.
I have already upgraded a little more than I thought I would, so I guess it's hopetoun that I'm scared about now!
Mirz - we have chosen to use hebel, so our plan was to put the biggest spilt system we can upstairs in the games room, which we assume will be the warmest part of the house, then a decent sized one in the family room downstairs but will wait till next summer for that unit to see how bad the heat is and if the hebel takes the edge of things etc and then as a last case if we need it a small one for master bed. Luckily the 2 big units can live down the side which is hidden and not really usable.
mirz
clairemumto5

Thanks Claire, we are using evaporative cooling for about last 12 years in single storey houses.

We use it generally during hot spells. You are absolutely right that evaporative doesn't help on a muggy day.

How are you planning to place split systems in your house? I would be very interested to know as that might help me too.

We have been allowed to run our own cables to install split systems after handover. Get in with your site supervisor and ask what things you can get away with - the worst they can say is no.
clairemumto5
Mirz - we have chosen to use hebel, so our plan was to put the biggest spilt system we can upstairs in the games room, which we assume will be the warmest part of the house, then a decent sized one in the family room downstairs but will wait till next summer for that unit to see how bad the heat is and if the hebel takes the edge of things etc and then as a last case if we need it a small one for master bed. Luckily the 2 big units can live down the side which is hidden and not really usable.

Thanks Claire for sharing. Did you check with some air con company what size of unit will be required for gaming area upstairs?

I'm not sure of requirements on that as it's a pretty big open area with stairs, and all cool air will follow downstairs.

It's like I'm scared of power bill, may be

I'm planning to go with ceiling fans in family, alfresco to do a test run for first summer.
skye02
mirz
clairemumto5

We have been allowed to run our own cables to install split systems after handover. Get in with your site supervisor and ask what things you can get away with - the worst they can say is no.

That's another good option but not sure if site supervisors generally allow such things.

Another question in regards to split systems, if you lets say have 3 splits (1 large and 2 medium) would you need three phase power to property if you want to run all 3 splits at the same time?
mirz
That's another good option but not sure if site supervisors generally allow such things.

Another question in regards to split systems, if you lets say have 3 splits (1 large and 2 medium) would you need three phase power to property if you want to run all 3 splits at the same time?

You should ring an airconditioning company re: above. They should be able to give you all the information you need including what size units would be suitable for your size house. Our airconditioner guy suggested 2 units; one big one in the lounge and a second smaller unit in our bedroom which will flow and cool the whole house.
skye02
mirz

You should ring an airconditioning company re: above. They should be able to give you all the information you need including what size units would be suitable for your size house. Our airconditioner guy suggested 2 units; one big one in the lounge and a second smaller unit in our bedroom which will flow and cool the whole house.

Are you building single or double storey?

Another question regarding concreting around the house, anyone done it with PD as part of the slab?

I reckon it generally around 900mm wide all around the house.

We want to get this done, but not sure if go with PD for this as part of slab (expensive option) or after handover by joe blog (cheaper option).
mirz

It really depends on the amps being drawn so you'll have to take into consideration your other electrical appliances. For example if you have appliances that draw a lot of power e.g. induction cooktops, multiple ovens etc then it may pose a problem to only be on single phase.
Hi skye02, any movement at your place yet? Hoping that PD get moving soon for you. when is your contract date?

We are at the start of week 10 and bricking is about 1/2 way at this stage, really amazing how quickly it has progressed. Can only hope they keep up the quality and speed.
Back Pocket
Hi skye02, any movement at your place yet? Hoping that PD get moving soon for you. when is your contract date?

We are at the start of week 10 and bricking is about 1/2 way at this stage, really amazing how quickly it has progressed. Can only hope they keep up the quality and speed.

Hi Back Pocket,

Yes, bricking has moved along at a cracking pace and i am so happy with the brick we've chosen (Labassa) and the workmanship (to the untrained eye of course). Bricking should have finished yesterday i would say.

Is plaster part of the lockup stage does anyone know?

Glad to hear that your place is coming along so quickly - we are at week 20 so to be half way through bricking in week 10 is amazing.

Our contract date is 12 December - when is yours?
skye02
Back Pocket

Hi Back Pocket,

Yes, bricking has moved along at a cracking pace and i am so happy with the brick we've chosen (Labassa) and the workmanship (to the untrained eye of course). Bricking should have finished yesterday i would say.

Glad to hear that your place is coming along so quickly - we are at week 20 so to be half way through bricking in week 10 is amazing.

Ours is April 2, which is amazing because I cannot see that it could take that long from here. At least I hope not, given the size of the mortgage

Plaster is part of fixing I believe, the specifications of each stage are written in the contract.
I checked your blog and I like your bricks too, it's looking great. I bet you are glad just to see some action!
Back Pocket
skye02
Back Pocket

Hi Back Pocket,

Ours is April 2, which is amazing because I cannot see that it could take that long from here. At least I hope not, given the size of the mortgage

Plaster is part of fixing I believe, the specifications of each stage are written in the contract.
I checked your blog and I like your bricks too, it's looking great. I bet you are glad just to see some action!

I think you will be in well before April 2! Especially now the weather is getting nicer.

Do you have a blog?
Good luck MummaDJ for handover tomorrow, hope its all you have dreamed of.
Hi All, I thought the blog had been quiet for a while an obviously missed my email notification, you have all been super busy chatting away and I didn't realise!! I have been busy comparing phone companies, energy companies, TV Antennas, still blinds and still landscaping. Been packing boxes and tidying the rental house for inspections (future renters! - just what I needed). Feeling quite tense about tomorrow, don't know why! I have the cheque ready to go, been speaking with SS, majority of issues, just a couple of things that may carry over.
A little tip for others, when you have the time, start researching your energy companies, internet/phone providers etc etc. It is the owners responsibility to hook up the telephone line from the street to the house - I wasn't quite aware of that. Note though that you don't have to do this with Telstra if you don't want a plan with them. I spoke with Internode and they can hook it up (they just order a Telstra Tech person in). If you get Telstra to hook you up, then you have to go on one of their plans. Can take up to 10 business days for this to happen. So I still haven't done this one yet!

So BackPocket and everyone else - thanks for all the words of support - tomorrow is handover day!! Woo Hoo, I will have the keys by Midday! Tad excited. Will start moving stuff straight away. Have removal company booked in for Sunday for the big heavy things.

It actually all feels quite surreal.
I may be offline from next week sometime for a couple of weeks, but promise to update the blog and send photos. I know how much I love to see other peoples homes when they are finished.

We have been very happy along the journey, some stresses at different times, but I dare someone to tell me a time when their build has been perfect with no flaws or mishaps along the way.....

We have been lucky to have a great team in our BC and SS - a huge thanks to them. They know this as we have ensured that we have told them along the way when we are happy, they have also known if we haven't been. Remember out there, we are all quick to criticise when things go wrong, but if things are also going right - make sure you give the positive feedback, this is equally important for the PD staff to hear. (Can you tell I worked in Human Resources!)

Okay, I am procrastinating packing boxes and getting ready for handover inspection, so better get on to it.
PS: I ordered the temporary blinds from http://www.ezyblind.com.au/ so I can block out the kids rooms until I sort out our blinds. Ordered 4pm in the afternoon, arrived on my doorstep at 8am the next day. Gotta love that. Will post how they look when they are up.

Next couple of weeks will involve getting more blind quotes.......it never ends!
Wahoo!!!!! All the best for tomorrow Mumma DJ!!!!!
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum