Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 414 of 862
2.5hrs is good will have to remember to take that day off when we get to that point...I am hoping we will wind up similar time frame to yours it would mean we maybe in by superbowl sunday or our son's birthday in feb which is not that far away in the grand scheme of things, and I learnt from skye not to complain about time!

got our reg call from ss on wed and I believe scaffolding is due to arrive tomorrow - though this weeks weather has mucked the hebel installation around they are almost finished downstairs maybe about 10 panels and I have to admit it looks good am pretty happy with the choice.
belle10
Very exciting MummaDJ! We are hoping to be in by the end of the month. Been busy trying to get quotes for fencing, concreting and blinds. We lost our whirly bird in the wind and not sure where it is! Hopefully it has not damaged the roof.

We choose 600mm eaves for our upper floor only at a cost of $2,663.00. Like Backpocket we had west facing windows in our old house and needed blockout blinds. Tried to make sure we had limited west facing windows in this house and protect the upper bedrooms with eaves.

Hope all your builds are going well. Skye hope your building starts getting quicker.

just one month to go, that's exciting. did it cost $2663 for 600mm eaves all around the house on top roofing or just west side?

our block is east facing, and all family room down stairs, and gaming area upstaris will be north and north/west facing. our current house is built in same direction, but luckily we have single storey with pargolla on that side to protect harsh sun.

belle10 pls post some latest photos when possible, thanks.
MummaDJ
Thanks gang - it is very exciting, kiddies also excited! Get champagne ready......
PCI took only 2.5 hours. Nothing too major - paint fixes, plaster fixes, cleaning up of some tapware, scratched window to be replaced, render paint to be touched up. Somethings not fully 100%, but we are happy.
Overall it has been great. SS is fair. Some negotiations, all okay in the end.
Overall build so far is 26-27 weeks, not bad for contract time of 44 weeks. It isn't because it was rushed either. Just consistent work most of the time on the house. Of course there were days with no one around, but that happens everywhere.

ooh lala, time to celebrate

within 27 weeks, this would be a records for that size of double story house. just checked your blog, its looking awesome.

all colours looking nice, great choice with vibrant colours.

would PD be responsible to remove/clean all debris from front and rear yards, and level that or it will your responsibility?

what kind of driveway are you planning to go with? coloured or exposed aggregate?
Yay MummaDJ.. That is fantastic news... So happy for your. Your house is beautiful...

Claire - our SS said our PCI was booked in on the 14th January
But there is plenty to go before then and as you said the weather has been atrocious... Our site is an absolute bog pit at the moment...

We also chose Eaves as I think it looks funny also without.. Although my heart just stopped as I didn't think about the garage. But I am happy that it actually looks ok with eaves - thank goodness. I think ours were $2.5k.

Loving looking through everyone's pictures and blogs.. Keep the updates coming
Is anyone else getting a ducted vaccuum?
Did you get the outlets put where you requested on the plans?

None of our requested points are anywhere near where we asked for them to be.
I am quite irritated at this as they have been put in the bedrooms instead of the hallways and have fairly butchered the frame in doing so.
Not only that, the sweeper pan is missing too. We are going with a copy of the plans to make sure everything is in the right place because our wall mount TV has not been put in either.
Our SS is on leave for another week, so no point in making the call to the BC until I have gotten a list of anything else that is missing.

I know that the lady at electrical said that it might not be exactly where we requested but we did not think it would be 2 metres down the hall and in the bedroom. One outlet is right beside my bed!
That's insane who installs ducted vacuum in bedrooms. sometimes it seems like some tradies have totally hollow skulls. must be living next door from zombies, lol.

If plastering is already done, how they are going to relocate them back to hallways?

We are planning to go with 2 x roomba, one on each floor. It will cost less than ducted vacuum unit.
Our discussion over ducted vacuuming went - if the kids poke something up it it will be the most exy vacuum replacement ever! So hence no ducted for us
clairemumto5
Our discussion over ducted vacuuming went - if the kids poke something up it it will be the most exy vacuum replacement ever! So hence no ducted for us

we have ducted vacuum in current house for last 8 years (since bought this place), no issues at all.

kids tried their best, but nothing happened so far

best part is no noise inside, and no frequent bags replacement (one bag lasts a year easily)
Hi Everyone!
I'm back for round two with PD. After a series of unfortunate events lead to the sale of my last build, I'm starting again, this time on my own! Unfortunately for me, I was not the one that was any good at selecting colours etc last time, my specialty was the electricals, and being a pain in the butt when it came to admin etc.
ANYWAY I have selected the Livingstone 20 with the Grand Alfresco option. I originally went the Montague, but changed this as it was just too similar to the last place (we built the Montrose with Grand Alfresco & 4th Bedroom). I really like the plan of the Livingstone, it has the same features I liked about the Montrose, but with an added study area (which of course appeals to the nerd in me).
I may end up starting my own thread, or doing a blog as last time, but I thought I would start off with a few questions in here, since it's been a couple of years since I've been through all this, and doing this on my own = needing all the help I can get!

Firstly, what are the chances of building a nice looking place while keeping upgrades to a minimum? I'm working on a budget here, but at the same time, I want the place to look good. I've already added a few things, such as the current kitchen promo (with stone benchtop etc) and a glass splashback instead of tiles (I'm happy to listen to suggestions with this if the fashions have changed, last time glass splashback was the go, but I was suprised to find it wasn't offered in the promo packages, and I had to ask for it before anybody mentioned it).

Secondly, has anybody got any experience, or feedback with the Bolero flooring VS tiles? We went tiles last time, and were happy with the look, but something is making me lean towards the Bolero this time. Today somebody told me that it's not good, and that you can't get it wet or it will bubble. Would this be correct? As that seems like a bit of a deal breaker to me!

Lastly, has anybody opted for those lights that go under the overhead cupboards in the kitchen? If so, what did they cost, and is there anything I should know?

Appreciate any help I can get!
I believe mumma dj has lights under kicthen bench I think they look great! Wish I had picked them...no idea about changing trends we were budget concious too. We did go bolero as we couldn't afford to upgrade tiles and I know cat 1 tiles aren't coloured through and with 5 kids chips in tiles are unavoidable, at least with the bolero if they wreck it in 10years we can pull it up easily and replace with better tiles then or other flooring...
That's a good point about the bolero. I really like how it looks, and all the pics I've seen posted look great too, I guess I was just scared from what I was told about it getting wet!
We had cat1 tiles in the last place, and while they turned out good, after only 1 year you could find the odd white mark on the tile, and I also managed to chip a couple, bolero seems a little safer for a clutz like me!
It seems like lots of people are using it though, and I'm sure I would have found complaints on the net by now if there was an issue with water
Just wondering if someone here tried a void upstairs above staircase to keep the house cool?

Someone suggested us to go with one, as it will let all hot air out in summer time.

but not sure how it will work in winters? I believe it should be operable to leave it open is summer and close during winter time.

and also if evaporative cooling ducts requires downstairs or only upstairs?
Take two...

Our site cut is now re-scheduled for the 15th and slab by the end of the month - weather permitting of course - and as long as the bank don't play anymore tricks on us again... here's hoping
Good luck! if it is anything like Meowsy's build you could still be in before the new school year!
Multi-post response...

Back Pocket, with your vacuum points, check to make sure they're using the right plans, and that the plans don't have massive "dots" where the points should be. If they do, then they might just be following (incorrect) instructions. Putting a vacuum point in can require a bit of adjustment to suit the frame, but putting it into a different room isn't acceptable. As for how they fix it now plaster is up, not your problem.

Personally I don't like ducted vacuums. I had it in my last house and while it never broke down it seemed less effective than my Roomba.

Wateman, you'll probably find the upgrade costs are largely unavoidable but probably worth it in the long run. Glass splashback is what we went with, but I'm finding it hard to keep clean. Maybe I need better cleaning products?

We opted for Bolero floors, and while it has only been a month I'd say they were a good choice. They're quiet, don't freeze your feet off in cold weather, and easy enough to keep clean (Roomba does most of the work). Our layout protects them from getting too severely wet but even that doesn't seem like a big issue. The builder even mopped them during handover - I freaked out, but apparently they do it in every single house! I really like the Bolero product, PD has done me a favour by suggesting it.

I also have the under-bench lights. At first I didn't like them but they've grown on me. Unlike downlights they don't consume any cupboard space but bear in mind that they are largely decorative. They're enough to work by at night by themselves, but only if you're trying not to disturb anybody else. They do look really nice when lit though, especially against the glass splashback.

Mirz, not 100% sure I understand your question re: evap cooling, but if you're thinking about cooling the house with evap ducts upstairs only what you'll find is that downstairs won't cool at all. You'll also probably find upstairs struggles to keep up with the workload, because the heat from downstairs will rise rather than get pushed outside. My last house had a large void over its staircase, but it was no help in summer that I could detect. In fact, it just gave me a larger mass of air to push around, making my evaporative system struggle even more.

Finally, my own update...
A month after handover and the house is still standing! The massive winds over recent weeks had me worried, but in the end everything was fine. We're still sorting through a couple of issues but my SS is doing his best to knock these last few things over with some assistance from management.

I know I've posted a bit about the frustrating aspects of the process, but the house itself is extremely well built. We keep coming home to a place that makes us smile, and that has to be the most important thing.

The soundproofing has turned out well, with very little noise from the local trains being noticed from inside but we have learnt the hard way that these newer home designs have one critical flaw: you can't open the bedroom window while you sleep unless you want the entire street to see you! I'll be getting a quote later this week for window tinting, and investing in some screening plants ASAP, but it really makes me wonder how people with larger front windows survive summer.
Lurgen
Multi-post response...

Back Pocket, with your vacuum points, check to make sure they're using the right plans, and that the plans don't have massive "dots" where the points should be. If they do, then they might just be following (incorrect) instructions. Putting a vacuum point in can require a bit of adjustment to suit the frame, but putting it into a different room isn't acceptable. As for how they fix it now plaster is up, not your problem.

Personally I don't like ducted vacuums. I had it in my last house and while it never broke down it seemed less effective than my Roomba.

Wateman, you'll probably find the upgrade costs are largely unavoidable but probably worth it in the long run. Glass splashback is what we went with, but I'm finding it hard to keep clean. Maybe I need better cleaning products?

We opted for Bolero floors, and while it has only been a month I'd say they were a good choice. They're quiet, don't freeze your feet off in cold weather, and easy enough to keep clean (Roomba does most of the work). Our layout protects them from getting too severely wet but even that doesn't seem like a big issue. The builder even mopped them during handover - I freaked out, but apparently they do it in every single house! I really like the Bolero product, PD has done me a favour by suggesting it.

I also have the under-bench lights. At first I didn't like them but they've grown on me. Unlike downlights they don't consume any cupboard space but bear in mind that they are largely decorative. They're enough to work by at night by themselves, but only if you're trying not to disturb anybody else. They do look really nice when lit though, especially against the glass splashback.

Mirz, not 100% sure I understand your question re: evap cooling, but if you're thinking about cooling the house with evap ducts upstairs only what you'll find is that downstairs won't cool at all. You'll also probably find upstairs struggles to keep up with the workload, because the heat from downstairs will rise rather than get pushed outside. My last house had a large void over its staircase, but it was no help in summer that I could detect. In fact, it just gave me a larger mass of air to push around, making my evaporative system struggle even more.

A month after handover and the house is still standing! The massive winds over recent weeks had me worried, but in the end everything was fine. We're still sorting through a couple of issues but my SS is doing his best to knock these last few things over with some assistance from management.

I know I've posted a bit about the frustrating aspects of the process, but the house itself is extremely well built. We keep coming home to a place that makes us smile, and that has to be the most important thing.

The soundproofing has turned out well, with very little noise from the local trains being noticed from inside but we have learnt the hard way that these newer home designs have one critical flaw: you can't open the bedroom window while you sleep unless you want the entire street to see you! I'll be getting a quote later this week for window tinting, and investing in some screening plants ASAP, but it really makes me wonder how people with larger front windows survive summer.

Thanks mate for your feedback on Bolero flooring and Roomba cleaning on its surface. Sounds like you are enjoying new place, that’s great to know.

It's very hard job to keep glass splash backs clean, that's why this time we will be going with tiles splash back. specially with Asian style cooking, it takes some time to clean glass splash-back.

We have decided to divide our house into three zones for heating. But for cooling, it’s still a big question mark. Evaporative cooling is cheaper to install, and running cost is low too. But still struggling to figure out how it will in double storey house. PD hasn't provided quote on evaporative cooling yet, but mostly builders are installing evaporative cooling upstairs with 5 outlets. Henley quoted in $5300 for a Bravis PD34 unit with 5 outlets in their house Sahara Q1 for $5200 (again upstairs only).

I personally don’t want to end up with multiple split systems all around the house. but open to all possibilities.

Just wondering what everyone is doing for cooling double storey houses?
MummaDJ

Hi Mirz
Eaves are an upgrade. You might see some facades have eaves, that is included. Eaves are definitely value for money as over time they help with shading on the windows and protection from rain etc.
Our upgrade cost was:
450mm eaves to ground floor house and garage - $1270
450mm eaves to the upper floor - $1862

Thanks MummaDJ,

we are looking at either Bronte or mayfair facades now. need to figure out if any eaves come as standard with these two facades options.
Lurgen
Multi-post response...

Have you tried using on old newspaper with the cleaning product on your splashback? Does the job with glass windows - wonder if splashbacks are the same?
lol - we decided on a glass splash back b/c we thought it would be easier to keep clean than tiles and grout

oh well, you win some, you lose some!
You can use newspaper or paper towel with glass cleaner to clean glass splash back, but issue is how often you clean house windows?

This requires cleaning every other day in a busy kitchen, lol.

But it looks better compare to tiled splash back.

I reckon best option is to keep separate dirty kitchen in gally for frying and messy cooking. This will help to keep main kitchen nice and shiny all the time.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum