MummaDJ
OMG - just had a quote done for blinds - so many decisions I hadn't considered:
Front rolling or back rolling
Dark fabric Vs Light Fabric
Light sunscreen blinds vs dark sunscreen blinds
Sitting in the window frame area or over the top
Pelmet - No Pelmet
I am confused!

Our PCI is on Monday 7th Oct, we are also going throught the same process. Which blinding company are you using?
MummaDJ
OMG - just had a quote done for blinds - so many decisions I hadn't considered:
Front rolling or back rolling
Dark fabric Vs Light Fabric
Light sunscreen blinds vs dark sunscreen blinds
Sitting in the window frame area or over the top
Pelmet - No Pelmet
I am confused!

If it helps, here are the results of my decisions...

Back roll where possible (it sits closer to the glass this way)
Light sunscreen blinds in the window frames (we chose a light colour, now the light coming in looks literally golden, very nice effect)
Dark blockout blinds over the top with a pelmet (nice contrast, and they match our feature wall colour)
I added 200mm to the width of anything that mounted over the frames (looks nicer this way plus it blocks out more light)
Spring assists on the large ones (most of them actually)
Sliding doors are getting sunscreen blinds over the top of the frame, no blockout
Installed ourselves (not too bad, but best if you have a second person to assist)

Who are you going with for them?
Hi Building_Darnley and Lurgen

I had Perfect Blinds come today, have also heard of these from others:
Into Blinds
A1 Blinds
Sharon's Curtains & Blinds (Dandenong).

Thanks for the tips Lurgen. I will doing some research and checking all the older blogs for pictures of their installed blinds. My DH and I both go well looking at pictures.

I do like the look of a Pelmet over the tops of the blinds and in the same fabric as the blind, this is how it was in the display home. I think it can dress it up. Sales Person today wasn't as keen on Pelmets.
Anyway, will have to look at lots of photos.

Anyone out there with photos of their blinds, please feel free to share or send me in the direction of your photos.
Mumma, we're going for the look you described. 3a blinds have a really nice range of fabrics, we're having Berkeley in Snow, so all white with some double rollers and some light filtering with covered pelmets. If you go in to look at fabrics, take the paint chips and laminex samples etc.

Week 18 and we FINALLY have a roof but still no bricks.
Fingers crossed that it gets a move on for you Skye02. We had a new SS last week. I suspect the last one was working out his notice period and could not have cared less. At least the new SS has contacted me although he is now on holidays for 2 weeks. I can understand how you feel.
Good luck for bricks this week, although that dreaded excuse weather might actually be real this time.
Back Pocket
Fingers crossed that it gets a move on for you Skye02. We had a new SS last week. I suspect the last one was working out his notice period and could not have cared less. At least the new SS has contacted me although he is now on holidays for 2 weeks. I can understand how you feel.
Good luck for bricks this week, although that dreaded excuse weather might actually be real this time.

Thanks Back Pocket. Ive had my fingers crossed for 117 days now. This snail pace building is driving me crazy. They say the "outside" work is quick and its the inside that takes a longer time - not for us
Skye - hopefully things start picking up at great pace now. Even though your SS is away, hopefully the fill in one gets things moving.

Our PCI is now on for this Thursday. Yippee. Had our Independent Inspection yesterday.
Happy with how things are looking at the moment. When went to meet the SS the painters were on site. They had started on Sunday.
:).

Just wish our BC hadn't spoiled it for us.

Back pocket this how the infill looks now

MummaDJ
Skye - hopefully things start picking up at great pace now. Even though your SS is away, hopefully the fill in one gets things moving.

Our PCI is now on for this Thursday. Yippee. Had our Independent Inspection yesterday - changed companies and I was very impressed with New Homes Inspections. Knew their stuff.

Hi mummaDJ hope you PCI went well. You must be so excited
I have just started looking for blinds and fencing and few things
list of things to do doesn't seem to end
tinker
Happy with how things are looking at the moment. When went to meet the SS the painters were on site. They had started on Sunday.

Thanks tinker, it is a very good match to your bricks from the pictures. Our bricking is still at the lower level so none are up to the tops of the windows yet. Still waiting to see if we have this issue.
Wow painting so soon!

How did the SS respond to your other issues? Are you happy with how the rest of it is going?
Back Pocket
tinker

Thanks tinker, it is a very good match to your bricks from the pictures. Our bricking is still at the lower level so none are up to the tops of the windows yet. Still waiting to see if we have this issue.
Wow painting so soon!

How did the SS respond to your other issues? Are you happy with how the rest of it is going?

No it's matched to the window frame.
top of the window frame there s an additional aluminum piece in the long window. I guess it's not that noticeable now.
tinker

Back pocket the long slim window (1st one )not the same height as the other two. There's an aluminum strip on top of the window frame.

He seems ok other than the window if there is an issue with something specifically mentioned in our plan he looks into it.

How are things progressing at your end. The bricks look great and the garage s huge. Would have loved to extend the garage but wasn't possible with the lot width:( the bricks take a couple of weeks. We had stuff happening inside the same time the brick work on the upper floor.
We had no bricking Thursday, To Tuesday probably because of the weather but they were back bricking today. On the plus side, the electrical wiring was put in Monday Tuesday this week and the plaster has arrived as well. It's certainly moving quite quickly. It's really hard to decide when to put our house on the market, our contract date is April 2 but I really can't see them taking another 6 months to finish it. But I don't want to pay two mortgages for longer than we have to.

Fingers crossed that they keep doing things inside for us too while the bricking is happening because it does seem to be taking a long time to brick!

Will try to get photos tomorrow. I am dying to see the front bricked!
It's great to see all the progress even in this crazy windy weather around Melbourne.

It looks like PD has lifted up their game and construction time is getting closer to promised time period.

Just a quick question, in double story eaves are standard or upgrade? If upgrade any approx figure? Thanks.
mirz
It's great to see all the progress even in this crazy windy weather around Melbourne.

It looks like PD has lifted up their game and construction time is getting closer to promised time period.

Just a quick question, in double story eaves are standard or upgrade? If upgrade any approx figure? Thanks.

Hi Mirz
Eaves are an upgrade. You might see some facades have eaves, that is included. Eaves are definitely value for money as over time they help with shading on the windows and protection from rain etc.
Our upgrade cost was:
450mm eaves to ground floor house and garage - $1270
450mm eaves to the upper floor - $1862
Eaves are so worth it! Can't remember exactly how much only like mummadj type figure...they look weird without it, and some facades that show eaves only have them to the front which looks even stranger - though I wish I had thought to add them to the garage and alfresco like deb did...although our garage is on the boundary anyway.
We were quoted $2k for eaves on a 29 square lifestyle house. We were going to go with eaves but I didn't like the look of not having brickwork over the windows as the windows sit up right underneath the eaves.

We have eaves on the front as part of our facade and considering on one side of the house we will be building a deck and we have an alfresco out the back (which will be connected to the deck), we didn't see the point in paying $2k essentially for eaves which would be useful on one side of the house.

This was the only decision that I had trouble making and right now I am second guessing myself!
Definitely would have gone with eaves. Our tender lady didn't explain that the eaves would only be around the front part (facade) she just said eaves our included. The appointment was so stressful we didn't have time to check it again. When we realized that we had the eaves only in the front facade it was too late.

It's one thing we wish we hadn't missed.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum