Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 404 of 862
Wonder why PD change the SS half way through the process specially when things were progressing smoothly. Not happy about it.
tinker
Wonder why PD change the SS half way through the process specially when things were progressing smoothly. Not happy about it.

Did the previous one resign? If not, and you really want to keep the old one, put your foot down and insist.

Of all the people involved in my build, my SS was the one who I relied on the most.

HD
Lurgen
tinker

Did the previous one resign? If not, and you really want to keep the old one, put your foot down and insist.

Of all the people involved in my build, my SS was the one who I relied on the most.

HD

No Lurgen he was transferred to another estate north or west of melbourne. He informed us on Friday
Few weeks back and the new one took over the same day. Think this one is new to PD. (That's what we understood)
I like to think I am pretty chilled out - haven't really had to much to complain with (even with neighbours threatening to sue us) BUT, I am quite annoyed - ie very annoyed - that we find ourselves with two problems now.

Has anyone heard of a problem putting heating / cooling points in places which are on "standard plans"? I might be able to cope if it was in one place, but we have two places where they just cant put them - as per standard plans.. I haven't added any special ones... These are both on standard plans... To overcome this they want to put voids in upstairs to compensate. The first I can live with - in our WIR. But the second one, if we want heating and cooling in our rumpus room, we need to put a void in the master bedroom - in the corner of the room... This means its like a covered in pillar in one corner of the room.... Isnt that ridiculous - or am I being unreasonable? I will attached the floor plans - but if you imagine walking into the master bedroom - it is directly infront - alongside the ensuite wall... They want to put a 500 X 600 mm pillar in that corner??? I am really quite annoyed....

I appreciate they are trying to do everything to help "compromise" but it looks like its this or nothing.... I don't understand why there is a problem with the standard plans and don't understand how it couldn't have been picked up previously... Its not like we are building the first ever Rochford!!

Grrrrrr, the other things is about a retaining wall.. We have been asking and asking and asking and its only now that they also believe we need one... grrrrr..

Oh the rage.

http://buildingthedreamhome.wordpress.c ... use-plans/

Anyone had a similar experience?
When you posted in your blog about the heating i looked at your plans fans from what i could see the rumpu s and your ensuite aren't standard? They are options and am guessing maybe SC didn't know about ramification of these options in regards to heating system.
Your post made me pour over our plans to check if we would face same problems but we already have voids in line where our heating ducts are located downstairs.
The ducts have to follow the floor joists so as frustrating as it would be i wouldn't want to mess with structural integrity and would just accept the best compromise.

On other news met our SS today onsite and he took us upstairs so we could have a look around was great
and was very happy with how he approached the report he took us through a visual of all the issues and said what he was going to do to sort them so to PD management he deserves a pat on the back.

Roof tiles arrived today so should be going up on Mon etc
Oh but retaining wall issue super sucky too! Feel bad for you with that one hope it's sorted soon so they can get back to building
mirz
is there a need to upgrade hot water unit from 175L one? anyone done this?

Hi Mirz,

From late April

Provide a Sunmaster 270 ltr Gas Storage Tank and Gas booser to suit 270 tank in lieu ofprevious 175 ltr Storage tank and 175 ltr booster -$718.

Hope that helps
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the fabulous idea's you have given me via your suggestions and blogs, I have spent way too many hours on this site

MummaDJ did you get your flooring laid on Friday? I am keen to see some pic's if you have some.
Country Lifestyle
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the fabulous idea's you have given me via your suggestions and blogs, I have spent way too many hours on this site

MummaDJ did you get your flooring laid on Friday? I am keen to see some pic's if you have some.

Hi Country Lifestyle
Yes, I sure did. The Blog is updated - have added 2 posts so go to the one starting with "Week 21......."
We also have our Red Front Door now. Looking good!
MummaDJ
Country Lifestyle

Hi Country Lifestyle
Yes, I sure did. The Blog is updated - have added 2 posts so go to the one starting with "Week 21......."
We also have our Red Front Door now. Looking good!

It's looking gorgeous MummaDJ!!! Love the door. So glad the tiling has been fixed. Looks much better now - that would have driven me insane having the line off centre! Flooring looks beautiful! It's getting so close to being finished. Very exciting!
Thanks Inglewood. It is so surreal. To think we are contracted to finish in Feb 2014 and we only hoped we would be in before Christmas!! So reality is fantastic that we will be well and truly in and celebrating Christmas in our home, with time to do landscaping and unpacking beforehand!
Inglewood - fingers crossed that some action happens today.
Where we are renting they are building next door and site cutting today!
MummaDJ
Thanks Inglewood. It is so surreal. To think we are contracted to finish in Feb 2014 and we only hoped we would be in before Christmas!! So reality is fantastic that we will be well and truly in and celebrating Christmas in our home, with time to do landscaping and unpacking beforehand!

WOW!!! That's FANTASTIC!!! You must be beside yourself with excitement! I know I would be
Our site scrape is set for today, but with storms forecast I doubt it will happen
MummaDJ
Inglewood - fingers crossed that some action happens today.
Where we are renting they are building next door and site cutting today!

LOL - Maybe I'll have to go for a drive this afternoon and see if anything is happening...
Just wondering what others have experienced in regards to their SS. When should we expect our SS to contact us?

Our BC told us last week about site scrape, but we've had no communication from our SS - no idea who it is yet - I've read on here about others having their SS contact them prior to Site scrape and have given them dates of when they expect the slab pour and frame start, etc...
Lurgen
inglewood
hey Lurgen. How did handover go?

Hi all - I've been quiet of late as we don't have Internet access yet. Next week hopefully.

Handover went reasonably well - there are always going to be problems but we're working through them.

Our SS really did a great job. A bunch of trades let him down in the last few days before handover meaning he was running around like crazy on handover day.

At this stage we are getting a replacement splashback (the original had a mark behind it which was only made worse when they tried to fix it) and the shower frames are being looked at tomorrow by them manufacturer to see if they can fix some marks on them.

We've moved in, and are about 90% unpacked already.

Handover day is a stressful activity, I have to say. So much pressure to get the deal done, so it's easy to just cave on issues and proceed with serious issues outstanding. We were lucky, our SS resolved the serious issues very quickly but it was touch and go for a while there.

Since moving (last Saturday) the driveway has gone in, fences are up, landscaping will happen this weekend, curtains are mostly up. I'll post up a list of trades that I've relied on with good results in another post soon but if anybody is looking for a good A/C guy, a good paver, or a good landscaper PM me.

Next I have to find me an electrician!

Fabulous news Lurgen!
MummaDJ

Everything's looking fantastic. MummaDj. Love how it looks. Did you manage to get the fencing and blinds booked in on time?
Finally updated my blog
the stairs and cabinets have been installed. This week I guess the doors will go in including the bi-fold.
inglewood
Just wondering what others have experienced in regards to their SS. When should we expect our SS to contact us?

Our BC told us last week about site scrape, but we've had no communication from our SS - no idea who it is yet - I've read on here about others having their SS contact them prior to Site scrape and have given them dates of when they expect the slab pour and frame start, etc...

Hi inglewood

We got our SS (both the site supervisor and slab supervisor) contact details from our BC and called. As we didn't receive any calls we called the SS on day of the site start.
Team PD
ftdt7882
Can anyone clarify if they have had or will have bathroom niches on walls that are external walls?

In both of our bathrooms, one wall is internal, the other wall is external. On our plans, PD put the niches on the internal walls and the shower heads on the external walls which meant when you turned the shower on the water would be coming out the door (i.e. towards you!!!). We were told that PD does not do niches on external walls. So we scrapped our niches (really disappointed!) and moved the plumbing back to the internal wall so the water would not come out the shower door.

But I've just read this on the PD blog:

"Bathroom niches on external walls are available but there are some instances when these can’t be done such as when there is a metre box is within 600mm of the planned niche as we can’t have water near the metre box for safety reasons."

And I've just done a search on the forums and found a couple of people that have had niches on the external walls.

Helen - can you please clarify this for me? There is so much conflicting information!

Thanks

Hi ftdt7882,
I'm having this looked into for you now. Will have someone get back to you tomorrow.
Cheers, Helen

just realised i have the same issue. Do we have a verdict?
MummaDJ- Wow! I love the look of your house, the exterior in particular is a bit different which I love
Tiles look perfect now, the house looks huuuuge without any furniture hehe
Inglewood we got a call from the Slab supervisor (not the SS, who takes over from frame to completion) a day or two before the slab pour I think it was.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum