Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 397 of 862
hocm
So...... Had our colour and electrical selections with hopetoun today. Electrical appointment I left like this
colour selections I left feeling like
reason? I felt that during the colour selection we were just rushing through it to meet a deadline. Options that we knew could be specified such as the finishing on the kitchen cabinetry down to the island bench top edging were not even explored with us until we brought it up. Disappointed. The colour consultants at hopetoun made me personally feel like just a number among a whole list of clients. Now while the girls in the weekend at hopetoun didn't have a clue on pricing whatsoever, at least they took the time to discuss and show interests and provide suggestions to complement your selections.

Hi hocm,

The issues you have outlined regarding your visit to Hopetoun are concerning and have been escalated to the relevant manager. Someone will be back in touch with you ASAP.

Regards, Helen
MummaDJ
Just posted a little update on my blog of internal paint colour and tiles half done. Loving it.

+1 for it looking great. The cabinets look great (I chose the Licorice Linea too) and overall colours really compliment each other

Nothing really happening at all on our end. Street construction still happening which is a good sign. The latest is for a January start date with December land settlement.

Just in the process of choosing a new brick as we had to change from Boral to Austral. There are a few new bricks from the previous list posted on the forum. I have the most recent document from Hopetoun with bricks and categories if anyone wants it. Just PM me and I'll send you the doc.
Lurgen
hocm
So...... Had our colour and electrical selections with hopetoun today. Electrical appointment I left like this
colour selections I left feeling like
reason? I felt that during the colour selection we were just rushing through it to meet a deadline. Options that we knew could be specified such as the finishing on the kitchen cabinetry down to the island bench top edging were not even explored with us until we brought it up. Disappointed. The colour consultants at hopetoun made me personally feel like just a number among a whole list of clients. Now while the girls in the weekend at hopetoun didn't have a clue on pricing whatsoever, at least they took the time to discuss and show interests and provide suggestions to complement your selections.

Our appointment was much the same, except our appointment overlapped somebody else so we only had limited time to make our choices. The difference between the two was noticable for us as well - colour skipped so many things I nearly went out of my mind. We were still sorting out that mess up until after framing.

Electrical was a bit of a problem for us, so many mistakes and oversights meant we had to go back. The second visit was superb though - the team leader did a great job.

It's odd how different the weekend staff seems compared to the weekday staff eh?

Same story with us, we have passed our fixing stage and looks like things are finally on its way with sections/colours/contract/drawings with the help of very Senior PD team member. You have to fight very hard to get what seems like simple english translated to building terminology, make sure whatever changes you made confirm and reconfirm on all document, sign once satisfied.

Good luck with your build and appointments
A positive update this time - PCI went ahead this morning and was for the most part satisfactory. They'll be working up until the day of handover, but the major items are finally falling into place. It looks rather good too - today was the first time my partner got to see our colour, tile and carpet selections in the house rather than on small sample squares. She was extremely happy! Our SS did a really good job of wrangling the dozen or so people who are finishing things off - he has been consistently reliable.

Sparkies are re-doing the bits that were based on out-of-date plans and should have most of it finished tomorrow. We're not quite sure how one part of that will play out yet, but fingers crossed eh?

The paintwork needs touching up in a lot of places, but this seems to be normal enough. So many people have been through over recent weeks, so I guess it was inevitable that some damage would be done.

So with a bit of luck the challenges of recent months will come to a close next Thursday and I can concentrate on moving house.
Congratulations Lurgen, must be a very exciting time for you
Congrats Lurgen

Our SS called yesterday and said things were progressing SLOWLY and he stressed slowly on site - he wanted it framed by the weekend...but he thinks it will be mid next week and I am guessing it will be next Friday...so it wasn't just me thinking it was slow going at least.

They all seem nice enough so I guess so long as its done right - I wont complain about the extra week it took.
Back Pocket
Hocm, I might be missing something here but my understanding is that you can change where the render goes. We don't like render so had it all removed where we could. Good luck with it.

this option was not explored with us at all. Is it true you can change where the render goes without it affecting the cost of the facade?
hocm
Back Pocket
Hocm, I might be missing something here but my understanding is that you can change where the render goes. We don't like render so had it all removed where we could. Good luck with it.

this option was not explored with us at all. Is it true you can change where the render goes without it affecting the cost of the facade?

Not sure about the cost. Render is usually included in whatever package is going, so you would need to check it out perhaps with your SC. I know that in some estates ( if you are building in an estate) there are specific guidelines on what colour, how much and where you can have render. This is true in estates where you can't have the same facade within 3 blocks or something. Sorry I cannot be more help although I will say, never wait for someone to suggest anything, work out what you want and ask. Then if the answer does not make sense, ask again or ask someone else. Amazing how no can turn to yes depending upon who you ask and how you frame the question.
Lurgen
A positive update this time - PCI went ahead this morning and was for the most part satisfactory. They'll be working up until the day of handover, but the major items are finally falling into place. It looks rather good too - today was the first time my partner got to see our colour, tile and carpet selections in the house rather than on small sample squares. She was extremely happy! Our SS did a really good job of wrangling the dozen or so people who are finishing things off - he has been consistently reliable.

Sparkies are re-doing the bits that were based on out-of-date plans and should have most of it finished tomorrow. We're not quite sure how one part of that will play out yet, but fingers crossed eh?

The paintwork needs touching up in a lot of places, but this seems to be normal enough. So many people have been through over recent weeks, so I guess it was inevitable that some damage would be done.

So with a bit of luck the challenges of recent months will come to a close next Thursday and I can concentrate on moving house.

Congratulations Lurgen!!
Is there anything you would recommend to prepare for PCI? We have just been told ours is booked in for the 9th of September and I am feeling very overwhelmed with it all at the moment.
mzmOntague
Congratulations Lurgen!!
Is there anything you would recommend to prepare for PCI? We have just been told ours is booked in for the 9th of September and I am feeling very overwhelmed with it all at the moment.

I'd suggest you grab a copy of Brian Ashworth's "Guide to a New House PCI Inspection" from anewhouse.com.au. It costs $4 and comes from one of the forum participants here. You'll find a lot of it in there.

For mine, here's my PCI checklist:
- Copy of the tender
- Copy of any BVs / PCVs
- A3 copy of all (current) drawings
- Written list of all known probable issues (things I knew could be an issue)
- Torch (for inspecting the ceiling space)
- Ladder (SS doesn't normally carry one)
- Pen & paper
- Tape measure (to make sure cupboards are the right dimensions)
- Camera

Some tips:
- Allow at least 2, possibly 3 or even 4 hours (mine took a little over 3).
- Don't be worried about the number of paint defects, remember that dozens of people have been through installing things recently
- Be super-fussy, this is your last chance to spot problems
- Appliances won't be installed yet, so set the expectation you'll need to repeat a few checks on handover day
- Don't rush, spend as much time as required on each room
- Open/close every single door, drawer, window
- Check light switch placement, switch assignments to make sure they're right (these can be changed easily enough)
- Closely inspect items that you know are hard to fix yourself (splashbacks, bench surfaces, concrete for example)
- Take your shoes off when walking through so you can feel any floor issues more easily
- Ask for spare tiles to be left behind in case you break one
- If it moves (opens, closes, turns, locks, latches, etc.) test it
- When looking at doors, check from both sides. Close yourself into rooms to get a room-specific view from the inside
- Paint defects should be visible from 1-1.5m under natural light, not on your hands & knees with a floodlight
- Write everything down, even if your SS says he'll fix it
- Resist the urge to get it over with - assuming a $200k build and a 2 hour inspection, you're approving over $1,600 of work per minute(!)
- Your SS becomes your long-term point of contact so be nice
- Ask a million questions, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask
- Have fun, this is going to be your new home!
mzmOntague, we are also building a Montague 21, what extras did you add to the basic layout?
clairemumto5
Congrats Lurgen

Our SS called yesterday and said things were progressing SLOWLY and he stressed slowly on site - he wanted it framed by the weekend...but he thinks it will be mid next week and I am guessing it will be next Friday...so it wasn't just me thinking it was slow going at least.

They all seem nice enough so I guess so long as its done right - I wont complain about the extra week it took.

Claire, my belief is that the frame is the bones, get that right and hopefully all the rest is brilliant. I know it is tough it is slow, but as you say, do it right the first time and you don't mind.
Lurgen

Congrats Lurgen, not long now.....
Rough Estimate for us is PCI mid September and handover end of September - EXCITED!

Thanks for the tips above Lurgen, I will get my self ready for PCI!!!
Lurgen
mzmOntague
Congratulations Lurgen!!

I'd suggest you grab a copy of Brian Ashworth's "Guide to a New House PCI Inspection" from anewhouse.com.au. It costs $4 and comes from one of the forum participants here. You'll find a lot of it in there.

For mine, here's my PCI checklist:
- Copy of the tender
- Copy of any BVs / PCVs
- A3 copy of all (current) drawings
- Written list of all known probable issues (things I knew could be an issue)
- Torch (for inspecting the ceiling space)
- Ladder (SS doesn't normally carry one)
- Pen & paper
- Tape measure (to make sure cupboards are the right dimensions)
- Camera

Some tips:
- Allow at least 2, possibly 3 or even 4 hours (mine took a little over 3).
- Don't be worried about the number of paint defects, remember that dozens of people have been through installing things recently
- Be super-fussy, this is your last chance to spot problems
- Appliances won't be installed yet, so set the expectation you'll need to repeat a few checks on handover day
- Don't rush, spend as much time as required on each room
- Open/close every single door, drawer, window
- Check light switch placement, switch assignments to make sure they're right (these can be changed easily enough)
- Closely inspect items that you know are hard to fix yourself (splashbacks, bench surfaces, concrete for example)
- Take your shoes off when walking through so you can feel any floor issues more easily
- Ask for spare tiles to be left behind in case you break one
- If it moves (opens, closes, turns, locks, latches, etc.) test it
- When looking at doors, check from both sides. Close yourself into rooms to get a room-specific view from the inside
- Paint defects should be visible from 1-1.5m under natural light, not on your hands & knees with a floodlight
- Write everything down, even if your SS says he'll fix it
- Resist the urge to get it over with - assuming a $200k build and a 2 hour inspection, you're approving over $1,600 of work per minute(!)
- Your SS becomes your long-term point of contact so be nice
- Ask a million questions, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask
- Have fun, this is going to be your new home!

Thanks for the great advise Lurgen!! This will help a lot!
It is soooo nerve racking and this has helped considerably! Congrats again with your PCI and I hope your handover goes just as well!
Ally007
mzmOntague, we are also building a Montague 21, what extras did you add to the basic layout?

Hi Ally007,
We chose the 4th Bedroom and Alfresco option with the Coburn facade. I would of loved the bigger kitchen option but unfortunately our land wasn't big enough to fit it.
As for the extras, we, added a window in between the kitchen and alfresco so the kitchen didn't seem so closed off, extended the garage, added a water point for the fridge and a gas point outside for the BBQ and upgraded the light fixtures. There was a few other things which I can't think of off the top of my head, but our package with PD also included things like a double vanity in the ensuite, glass splash-back for the kitchen, fly screens on all openable windows, driveway and a few other things also. This is our first home and unfortunately we had a limited budget, I would of loved to upgrade more but I'm pretty happy with what we have chosen.

What option did you go with and what sort of extras have you added? Has your house already begun construction?
mzmOntague
Ally007

Hi Ally007,
We chose the 4th Bedroom and Alfresco option with the Coburn facade. I would of loved the bigger kitchen option but unfortunately our land wasn't big enough to fit it.
As for the extras, we, added a window in between the kitchen and alfresco so the kitchen didn't seem so closed off, extended the garage, added a water point for the fridge and a gas point outside for the BBQ and upgraded the light fixtures. There was a few other things which I can't think of off the top of my head, but our package with PD also included things like a double vanity in the ensuite, glass splash-back for the kitchen, fly screens on all openable windows, driveway and a few other things also. This is our first home and unfortunately we had a limited budget, I would of loved to upgrade more but I'm pretty happy with what we have chosen.

What option did you go with and what sort of extras have you added? Has your house already begun construction?

Hi,

we went for the 4th bedroom, living, extended kitchen and grand alfresco option, I think that is as big as you can go... We picked the Throngate facade even though I wanted to pick the same one you guys have... My husband also insisted on eaves all around the house. We have a big bi-fold window in the kitchen, we also added the water point for the fridge and extended the WIP because otherwise the fridge wouldn't fit in, splash back to island bench, longer bath and spa jets to the bath in the bathroom, gas point to the alfresco, niches in the showers, ceiling dumper in the en suite shower, under mount sink, glass range hood... the packages are pretty good as well, including landscaping tot he front of the house, driveway and path, veggie sprayer, flyscreens...

Construction hasn't started yet, we have our colour and electrical appointment next Friday and contract signing the week after... site start should be sometime in October... fingers crossed... Do you have any photos to share?
Lurgen

Great to hear things are looking up. There is no doubt that building a house is a stressful time. Fingers crossed
for next Thursday for you
Lurgen

Congrats Lurgen
MummaDJ
Rough Estimate for us is PCI mid September and handover end of September - EXCITED!

Thanks for the tips above Lurgen, I will get my self ready for PCI!!!

that's great.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum