Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 393 of 862
We're now onto our 3rd Building Coordinator due to staff changes. And we haven't even started building. I wonder if I could go for some sort of record?!
Been reading a few posts and I wanted to post some positive stuff regarding our PD experience. It is unfortunate when things don't go to plan and empathise with those going through issues.

However, to date we have been more than happy with the process. We have gone through tender, had our slab poured and frame due to go up tomorrow Our BC has been beyond helpful. Responds always within the day, mostly within the hour. Was always keeping us up to date on progress and what was required for appointments etc.

When we had concerns or needed clarification they were more than happy to get it sorted, and did to our expectations.

We don't expect the whole process to go perfectly, we know there may be issues as we get further into the build, but as long as it's rectified and we get the home we paid for then that's all we can ask.

I now it's frustrating for some, but I wanted to let others know that there are good stories too.

Cheers
dave_73
Been reading a few posts and I wanted to post some positive stuff regarding our PD experience. It is unfortunate when things don't go to plan and empathise with those going through issues.

However, to date we have been more than happy with the process. We have gone through tender, had our slab poured and frame due to go up tomorrow Our BC has been beyond helpful. Responds always within the day, mostly within the hour. Was always keeping us up to date on progress and what was required for appointments etc.

When we had concerns or needed clarification they were more than happy to get it sorted, and did to our expectations.

We don't expect the whole process to go perfectly, we know there may be issues as we get further into the build, but as long as it's rectified and we get the home we paid for then that's all we can ask.

I now it's frustrating for some, but I wanted to let others know that there are good stories too.

Cheers

+1
ajd78
Hocm, we eventually paid our tender deposit with credit card - which you can do if you have the facility. We had the intention on the day of paying but ended up not. It was a bit of a disaster to be honest. That said, it lasted about a week and everything was back on track. I will say everything has gone pretty much to plan since then. Although we are only just about to start frames tomorrow.

Clairemumto5 - how is your build going now? Any news on your slab pour?

Mummadj - how is your place going?

Going well ajd78 - we didn't have much action from tues to fri of last week - but happy to say they are there pouring our slab today, way to go boys - haven taken them some donuts and taken some action pics - so exciting. I shouldn't complain as its only 15days into it and we already have a lovely patch of concrete to show for it!
I wish I had something positive to share, but I don't today. Instead I'm going to vent. Scroll down if you don't want to be discouraged.

Since my build started there have been mistakes made due to the wrong drawings being used. Some huge ones, which took incredible efforts to fix, and some small ones which were just annoying. Either way, I thought we were past that point and that everybody was finally on the same page.

I've now discovered that not only are they using the wrong drawings, but the ones they're using are so out of date that all the finishing steps are wrong. Wrong spa, wrong electrical, wrong pre-wiring, you name it. All because my BC ignores my requests to have the current documents circulated to the builders. I'm out there every single week finding more and more mistakes - right now my list of problems has 41 items on it, and the thing grows every time I go out there.

To fix some of these things they'll have to move power points, rewire things, and patch up the holes in the plaster which could well lead to more defects. Some of my shelving and cupboards will have to be ripped out and re-done. And I'm going to need to be out there twice a week for the rest of the build to provide quality control.

PCI is only a couple of weeks away, and I honestly cannot imagine it going well. I've held back terminating my lease on the current house because I don't believe they'll hand me the keys when they say they will, and now I'm starting to suspect my paranoia is right.

So here's a tip for people starting their builds. Go onsite during the working day and ask to see the plans the guys on site are working with. Compare them to what you believe are the current ones. Don't trust your BC or SS to do this for you - mine didn't.

Days like this make me wonder why PD doesn't pay me a salary to co-ordinate this build for them. I'm certainly racking up more hours than my BC does on it.
A new thread called "Rate your building coordinator", people can respond to this thread with +1 or -1 for their respective coordinators. The thread owner then updates the original post so that it's a list of supervisor (firstnames only) against their overall score, separated by different builders.

Good idea?
Good on you for posting Dave. I have tried not to be horrified while reading some of these responses.... your frame is about to go up!! So excited for you
Our slab was supposed to be poured on Friday, but it has been put off until Monday. However there is rain about over the weekend, but not much in the next couple of days. I wonder how they will go pouring on Monday? I asked our BC why it was pushed back....

Lurgen- how do the wrong plans get circulated? Were the drawings changed a couple of times during the pre-start process?
Lurgen
I wish I had something positive to share, but I don't today. Instead I'm going to vent. Scroll down if you don't want to be discouraged.

Since my build started there have been mistakes made due to the wrong drawings being used. Some huge ones, which took incredible efforts to fix, and some small ones which were just annoying. Either way, I thought we were past that point and that everybody was finally on the same page.

I've now discovered that not only are they using the wrong drawings, but the ones they're using are so out of date that all the finishing steps are wrong. Wrong spa, wrong electrical, wrong pre-wiring, you name it. All because my BC ignores my requests to have the current documents circulated to the builders. I'm out there every single week finding more and more mistakes - right now my list of problems has 41 items on it, and the thing grows every time I go out there.

To fix some of these things they'll have to move power points, rewire things, and patch up the holes in the plaster which could well lead to more defects. Some of my shelving and cupboards will have to be ripped out and re-done. And I'm going to need to be out there twice a week for the rest of the build to provide quality control.

PCI is only a couple of weeks away, and I honestly cannot imagine it going well. I've held back terminating my lease on the current house because I don't believe they'll hand me the keys when they say they will, and now I'm starting to suspect my paranoia is right.

So here's a tip for people starting their builds. Go onsite during the working day and ask to see the plans the guys on site are working with. Compare them to what you believe are the current ones. Don't trust your BC or SS to do this for you - mine didn't.

Days like this make me wonder why PD doesn't pay me a salary to co-ordinate this build for them. I'm certainly racking up more hours than my BC does on it.

Reading your post made me think I am not the only step child of Porter Davis, my build was going smooth till we got into fixing stage. Changed OH cabinets with Aluminium Ali Frost instead of laminate without notifying that laminate is discontinued. Don’t know when my Portico Render become Portico Pillar only un-finish/Open words in PCV’s.

Wrong translation from Colours documents (finalized after final contract) leads to wrong drawing, and BC saying its colour consultant (they should have told you regarding discontinuation) and me (I should have asked about the discontinuation) responsibility to check drawings.

More over I got the invoice yesterday that my fixing stage is complete, reported this to Helen and PD management. Waiting on someone senior/decision maker to give me a call and logical reasoning why there is a difference in 3 documents or correct the highlighted issues.

Apologies or excuses won’t fix things, solution fix things. I am paying top Dollars to get good results what if I have send them million thanks should they build the house for me???
meowsy
Lurgen- how do the wrong plans get circulated? Were the drawings changed a couple of times during the pre-start process?

Drawings changed once during pre-start, and electrical selections changed a bit later on due to some problems out at Hopetoun (they really didn't do a good job with my selection appointments). There have been a few PCVs as well, mostly to deal with corrections to problems that were detected during build (windows that couldn't fit, cabinets that were impossible to install, etc.) that resulted in drawing changes.

It's pretty common for your final documentation to change once or twice between pre-start and fixing stage, but I guess that mine changed more than most when my Hopetoun visit went wrong.

The frustrating thing is that I have asked so many times for the current documents to be checked with everybody, because I kept spotting glitches that could only relate to dud drawings being used.
Lurgen
meowsy

Drawings changed once during pre-start, and electrical selections changed a bit later on due to some problems out at Hopetoun (they really didn't do a good job with my selection appointments). There have been a few PCVs as well, mostly to deal with corrections to problems that were detected during build (windows that couldn't fit, cabinets that were impossible to install, etc.) that resulted in drawing changes.

It's pretty common for your final documentation to change once or twice between pre-start and fixing stage, but I guess that mine changed more than most when my Hopetoun visit went wrong.

The frustrating thing is that I have asked so many times for the current documents to be checked with everybody, because I kept spotting glitches that could only relate to dud drawings being used.

I discovered that one set of trades were working off my Draft Construction Drawings - these are the drawings sent to you to fully review and then sign off just prior to Site Start. We had a few changes made of errors listed in the draft plans or where things weren't consistent between the various draft plan pages. I wasn't signing any draft drawings until I was totally happy. However it was the draft drawings sent out to the Plumbers (at least).
Quote:
Going well ajd78 - we didn't have much action from tues to fri of last week - but happy to say they are there pouring our slab today, way to go boys - haven taken them some donuts and taken some action pics - so exciting. I shouldn't complain as its only 15days into it and we already have a lovely patch of concrete to show for it!

Fantastic... Im glad things are progressing... It is hard to wait for the next thing tho I must say.. We had wood delivered today for the frames - and no one there to use it.. lol... Don't these ppl work in the rain??? lol ;0)

MummaDJ, im sure the last bit must feel like its dragging on... I guess we just look at the fact that they have moved on so quickly - I guess... But it would be hard once you get past lockup as you cant see what is happening from the car on on a drive by...

Dave73 - +1 here too... A few minor things thus far but all in all a good experience.

Re the BC. I think they are really under the pump at the moment. I have absolutely no probs with mine - but she has 50+ houses she is working on at the moment. If I don't hear from her within a couple of days I might ring again but I try and cut her some slack because I know she is looking at and she calls me when she has an answer. That said, I haven't had to wait more than 24hrs.

Also, anyone who is have a building inspector - highly recommend Houspect. We have got them for the 5 stages. They did slab and highlighted a few minor issues but I guess that would overcome the potential prob relating to wrong plans - picking them up at a very early stage!
ajd78
Quote:
Also, anyone who is have a building inspector - highly recommend Houspect. We have got them for the 5 stages. They did slab and highlighted a few minor issues but I guess that would overcome the potential prob relating to wrong plans - picking them up at a very early stage!

We were quoted by Building Expert but haven't commited to anything yet, been hearing good things about them too. Why were there 5 stages for you? I thought there were 4 stages only - pre-slab, frame, pre-plaster and final?
its funny with the BC's I feel bad for mine each time she has called to inform me of something I have been the one telling her I will call her back or having the phone cut out - and I always seem to be at work when they call - so its usually me returning their calls not the other way around...
but I haven't had any problems with mine.
We have a great BC and SS.
I would be very careful about having a thread as mentioned above. Just remember your legal stuff. Also, at the end of the day, if you have a problem, then you should be speaking to their management or send Helen on here a PM.
We built with PD about 5 years ago and had a pretty good experience, we had a super BC and SS and their attention to detail was fabulous. I won't say it was perfect because it wasn't, there were some small things that went wrong but the majority went right. We still live in that house today and when we needed to build again we had no hesitation in going with PD because of the previous experience.

This time around it has been pretty awful so far as the admin has gone. We have had to have multiple appointments, I have continually chased my BC by email and phone, I put everything in writing and get no answers to my emails. Yes I have spoken to her supervisor, but it gets me nowhere. Today I got a warning letter because no asset protection permit has been issued, which supposedly has to be issued 5 days before build commences. I sent this letter to my BC on 12th June, chased up her manager on 18th June about it because she did not acknowledge it. Yes, PD handle this, no problem. Uh, maybe there is a problem if the permit has not been issued because we started on site on 7th August. Sent off this warning letter yesterday, you guessed it, no response. To be perfectly honest I don't care if she has 1 or 100 houses to look after. I am paying PD to do a job, getting the staff to do that job competently is PD's problem.

Can I say I HATE THAT PD DO NOT HAVE 24/7 ANYMORE! I cannot see what is going on, I cannot tell if my emails are being logged, if anyone has read them, or what permits have been issued. PLEASE Helen, can you reiterate to PD management how frustrating it is not having this. Last time I built I made sure the plans on 24/7 were the right ones for everything and then there was no issues with different variations of plans floating around, not to mention being able to see what is/is not happening. I could have seen that the asset protection permit has/has not been issued etc. Instead of the frustrating wait for a call back or email.

We have now started at site and the slab SS seems to be on the ball and has actually called me with no prompting. So I can only hope the actual build goes well.

End of rant!
Sorry guys!
Back Pocket
We built with PD about 5 years ago and had a pretty good experience, we had a super BC and SS and their attention to detail was fabulous. I won't say it was perfect because it wasn't, there were some small things that went wrong but the majority went right. We still live in that house today and when we needed to build again we had no hesitation in going with PD because of the previous experience.

This time around it has been pretty awful so far as the admin has gone. We have had to have multiple appointments, I have continually chased my BC by email and phone, I put everything in writing and get no answers to my emails. Yes I have spoken to her supervisor, but it gets me nowhere. Today I got a warning letter because no asset protection permit has been issued, which supposedly has to be issued 5 days before build commences. I sent this letter to my BC on 12th June, chased up her manager on 18th June about it because she did not acknowledge it. Yes, PD handle this, no problem. Uh, maybe there is a problem if the permit has not been issued because we started on site on 7th August. Sent off this warning letter yesterday, you guessed it, no response. To be perfectly honest I don't care if she has 1 or 100 houses to look after. I am paying PD to do a job, getting the staff to do that job competently is PD's problem.

Can I say I HATE THAT PD DO NOT HAVE 24/7 ANYMORE! I cannot see what is going on, I cannot tell if my emails are being logged, if anyone has read them, or what permits have been issued. PLEASE Helen, can you reiterate to PD management how frustrating it is not having this. Last time I built I made sure the plans on 24/7 were the right ones for everything and then there was no issues with different variations of plans floating around, not to mention being able to see what is/is not happening. I could have seen that the asset protection permit has/has not been issued etc. Instead of the frustrating wait for a call back or email.

We have now started at site and the slab SS seems to be on the ball and has actually called me with no prompting. So I can only hope the actual build goes well.

End of rant!
Sorry guys!

Hi Backpocket,
Just wanted to let you know that your concerns have been passed onto the regional business manager. We will be back in touch with your ASAP.
Regards, Helen
Lurgen
meowsy

Hi Lurgen,
Your Building Manager has been made aware of the issues you have raised. PD will be back in contact with you ASAP
Regards, Helen
A big -1 for my BC. They have been reprimanded by senior management for multiple wrong doings with us yet still waiting for costs on something a week later.

I have been given all the excuses under the sun over the past few months- our email didn't work for two weeks (so my 4 emails and 3 phone calls didn't make it through), all my phone numbers were engaged when I asked for a phone call (impossible since my work, home and mobile are all through to voice mail), and total non responses to requests.

I'm with Back Pocket on this - I don't care how many houses they have to look after. I'm spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for them to do a job and I expect them to provide reasonable customer service.
MummaDJ
We have a great BC and SS.
I would be very careful about having a thread as mentioned above. Just remember your legal stuff. Also, at the end of the day, if you have a problem, then you should be speaking to their management or send Helen on here a PM.

Agree with this
Jackula
ajd78
Quote:

We were quoted by Building Expert but haven't commited to anything yet, been hearing good things about them too. Why were there 5 stages for you? I thought there were 4 stages only - pre-slab, frame, pre-plaster and final?

Hi Jackula.

We have been very impressed with Houspect - with the contact we have had. They are very approachable and very organised. They knew when the slab was to be poured before us! We chose to do the five stages because I wanted someone independent - on my side and I am the sort of person who is very anal and could easily spend 50hr on the weekend with a tape measure making sure plumbing, doors and windows were in the right place. SOOOO, to take the stress off me, we hired them. I want to "try" and enjoy this building experience.. hehe.. You can do all or some or one of their 5 stages but for the $2k (or just under) we are paying for the service, we think it is a good investment given the amount we are spending... Their five stages are;

1) Slab down/base
2) Framework (walls and roof frames)
3) Lock-up (Roof covering, external walls, doors)
4) Fit out/Fixing
5) Practical Completion

Hope this helps....
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum