Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 392 of 862
hi again,
yes Lurgen, we keep everything in writing...CYA! and yes we are building Darnley too which is a discontinued product. we did not know this till much later! I agree it takes a massive toll on our family life...
we are building in Point Cook...I am not sure what house we will find though!!! oh well there is always VCAT!

gnite all

cheerios
MumNick
Hi guys,
it is late on a Tuesday evening and I thought I would share this with all of you building with porter davis. we are in the frame stage and was reluctant to post this but I felt you should know.

we chose them as the sales person
in their west office was amazing and kind. but that is where the great experience ended.from there every step of the way has been a struggle to say the least

1) they have terrible internal communications:
...e.g at our electrical appointment they got the package wrong, the color we chose is out of stock....and WE had to let our BC know...they never tell you!

2) follow up
: unless you tell them there is a mistake they don't know: e.g in a redraft of some plans they "forgot" to look at the building to land ratio...we picked this up. it would have cost us a fortune, if we did not notice

3) attention to detail : : as of this morning our Site Supervisor informed us that the Base pour supervisor had "new plans" but he has the "old plans". this has resulted in a wrong frame being constructed as opposed for the base.

Our BC also did not notice that the council had stamped the wrong permit building plans....again we had to inform them

4) they have got the name of the street on our invoice, contract, letters etc wrong so many times, even the bank is getting angry.

we have spoken to our BC and all we get is a "sorry, please trust us and we promise this wont happen again"

but now after today' experience, I am very worried on how our dream home will look and stay in tact...

this is only a few errors I have written, the list is endless!

have a great night, as from now till settlement WE WONT be sleeping much!

cheerios!

Hi MumNick,
What you have outlined above is concerning and needs to be looked into ASAP. Could you please PM me with your build and contact details and I will escalate your concerns to the appropriate building manager?
Regards, Helen
We have had our site cut today, before the rain thank goodness!
Fingers crossed it is not too wet and hope that the rain does not hold us up too much. Such a relief that PD have actually started, at least there is now an end in sight.
Back Pocket
::cheerleader::
We have had our site cut today, before the rain thank goodness!
Fingers crossed it is not too wet and hope that the rain does not hold us up too much. Such a relief that PD have actually started, at least there is now an end in sight.

Yippe, exciting stuff in deed!
Mumnick that really scares me. I find that a huge worry!
Wow the issues just keep coming.

Our WRONG kitchen tap which we're STILL waiting for the correct one to come literally just exploded on us tonight. Turned it on and the top off literally just fell off laving water EVERYWHERE and all over our ceiling.

The tap literally could have hit someone in the face and now we're concerned that our ceiling is damaged.

I have no idea what trades Porter Davis are hiring but so far with our experience it sounds like they are cutting costs and using cheap trades.

I'd say it again, what a joke.

Hi Tai27,

Your tap issue has been reported to the building manager. Someone will be in touch with you ASAP

Regards, Helen
Early days yet, but we had a slab pour today - on a Saturday.. I was shocked to see them there! :O
MummaDJ
Great ajd, can't wait to see yours take shape and check out your colour scheme in action. Won't be long, I can't believe how quick it has gone - week 15 it is for us now, unbelievable!

Hopefully that pool of water drains away pretty quickly. Our rental property had rain dripping in the windows on Saturday - not great!!! Can't wait to move. So close but yet so far!

Looking great Mumma DJ!!!! But why on earth would they do the Top LHS cupboard 350mm and the rest 400mm??? Weird!

Off to check our plans...
inglewood
MummaDJ
Great ajd, can't wait to see yours take shape and check out your colour scheme in action. Won't be long, I can't believe how quick it has gone - week 15 it is for us now, unbelievable!

Hopefully that pool of water drains away pretty quickly. Our rental property had rain dripping in the windows on Saturday - not great!!! Can't wait to move. So close but yet so far!

Looking great Mumma DJ!!!! But why on earth would they do the Top LHS cupboard 350mm and the rest 400mm??? Weird!

Off to check our plans...

I have absolutely no idea. It is packed out from the wall so that if you had handles they don't dint the door frame or wall, however we don't have handles! Grrrrrr!
Anyone here have problems getting in touch with their BC? We are having our tender appointment tomorrow and have no idea of what is going on at all. I have already rung the Keilor office multiple times and left a message to be contacted back. The most annoying thing is that we have not even started building anything as yet. All I needed to know was in what form does the 3% deposit due at tender appointment have to be paid? EFTpos? Credit Card? Personal Cheque? Bank Cheque? And if it is bank cheque, does PD honestly think that we all do not have day jobs to attend to and are free all day long to just nip into banks for a bank cheque……

I suppose i am just echoing previous poster statements on how the good service from PD ends the moment you hand over your deposit... and the scariest thing is we have not even started building!
we paid via direct transfer on the day - they can give you bank account details at your tender appointment - I believe you can pay with a bank cheque too ( doubt the personal cheque) and possibly with a credit card.
We dealt with Keilor Office and our BC has always got back to us in a timely fashion, and I really liked the guy who did our tender and contract appointments there he was great!
We paid by personal cheque at Tender. There definitely are frustrations in the administrative side of things. At Tender and Contract they ask you to fill out a feedback questionnaire, which I happily wrote a LOT! Hopefully they do look at the feedback and try to implement changes as this is where things are letting them down.
Thanks for the response guys. No good service to report of here unfortunately. We got called a week ago saying your appointment will be in a weeks time. There are no other time slots. Want another one? It will be a month away. BC was lacking in information and mentioned that more information will come through in the post. When I raised up the point that we have only a week for “more” information via the post to arrive, I was assured that they use express mail which takes a day to arrive hence information will be with me tomorrow. This was a week ago. Our tender appointment is now tomorrow and we have no information except for chicken scratchings I did while on the phone a week ago. Brilliant…
hocm
Thanks for the response guys. No good service to report of here unfortunately. We got called a week ago saying your appointment will be in a weeks time. There are no other time slots. Want another one? It will be a month away. BC was lacking in information and mentioned that more information will come through in the post. When I raised up the point that we have only a week for “more” information via the post to arrive, I was assured that they use express mail which takes a day to arrive hence information will be with me tomorrow. This was a week ago. Our tender appointment is now tomorrow and we have no information except for chicken scratchings I did while on the phone a week ago. Brilliant…

No that isn't fabulous. Recommendation is if you don't feel you have everything you need in the Tender appointment, don't sign. It may mean coming back a few days later (they will find the time). Be prepared though, our Tender took from 9.30am till around 4pm and this is because we had to leave. Remember that you can't make any structural changes after this time so you really have to be happy that everything is covered off. Good luck for tomorrow.
MummaDJ
hocm

No that isn't fabulous. Recommendation is if you don't feel you have everything you need in the Tender appointment, don't sign. It may mean coming back a few days later (they will find the time). Be prepared though, our Tender took from 9.30am till around 4pm and this is because we had to leave. Remember that you can't make any structural changes after this time so you really have to be happy that everything is covered off. Good luck for tomorrow.

+1 to that - go in assuming you won't sign on the day, be clear about that at the start, and take the documents home with you. If PD can't deliver on their promise of providing you appropriate information then I don't see any problem with that approach.

The tender is the first real engagement with a builder, everything before it is just pre-sales. Your tender appointment negates / overrides every prior discussion, and forms the baseline for your entire build going forward. Changing it becomes quite difficult, and obtaining new information becomes almost impossible after you've signed it.

With the payment on the day, I paid mine by credit card with no surcharge. I said similar things - they're out of their mind expecting a bank cheque for a random amount.

There are bright sides to the PD experience, despite the unusually bad customer service. You could get lucky like I did and have a great SS. You do get a rather good home at the end of it from what I can tell. But you'll have to fight hard throughout the process to make sure everything goes the way you want it to go.
tai27
Wow the issues just keep coming.

Our WRONG kitchen tap which we're STILL waiting for the correct one to come literally just exploded on us tonight. Turned it on and the top off literally just fell off laving water EVERYWHERE and all over our ceiling.

The tap literally could have hit someone in the face and now we're concerned that our ceiling is damaged.

I have no idea what trades Porter Davis are hiring but so far with our experience it sounds like they are cutting costs and using cheap trades.

I'd say it again, what a joke.

Has your tap issue been fixed by PD yet?
hocm

Hi hocm,
Could you please PM me with your proposed build and contact details and I will ensure that the relevant managers are made aware of this situation prior to your tender appt tomorrow?
Regards, Helen
Hocm, we eventually paid our tender deposit with credit card - which you can do if you have the facility. We had the intention on the day of paying but ended up not. It was a bit of a disaster to be honest. That said, it lasted about a week and everything was back on track. I will say everything has gone pretty much to plan since then. Although we are only just about to start frames tomorrow.

Clairemumto5 - how is your build going now? Any news on your slab pour?

Mummadj - how is your place going?
Hi ajd
Feels a little slow at the moment. There has been quite a bit of plaster patching to do which has held up the painters a little. However painters are on site preparing lots of things. Plasterers hopefully back later in the week to tidy up all the bits - there is a lot of pencil on the walls detailing all the bits that need fixing or slight dents that need filling etc.
The garage has been plastered inside fully with ceiling and walls and cornices. Also the Alfresco ceiling has been done.
Pretty much for the next 2 weeks will be the painters inside, plus the inside of garage, garage and alfresco eaves and ceiling. Thank goodness I don't have to paint all that!
A few other bits and bobs being fixed along the way.
So I am still working on all my post handover quotes - fencing, driveway, pool fencing! Nearly there!!!

Good luck with the framing - it is great to walk around in the rooms and get a feel for your floorplan.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum