Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 37 of 862
cjm
Just got the word that handover is on Friday!

Happy days!

What's the process? Do we just hand over the cheque to our site supervisor on the day? Do we have to visit the PD office?

Hi cjm,

Congratulations, that is great news about you handover. SSAZ is quite right, the handover process is nice and simple: your SS will take you through the house and then you'll be given your keys after handing over the final cheque to your CSA at the regional office. If you have any questions let me know. Keep us posted on how you go
Cheers, Jess.
Chorlton

Thanks for the reply. Some great advice there especially about checking the drawings carefully .......

As a side note, I still don't understand why we can't receive our floor plans once we have paid the initial deposit (at Tender) rather than having to wait til the Contract appointment before they are presented to us !!!

Seems a bit late if you then pick up an issue especially with everything else going on during this final meeting.

Hi Chorlton,

I understand you are excited to see your floorplans at the tender appointment, however, the reason this isn't possible is because after your appointment your tender gets sent off to the drafters who draw up your contract plans based off your specific tender.

Don't forget your CSA is available to help you with these types of queries - they are great at clarifying these sorts of questions. I hope that helps. Goodluck with your contract appointment
Hi everyone,

For a while now, I have been following some of your builds with great anticipation. I was excited to come across the build of fellow HomeOne member, FlagstaffIV, who has recently moved into her new home! To celebrate the big move we have done a feature article on her home on the Porter Davis blog. She has offered some great insights into her home building journey and decorating inspirations. Please come and check it out here: http://blog.porterdavis.com.au/index.php/2010-12/1124/

Cheers, Jess.
MelNRob
Hi All,

Have been reading this thread over the last couple of days and found it very useful! My other half and i are building with PD (the Waldorf 44) on our own land. Knocking down the existing in February and looking at site start in April 2011. It's still early days yet with PD but i think after all the good and bad things i have read, will be well equipped on what to ask/look for when dealing with PD/SS etc over the coming months. Like in any business, you have the good and the bad, it's just how you deal with the situation that is important. Work on finding a solution is key, not dwell on the problems.
Mel

Hi MelNRob,

It's great to see you on the forum. The Waldorf 44 is a lovely home, you'll no doubt be very happy with the end result. It is true, the building process can be a testing and sometimes exhausting journey, but I can only recommend that you keep in regular contact with your Customer Service Administrator throughout your build. They are there to keep you updated on your build progress and answer any questions you may have. However, I'm also here on the Homeone forum to help you out, so feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Not to mention the countless other forum members here that are always willing to answer questions and offer you honest advice. Good luck with your site start in the new year. I hope everything goes smoothly for you, I look forward to seeing your updates on the forum. Cheers, Jess.
Just wondering if anyone who has built with PD culd comment on how long the build actually took? If I start in March is it possible it maybe be finished by October?
Team PD
gumboots

I email my CSC because whenever we ring she's never available and don't even get an email back!

Anyway it doesn't get any better, I am still chasing up some minor stuff from 3 month maintenance and we moved in late Feb/early March. I understand its hard to track when tradies don't show up but I have called about a particular item 6 times (thats just the times I got through and talked to someone - about a 20% strike rate I find) and he still hasn't come.

Hi gumboots,

I just wanted to follow up on your maintenance issues. Did you manage to get in contact with your CSA and get things sorted? Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers, Jess.

Hi Jess

The first of the leaking showers is being fixed tomorrow with the shower screen taken off for the second time yesterday.

Unfortunately:
- they took off the wrong screens first so the less urgent shower will be fixed first and the other not until after mid jan when all the contractors are back at work;
- the nice lady is gone and the rude lady is back;
- getting one shower fixed tomorrow is the fifth option since reported early October - with the first three offered unsuitable since I am not willing to leave a key out for tradesman and due to prior experience with people not turning up, I'm not taking time off work to sit around waiting for tradesmen not to show up (the third one was offered three times over a week as a 'win' situation before they understood we would not be home), and the fourth involved leaving the shower screen off for 4 weeks over christmas;
- we were promised an early morning visit which has now changed to a midday visit, meaning my OH has to get up after four hours sleep to let them in (if they come)
- I have no idea when they are coming to put the shower screen back on once it is fixed
- the guy bent the shower screen while taking it off but I am not officially reporting this because if I do he may not put it back on in the meantime and I am not up for sharing my ensuite for who knows how long until we can get a replacement.

Not a word about all the other stuff so with all of that outstanding for 7 months I may as well wait another two and start the whole process again with my new list for 12 month maintenance.

But at least one issue is potentially getting fixed tomorrow!
Audreyand Oscar
Just wondering if anyone who has built with PD culd comment on how long the build actually took? If I start in March is it possible it maybe be finished by October?

Please see my signature for details ...
Audreyand Oscar

We built 40sq single story. Started 18th of June and had handover 18th December, right on 6 months so I'd say you were a chance.
Audreyand Oscar

Hi Audrey,

What size house are you building? Ours was <20sqm... site started on 1st June 2010, slab poured 11th June 2010, got my keys 11th Nov 2010. We fell just outside the 20 weeks guarantee, mind you we have been one of the lucky ones. One of the people that are building in the same street as me had their site start 1 week after mine and still are not in their place as there was a bad brickies shortage
Audreyand Oscar

Hi Audrey,

We are building Brookvale 50. Site started early August. Worked stoped due to rain. Slab end of Sep. Now fixing completed. But hand over is in April. Long wait but the actual house finished in 3 months.

Regards
Yellow
Thanks everyone - I'm building a Prestige 29 sq home.......I think I will budget storage until at least November....just in case! Have my colours appointment next Monday, and have finally sorted out the finance (after being stuffed around by Choice for the longest time!!!!!!).
Audreyand Oscar
Thanks everyone - I'm building a Prestige 29 sq home.......I think I will budget storage until at least November....just in case! Have my colours appointment next Monday, and have finally sorted out the finance (after being stuffed around by Choice for the longest time!!!!!!).

Hi Audrey,

Our site start was 28 July, then there was a 2-3 weeks delay to lay the slab because of the weather. Hand over is supposed to be today but they still have to fix few items from the PCI, so it has been rescheduled to next Wednesday. Total building works is going to be 148 days.
Thanks SSAZ - you must be so excited, congratulations and thanks heaps for the info (I almost chose the Camberwell myself!)
Audreyand Oscar

Hi AudreyandOscar,
Congrats on getting your finances all sorted
goodluck with your colour appointment, keep us updated on how you go. Cheers, Jess
Team PD
MelNRob
It's great to see you on the forum. The Waldorf 44 is a lovely home, you'll no doubt be very happy with the end result. It is true, the building process can be a testing and sometimes exhausting journey, but I can only recommend that you keep in regular contact with your Customer Service Administrator throughout your build. They are there to keep you updated on your build progress and answer any questions you may have. However, I'm also here on the Homeone forum to help you out, so feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Not to mention the countless other forum members here that are always willing to answer questions and offer you honest advice. Good luck with your site start in the new year. I hope everything goes smoothly for you, I look forward to seeing your updates on the forum. Cheers, Jess.

Hi Jess,

Thanks for the welcome. Really excited for the process to begin...house demo in feb will be here before we know it!

I have really found the feedback from various members helpful! i find i'll have questions milling around in my mind and when i hop on here to ask them, i can usually find the answer in a thread anyway!
Slightly off current topic - but does anyone know where Porter davis get their feature light fittings for the Prestige Display homes? I am looking for lights over the kitchen bench and can't find anything similar anywhere!
Hi Audrey,

Doesn't really answer your question but might give you an idea along the lines

I'm looking at getting kitchen bench lighting too and my boss gave me a good idea the other day.

If you want it fitted afterwards, they are flat LED quad shelf lighting (Home of Lights, Nunawading supply them). At approx $60, It comes in cheaper than what we have been quoted through PD. You can stick the light itself underneath the cupboard (has a strong adhesive sticker thing)

You won't get that big box on the lowest shelf of the overhead cupboard like you would with downlights. Also it wont generate so much heat!) If you have someone handy, they would have to drill a small hole and feed the cord to the light through and then connect it to the transforner which is probably about 20 cm by 10cm). I'm not an electrician so this is only an assumption on my part...hope it helps!

Cheers,

Mel
great info thanks! but i actually meant the three feature lights over the island bench.....however now I want under the cupboards too!
haha! I apologise to your other half in advance for the added cost!

I haven't had my electrical meeting yet so can't help you on that, sorry...
MelNRob
Thanks for the welcome. Really excited for the process to begin...house demo in feb will be here before we know it!

I have really found the feedback from various members helpful! i find i'll have questions milling around in my mind and when i hop on here to ask them, i can usually find the answer in a thread anyway!

We have just moved out of the gully (I still work there), might have come across you at some stage LOL
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum