Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 359 of 862
Hi Inglewood, that was a bit disappointing.

After the initial shock at the site costs, we asked immediately about the disability issues. We told them at that point, if they could not do those, then we would not be able to proceed as they are non negotiable. None of that was on the tender at all.

The tender presenter had only got to have a quick look at the document before talking to us. We ended up having to talk to the production people and get the ok there. At this point, as it is a disability issue they will leave the shower open with no lip but will need to waterproof the entire ensuite as there is no way of containing the water to the shower area otherwise. We will have to put in either a shower curtain or a get a glass place to put in the glass screen after handover. They will also have to put a small "mound" at the doorway of the ensuite to ensure any water in the ensuite drains away from the bedroom. The mound will not be a step just a gentle rise as I understand it so there is no step to get over. The production people also gave the Ok for the overheight toilet we requested. However, as none of this was in the tender, we have no prices for any of it, which is a bit concerning.

Almost none of our window or plaster requests were on the tender either. Apparently, the estimator had printed the document before he finished everything on the tender and they could see it on their system but could not print it? and the estimator was not in today. We sat there for almost 4 hours whilst we went through it all again same as we did with the SC. We now have to have another tender appointment when they have done it all (and take another day off work, which is expensive when you work for yourself). This time I am not making an appointment until I know that they have a finished tender in their hands.

You would think that as the appointment was made more than two weeks ago, they had enough time to get it all together. I know PD build quality houses, they built the one I am living in but the admin process leaves a lot to be desired at this point.
Back Pocket
Hi Inglewood, that was a bit disappointing.

After the initial shock at the site costs, we asked immediately about the disability issues. We told them at that point, if they could not do those, then we would not be able to proceed as they are non negotiable. None of that was on the tender at all.

The tender presenter had only got to have a quick look at the document before talking to us. We ended up having to talk to the production people and get the ok there. At this point, as it is a disability issue they will leave the shower open with no lip but will need to waterproof the entire ensuite as there is no way of containing the water to the shower area otherwise. We will have to put in either a shower curtain or a get a glass place to put in the glass screen after handover. They will also have to put a small "mound" at the doorway of the ensuite to ensure any water in the ensuite drains away from the bedroom. The mound will not be a step just a gentle rise as I understand it so there is no step to get over. The production people also gave the Ok for the overheight toilet we requested. However, as none of this was in the tender, we have no prices for any of it, which is a bit concerning.

Almost none of our window or plaster requests were on the tender either. Apparently, the estimator had printed the document before he finished everything on the tender and they could see it on their system but could not print it? and the estimator was not in today. We sat there for almost 4 hours whilst we went through it all again same as we did with the SC. We now have to have another tender appointment when they have done it all (and take another day off work, which is expensive when you work for yourself). This time I am not making an appointment until I know that they have a finished tender in their hands.

You would think that as the appointment was made more than two weeks ago, they had enough time to get it all together. I know PD build quality houses, they built the one I am living in but the admin process leaves a lot to be desired at this point.

That is disappointing! We had to put off our contract date at the last minute so we told them that we needed all information before we re-scheduled our contract appointment that way we knew what we were up for before today.

Hopefully it will all be able to be sorted out for you at your next appointment.
I'm disappointed to hear people are still having such big problems with their tender. I had hoped my bad experience was a one-off.

While I think of it, is anybody out there seeing updates to their 24x7 site? Mine hasn't updated since last year and I keep hearing that "technical issues" are the reason why. Anybody else getting fed this line?

HD
[quote="Lurgen"]While I think of it, is anybody out there seeing updates to their 24x7 site? Mine hasn't updated since last year and I keep hearing that "technical issues" are the reason why. Anybody else getting fed this line?

Hi Lurgen
The 24x7 site has now been disabled. They have taken it away as of last Friday. I received a letter by post the start of last week informing me. They are working on a new more user friendly website - details to follow.
I logged into my 24/7 portal this morning and I had comments in there from when I spoke to my BC on Friday?
ftdt7882
I logged into my 24/7 portal this morning and I had comments in there from when I spoke to my BC on Friday?

That is weird, I tried logging in last Friday night and I couldn't, it wasn't accessible. Perhaps it is just some people and I am one that it has been closed on????
Anyway, hoping the new version will be great.
This maybe why some aren't updated very often or at all, as staff know that it is being phased out.
MummaDJ
ftdt7882

That is weird, I tried logging in last Friday night and I couldn't, it wasn't accessible. Perhaps it is just some people and I am one that it has been closed on????
Anyway, hoping the new version will be great.
This maybe why some aren't updated very often or at all, as staff know that it is being phased out.

It is a bit flaky, depending on the browser I use! Hopefully the new system will be updated more for everyone!
Hi guys,

Our build is progressing quite well so far. Bricks have been completed and scaffolds removed, plaster and cornice done. Quite excited to see the front of house without scaffold.

I have managed to update our blog, for those who are interested it's
http://micwaldorf44.blogspot.com.au/
Looks great Superdaddy! The Waldorf is a huge house. We went through the display just for giggles
Updated the blog after a long period of lack of posts ... couldn't get into the house.. they have completed the painting and started on the tiles..
24/7 Portal

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you all an up-date regarding the Porter Davis 24/7 portal. We have noticed that there has been some talk on this forum about this portal and given your comments we have decided to disable it. At the moment we are in the process of developing a new website and given your feedback on Home 1 and the fact that the current 24/7 portal would not be technically compatible with the new site, we felt the best option was to disable it as it was obviously becoming a cause of frustration for many of our clients. All PD clients should have received a letter about this by now but should you have any questions, we recommend you contact your BC.
Hi!

Just jumping in this thread, as a excited newbie, who has learned so much thanks to all of your input, so a big thank you!

We're upgrading to a bigger home
have just put the 1000 deposit on each the house and land. We're going with the Dunedin 29
. We wanted the alfresco, but have been advised we can't, as it would mean the building takes up 63% of the land which can't be done
we just can't go past the floor plan of the Dunedin so will do the alfresco after handover.

Anyway, just saying hi! Ad look forward to learning more and sharing
As our contract had to be posted to us (their printer network wasn't working and they couldn't print on contract day) we have time to check and recheck the contract with the intention of posting it back on Monday. So far we've only looked over the contract drawings and have found several mistakes. The drawings we were shown at our contract appointment were all correct - and our presenter kindly photocopied them for us to take home. The drawings that are in our contract are not the same!!!
They do not show the latest changes we had requested and yet those changes were on the copies we saw on the day!!!! Go figure!!!! 6 of the 11 pages of the contract drawings are incorrect.

It's also interesting to note that the contract drawings (both sets even though they are different) are both dated the same day

The changes that we made on contract day were added to a post variation contract - rather than the contract - we thought this was strange since they couldn't print that day anyway so we figured we'd get the whole contract and any post variation contract would be for after that - but maybe I don't know enough about that kind of thing. Should we expect that those changes we made should have been put in the contract?

In the mean time we won't sign or initial anything until we've spoken to them. I'll send our BC an email tomorrow after we've gone over the rest of the contract and will be asking for a new contract. Is that fair to ask?
Hopefully when we look over the rest of the documentation tonight I won't have any further items to add to the errors we have picked up.
Mumtomonkeys
Hi!

Just jumping in this thread, as a excited newbie, who has learned so much thanks to all of your input, so a big thank you!

have just put the 1000 deposit on each the house and land. We're going with the Dunedin 29
. We wanted the alfresco, but have been advised we can't, as it would mean the building takes up 63% of the land which can't be done
we just can't go past the floor plan of the Dunedin so will do the alfresco after handover.

Hi there!
Just wanted to say hello as we are also building the Dunedin 29. We were lucky enough to be able to add the al fresco area. It's a lovely floor plan.
We are a little more advanced and hope to have the slab down by the end of May, all going well.
inglewood
Hopefully when we look over the rest of the documentation tonight I won't have any further items to add to the errors we have picked up.

Enjoying your blog and love the style boards! How clever of you.....
jnkbids
Updated the blog after a long period of lack of posts ... couldn't get into the house.. they have completed the painting and started on the tiles..

Thanks for sharing your blog... The Waldorf is a lovely home and yours is coming up a treat....don't envy you doing the cleaning though LOL!!
inglewood
The changes that we made on contract day were added to a post variation contract - rather than the contract - we thought this was strange since they couldn't print that day anyway so we figured we'd get the whole contract and any post variation contract would be for after that - but maybe I don't know enough about that kind of thing. Should we expect that those changes we made should have been put in the contract?

In the mean time we won't sign or initial anything until we've spoken to them. I'll send our BC an email tomorrow after we've gone over the rest of the contract and will be asking for a new contract. Is that fair to ask?

It is strange for changes on Contract day be added as Post Contract Variation (PCVs). From my experience, you are better to have as much as you can finalised in your actual contract and have little PCVs. PD are also desperate for you to sign the contract so would normally act pretty quickly to get things into the document. PCVs for us took up to a month to finalise some information after we signed the contract.

Re your contract drawings - I suggest writing on the pages directly in red pen or using a highlighter to note things that are incorrect and exactly what you expect them to be. Then there is nothing lost in translation.

Goodluck.
Mumtomonkeys
Hi!

Welcome aboard. Make sure you check out the following for help:
Porter Davis Upgrades and Costs thread - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54817&hilit=Porter+Davis+Upgrades
Things you forget - go to summary on page 27 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5823&start=40
Does anyone know how much PD charge for a laundry chute?
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum