Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 352 of 862
AmyMumma23
skye02
I attended to home show today and was told by two floor layers i will not need quad around the island. They should be able do it with caulk. There is hope for my waterfall Caesar yet.

Good to know! That's one thing that's deterring me from that type of flooring but what is caulk lol!!!!!
Some sort of filler, putty or silicone??

It is a type of filler similar to the silicone used to seal around sinks etc, but your flooring person should try to get the colour to match your wood panels as closely as possible. At a normal glance, it is not noticable so makes it look as though the flooring sits flush against the benchtop. Often the caulking gap isn't very large.. a few mm to allow for expansion / slight movement of the floor boards.
For those who have completed building a house with PD, did you manage to get the painter to paint all the surfaces of the internal doors (ie top and bottom edges as well)? The painter says they only need to do the doors in the wet areas but my understanding is that Corinthian clearly says that the doors have to be painted on ALL edges including top and bottom edges

If your doors were painted, how did you get the painter to do it? Mine seems a little reluctant cos it is extra work for him
Another question... if you did chose the video intercom prewire, if the cable is cut wrongly, can it be fixed easily? Some tradesperson with itchy fingers cut away all the extra wire left (by the Argus people) to enable me to wire the intercom to the fence after handover..... why can't they just read plans?
Hi Our Grove, your blog looks great, looking forward to reading more about how things are going for you! What did you choose for your tiles and other colours?
Which house are you building?

Skye, that is great to know. I will have to ask WD some more about that as the chap I spoke to said it would have to have quad. Did I mention they did have a really good range of bamboo in there? I thought they were only going to have two colours, but they had heaps, if that is what you end up going for.
Hi Meowsy.
We are building the London 24 with quite a few structural modifications.
Our block is only 510sqm so we wanted to keep a big enough backyard, hence we've gone for one of the smaller houses! Definitely big enough for us though!

Our external colours are all the light and dark greys with white windows. We wanted a costal feel.
Internally we've gone with:
Paint Colour: Magnesium (very light grey)
Skirts, architraves and doors: White
Floor: Dark Timber look (Manhattan)
Kitchen: Benches: Crystal Chalk
Cupboards: Laminex Seal Grey (this is almost white but has a grey/green tint)

Wow, it all sounds so grey! But our aim is to keep it neutral and add to it with furnishings. We're not sure how long we will be in the house so don't want to put off any potential purchasers.

Which house are you building?

Looking forward to hearing about the process from everybody. We're just at the waiting stage with land due to title soon.

Definitely seems to be a range of experiences and impressions with PD in all the posts!

J
Grove: Nice! Great size land too, I don't know the floorplan but it sounds like you will have a great backyard. Colours sounds great, especially for the coast! It doesn't sounds grey at all, it actually sounds really contemporary and crisp. We're building the Montrose with 4th bedroom.

Did you find the magnesium is one of the standard colours? I'm trying to get to the bottom of exactly which colours are standard, and which are not. I had chosen a colour, only to find it is an upgrade. I'm waiting to find out how much it will cost me to use this paint. Which trim did you go for with the Magnesium paint??
meowsy
Grove: Nice! Great size land too, I don't know the floorplan but it sounds like you will have a great backyard. Colours sounds great, especially for the coast! It doesn't sounds grey at all, it actually sounds really contemporary and crisp. We're building the Montrose with 4th bedroom.

Did you find the magnesium is one of the standard colours? I'm trying to get to the bottom of exactly which colours are standard, and which are not. I had chosen a colour, only to find it is an upgrade. I'm waiting to find out how much it will cost me to use this paint. Which trim did you go for with the Magnesium paint??

What?! Paint colours have upgrades? I thought they were all standard? Wow.
Skye- apparently! I had my eye on Moody White, I think because it is from the Interior Design Catalogue, it is an upgrade- however, the Flokati, which is my alternative choice, is also in the Interior Design Catalogue, but IS standard. Go figure!
Meowsy: Paint upgrade? Yes, we were told that their standard is a two coat system and that all colours are standard.
The issue arises when some colours are recommended as three coats (by the manufacturer)- hence the upgrade if you choose one of them as the cost is in the extra coat. Different colour consultants say different things huh? Magnesium fortunately was just a two coat paint.
I love the Montrose - especially with that large kitchen window to the back where you can watch kids (if you have them) or friends in the back yard. Great family/party house!
We just went for a high gloss white to keep it all contemporary and crisp as you say!
I've used the flokati a lot with my work and it's a lovely warm colour so not a bad fall back!

We've found the communication a little bit off and our site costs escalated (as we had feared) but otherwise I think we've ironed out most of the issues and are keen to start on site!

Not keen about this quad detail that everybody is describing though!

www.ourgroveblog.wordpress.com
our grove, ah ok.... was that the trim you had in high gloss white?? I wonder if the reason I am supposed to apparently choose trim colour from the Wattyl Finishing Touches brochure, is because the Montrose is an Access home? Because none of them seem really suitable for what I had in mind.... hopefully I can at least choose something else and pay not too much extra. The flokati is nice, but the more I look at it , I think it is not going to be quite right.
Paint Colours

Hi All,
I noticed there has been some discussion on the forum of late regarding paint colours and I wanted to give you an update on recent delvelopments.

In 2012 Porter Davis Homes introduced a 3 coat paint system as standard inclusion to all plaster walls using Wattyl Low Sheen Washable Velvet paint. Clients can select any Wattyl colour with a White base at no extra cost. Variances amongst paint colours will occur if the colour has a Light or Dark tint base, therefore to avoid any unnecessary confusion we encourage clients to select only those with a White base tint.

Hopetoun Interiors was recently (early last week) advised by Wattyl that they have consolidated their Solver and Wattyl paint selection range. As a result, some colours have been re-named. Hopetoun Interiors is amending their documentation for distribution to all clients, however should you wish to obtain a copy of the newly revised range in advance (which lists all White based colours), you are welcome to e-mail colours@hopetouninteriors.com.au and they will be happy to assist you.

Hope this helps
Cheers, Helen
Back Pocket
Hi all
We have put down our $1k deposit and are looking to build the PD Hoffman. We built an illoura with PD 5 years ago and have started on the process again. I am wondering if anyone else is building/ has built the Hoffman with PD?
Cheers

Hey Back Pocket
I love the Hoffman. I've not even been in my new home for a year and already I want to build a Hoffman !
But I still love mine...
Good luck
Mike
our grove
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum! We had our tile and contract appointments today. It's been a roller coaster ride.
I've been reading back about the quads etc and when I get my head around it all will bombard you with questions as I'm sure some people are more advanced than us!
Good luck with your builds!

http://ourgroveblog.wordpress.com

Welcome! I will take a peek at your blog now
Look forward to following your progress!
Thanks for posting that Helen... hopefully when Hopetoun gets back to me I will be a little less confused.
meowsy
Thanks for posting that Helen... hopefully when Hopetoun gets back to me I will be a little less confused.

I've emailed too
I am hoping the colour I have chosen isn't extra!
our grove
Not keen about this quad detail that everybody is describing though!

http://www.ourgroveblog.wordpress.com

Same here. I'm getting closer to sorting out my contract but these quads are worrying. If anybody figures out a solution I think many of us would be interested.

Seems to me that the skirting boards aren't being used for covering the expansion gaps.
Lurgen, the only solution I have found is by having flooring done after handover privately. It's a shame though, PD may be losing money on having people do flooring through them because the won't install the flooring before the skirting.... they actually have a very nice range of engineered timber.

Wow, loving the london too ! There's one just down the road I'm sure I'll be checking out soon...

And a good blog
Hi all

Quick couple of questions. We will be coming up to tender soon and i am trying to budget (aren't we all!). I can't see these on the upgrades thread so thought I would ask if anyone had prices for:
Walk in shower
Three coat paint system to doors and architraves
Timbagrain garage doors

Thanks
Back Pocket, not sure about the 3 coat paint for trim, i am waiting to hear about paint upgrades.

The timber look garage door $1061
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum