Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 351 of 862
I'm pretty sure they have to start the boards on the length of a wall and work across.
That's what I thought Mimi.

Ill call my BC first thing and try and come to some sort of arrangement because I suspect that any sort of timber flooring will need to go under the island to avoid the quads.
It's been five months that I have got the keys for the house & still the initial issues that I have raised hasn't been fixed. Developer has mailed informing the building doesn't meet design standards & I still haven't heard from Porter Davis whether it will be rectified or not after raising with building co-ordinator few times. Also the floor boards are already rocking & unstable in the new house. I have postponed our 3 months inspections with PD as I want the initial issues to be fixed before having 3 months inspections. Is it standard practice that PD will take long to fix issues or is it just me not being lucky with my PD reprentatives.
[quote="tamugrg"]It's been five months that I have got the keys for the house & still the initial issues that I have raised hasn't been fixed. Developer has mailed informing the building doesn't meet design standards & I still haven't heard from Porter Davis whether it will be rectified or not after raising with building co-ordinator few times. Also the floor boards are already rocking & unstable in the new house. I have postponed our 3 months inspections with PD as I want the initial issues to be fixed before having 3 months inspections. Is it standard practice that PD will take long to fix issues or is it just me not being lucky with my PD reprentatives.
/quote]

Hi tamugrg,
I was under the impression that the issues with the developer had been resolved. I am now following this up again, as well as your concern about your floorboards, with the relevant manager and have asked that someone contact you ASAP.
Regards, Helen
skye02
That's what I thought Mimi.

Ill call my BC first thing and try and come to some sort of arrangement because I suspect that any sort of timber flooring will need to go under the island to avoid the quads.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are 'quads'?
ftd, basically this kind of thing that goes around the edges of the floor to cover expansion gap http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl ... x=77&ty=59
meowsy
ftd, basically this kind of thing that goes around the edges of the floor to cover expansion gap http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl ... x=77&ty=59

Ahhhhhh! Thank you! So basically if you lay your floor post handover, you'll need quads. Is that for tiles too or just floorboards?
ftdt7882
meowsy

Ahhhhhh! Thank you! So basically if you lay your floor post handover, you'll need quads. Is that for tiles too or just floorboards?

Quad is not needed for tiles. Its used on floor boards to cover the expansion gap when the floor has been put down post hand over. You can eliminate the need for quad on floor boards by removing the skirting boards prior to laying the floor, then replacing the skirts to covr the expansion gap. Looks much nicer this way imo.
mimi23
ftdt7882
meowsy

Quad is not needed for tiles. Its used on floor boards to cover the expansion gap when the floor has been put down post hand over. You can eliminate the need for quad on floor boards by removing the skirting boards prior to laying the floor, then replacing the skirts to covr the expansion gap. Looks much nicer this way imo.

Cool. Thank you!
^ yes, I should have mentioned that. For floating floors, not carpet or tiles.
Tagell2
To anyone thinking of building with Porter Davis

My son and i are building the Waldorf 48 House and Land Package
The Process started in October 2012 ...
We choose the Waldorf 48 for the great floor plan and wanted the house and land package thinking there would be no surprises with site costs or planning and building permits ...Be aware of all the costs before signing the contracts...
When buying a house and land Package we didn't realize that there where so many problems
1. You have to purchase the land before you have the contract appointment where you find out all the extra hidden costs that nobody can/will tell you about.
2.Planning problems that delays the site start
Told that our site start would be at the end of March early April 2013 at contract appointment 22 Feb....

<quote edited and reduced by kexkez Support Member. Please do not re-quote a post which does not abide by the forum TOU. The original post has only been left in this thread because a PD Staffer was responded before it could be removed. >

These are just a few of the problems we have had so far there have been many more to many to mention ...I will continue to post updates until the build is finished ...if it ever gets started

You are not alone with all of the cost increases you have been experiencing. I can't comment on the land issue as we bought our land separately, however at every turn we (and I think most of the people on this forum) have experienced the same painful cost issues.

Our tender was very much like yours in that the tender price was similar to the SC quote, only to find that many things had gone up and PD had left off the allowances we had put in for our electrical and tile upgrades. I'm positive this is not a coincidence. They want people to think that the price hasn't changed too much. We were lucky and we picked up all the cost variations during the tender appointment. I would suggest that next time you go armed with highlighters, calculators, rulers, red pens etc, etc and cross check EVERYTHING.

Another good thing to do is check out the PD cost upgrades thread on this site and try and work out (as far as possible) how much you should expect to pay for your upgrades before you go to your contract appointment and when you do attend make sure you cross check everything. You can expect more cost variations and random pricing to be introduced at this meeting too but if you're on top of everything you can challenge them as required.
Just a reminder for all with regards to the terms of Use of this forum. This forum is not an arena for airing serious grievances. If you have a genuine complaint about your builder, there are more appropriate avenues open to you to pursue your rights, as you may be aware.
I'd like to draw your attention to the Terms of Use viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19734 , and specificially to this post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29877 regarding your individual liability. Defamation laws are not necessarily dependent on whether or not your words are factual, so it's important that you consider the potential legal ramifications before posting negative views about a builder or any other party.
Whilst we are sympathetic to the position in which some members find themselves during the building process, we cannot allow potentially defamatory content to remain on the forum.

kexkez
Support Member
skye02
I don't believe PD tack skirting boards anymore
I have contacted my BC about my issues. I will see what she says. I am not having quads. Yuck.

I'd be happy to sign a disclaimer to floor that small section but I'm unsure if that can even be done yet.

When I spoke to the carpenter responsible for my build, he mentioned that PD do not tack skirting boards anymore. They used to be happy to do it, but they had a whole bunch of unreasonable customers who insisted that PD had to repaint / touch-up / repair the skirtings after the floorboards were installed even though the floors were done after handover. (which I have to agree is grossly unfair to expect PD to repair damages done non-PD tradies)

PD then decided they weren't going to tack them anymore to put and end to all the disputes, which I think is fair enough..
jnkbids
skye02
I don't believe PD tack skirting boards anymore
I have contacted my BC about my issues. I will see what she says. I am not having quads. Yuck.

I'd be happy to sign a disclaimer to floor that small section but I'm unsure if that can even be done yet.

When I spoke to the carpenter responsible for my build, he mentioned that PD do not tack skirting boards anymore. They used to be happy to do it, but they had a whole bunch of unreasonable customers who insisted that PD had to repaint / touch-up / repair the skirtings after the floorboards were installed even though the floors were done after handover. (which I have to agree is grossly unfair to expect PD to repair damages done non-PD tradies)

PD then decided they weren't going to tack them anymore to put and end to all the disputes, which I think is fair enough..

totally agree that others have wrecked it for us all.
A little melodramatic.... ^^

When we started building we wanted the skirts left off as another member who was also building with PD at the same time 'Rups' was having, but was told we MUST have them tacked on to get the occupancy certificate. We argued that some very modern minimalist style homes dont have any skirts, but we were ignored. We were forced to do this which caused damage and a lot of extra work filling holes, sealing gaps, re-painting as well as damage to the walls.
We later found out this was not a requirement at all!! Why the Northen office says yes and the Eastern office says no was just another one of those, shake your head and give in moments.
I just want to add that at no time did we ask, expect or get PD to repair the damage done to our walls and skirts in the removing of them, due to being forced to have the skirts tacked on.
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum! We had our tile and contract appointments today. It's been a roller coaster ride.
I've been reading back about the quads etc and when I get my head around it all will bombard you with questions as I'm sure some people are more advanced than us!
Good luck with your builds!

http://ourgroveblog.wordpress.com
I attended to home show today and was told by two floor layers i will not need quad around the island. They should be able do it with caulk. There is hope for my waterfall Caesar yet.
New Porter Davis display centre opening in Craigieburn

This weekend we open another display centre in the booming North at Aston in Craigieburn which will showcase three great designs – the very popular Montague from our Access range, the Hoffman from our Lifestyle range and the all new Essex – a new addition to the Lifestyle family.

Aston will showcase the latest in our new home designs and styles - another new display with a brand new design and two new World of Styles being featured with the all new Caribbean and Berlin styles. For those you who may have their colour selections coming up this is a great opportunity to take in our two brand new World of Style displays.

Our newest displays at Aston are on the corner of Dashing Road and Vantage Boulevard, Craigieburn, just off Craigieburn Road and will be open everyday from 11am – 5pm.
If you can’t make it this weekend, join us next Sunday the 14th April for a free family fun day to celebrate our newest display!
Melway Ref 386 A7
skye02
I attended to home show today and was told by two floor layers i will not need quad around the island. They should be able do it with caulk. There is hope for my waterfall Caesar yet.

Good to know! That's one thing that's deterring me from that type of flooring but what is caulk lol!!!!!
Some sort of filler, putty or silicone??
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum